This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

I'll have to get new PS3 controllers next time I want to pop NCAA in.

Looks like that'll be an online purchase since the stores still want 45 for 'em.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Monster Hunter World has been pretty fun (37 hrs played). Its sold 8m copies, so i guess that says something.

I like that co-op/multiplayer isnt forced, but is always available.

I'm getting on PC as well (aug 9), as i have more friends playing there.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I’m probably a bit of an outlier but I’ve been enjoying Destiny 2 and the new expansion.

The base game is free this month with PS Plus. It’s been um, interesting watching newbies run around.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Binding of Isaac: Repentance announced.

If (and that's a bit of an if) it releases, it will officially include (most of) the Antibirth mod. Squee.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            I’m probably a bit of an outlier but I’ve been enjoying Destiny 2 and the new expansion.

The base game is free this month with PS Plus. It’s been um, interesting watching newbies run around.
            I have enjoyed my 3 hours or so at this point. People will ***** about this game regardless of what they do but I think they took a step in the right direction.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I’ve been hooked back into No Man’s Sky. Hard.

The updates these guys have made are outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. All for “free”. This should have been included day 1. It wasn’t, they fixed it, so kudos to them. It sounds like this won’t be the last set of major updates either.

The gameplay is still built on the same hunter/gatherer formula. But they’ve made it more complex. The missions are more varied but can still be a bit too formulaic. The worlds have become more beautiful and the photo mode has been significantly updated. It’s Minecraft if Minecraft were beautiful. It’s a gorgeous game. I’ve spent a bit of time exploring worlds just to enter photo mode and get that great shot. A nice nod to the photogs out there. Easy to get lost exploring worlds and watching the scenery. I know it’s a video game, but some of the shots I’ve taken in the new renderings are surprisingly fulfilling. Even as someone who is known in his circles for his photography.

I still think a lot of people still won’t find it compelling but the reviews of NMS Next have been overwhelmingly positive. Especially compared to NMS Release Day. But you don’t need to compare the two for Next to get a good rating.

If you bought it day 1, download the gigs of updates and give it a fair shot again. If you haven’t but you enjoy Minecraft, wait for it to go on sale this Turkey Day and pick it up.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                I have enjoyed my 3 hours or so at this point. People will ***** about this game regardless of what they do but I think they took a step in the right direction.
                I like a lot of things they’ve done, Gambit is fun as heck to play, and dislike some changes, like the new Clan XP or Infusion system.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I like a lot of things they’ve done, Gambit is fun as heck to play, and dislike some changes, like the new Clan XP or Infusion system.
                  I like that they have brought back random rolls but I wish you could break the gun down but be able to buy the "roll" back. Played Gambit for the first time last night and it was pretty fun.

Clan XP is annoying. I am indifferent on the infusion system because I think there should be some investment when infusing things up. We will see how impactful that is.

I think the way you can see you accomplishments/items is a blessing and a curse. I like finishing things and this is going to make me play more. Destiny has been very effective in making me like the rat pushing the lever over and over again to deliver more dopamine. Then again, it could be worse and I could be into gambling or hookers....
                  In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                  I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Couldn't resist the urge to smash some billboards - downloading Burnout Paradise Remastered.

PC version is $20 on *shudder* Origin and contains every piece of DLC ever released for the game.
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Dragon Quest XI is so good. Like a warm blanket of nostalgia. All the goodness without the tiny DS screen.

Im only 15 hrs in. I hope they kept map trading and some form of class changing in the game. Not deal breaker. But i liked those aspects as well.

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      Couldn't resist the urge to smash some billboards - downloading Burnout Paradise Remastered.

PC version is $20 on *shudder* Origin and contains every piece of DLC ever released for the game.
                      I picked that up for xb one awhile back.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The wife is looking at picking up an XBox One X to go with our 4K tv. She thought about holding out for the Fallout combo or Black Friday, but she's itching to play games and watch movies in 4K goodness and might pick up the Tomb Raider bundle today.

Spent last night copying all our games to an 8TB hard drive and downloading 4K updates in preparation.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Funny to look back on Burnout Paradise...it's considered the gold standard for open world racing, made innovations that are still being implemented in open world games today, and belongs in the conversation for GOAT racing game, but when it came out people skewered it for being different from the other Burnouts. The open form races were too confusing, they said.

Loads of game modes, fun to just drive around and jump in to whatever events, fun and easy online challenges, an insane amount of (mostly free!) DLC that put new spins on the game...Burnout Paradise did everything right. Shame that EA ate the series.

I am all in for a no-BS Midnight Club reboot as well, but Rockstar seems to have racing covered under the GTA V banner these days.

Comment

San Francisco Rush series always stood out to me.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Burnout Paradise is missing one key element that made Burnouts 2 and 3 so much fun: Crash Mode. Burnout 3 was the high water mark, and EA started to "Need For Speed"-ify it once they bought the series.

Burnout Revenge was a good followup effort from Burnout 3, but Paradise is where the majority of fans were turned off by the series.

There's just something about wanting to blow sh** up and cause the biggest dollar value wrecks that can be fun.

The biggest downfall is that EA will never release Burnout 3 as Backwarda Compatible because it was made by Criterion Games, and ego means more than profits. Well, that and the fact that it may not upconvert well to the newer XBox One / PS4 being an Original XBox / PS2 game.
                              Last edited by aparch; 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Burnout Paradise is missing one key element that made Burnouts 2 and 3 so much fun: Crash Mode. Burnout 3 was the high water mark, and EA started to "Need For Speed"-ify it once they bought the series.

Burnout Revenge was a good followup effort from Burnout 3, but Paradise is where the majority of fans were turned off by the series.

There's just something about wanting to blow sh** up and cause the biggest dollar value wrecks that can be fun.

The biggest downfall is that EA will never release Burnout 3 as Backwarda Compatible because it was made by Criterion Games, and ego means more than profits. Well, that and the fact that it may not upconvert well to the newer XBox One / PS4 being an Original XBox / PS2 game.
                                I liked the strategic element of Crash mode - figuring out where the point of impact (heh) is that will get every car in the intersection involved to maximum effect. 2's and Revenge's Crash modes were the best at this, 3's was pretty much "hit the 4x multiplier and pray."

Showtime mode in Paradise was probably the only way to implement something similar in an open world, but it turned into "ground break your way down the oncoming lane like a nincompoop for 20 minutes."

And even if EA does connect two neurons and reboot Burnout, they'll inevitably "pride and accomplishment" it up with loot boxes everywhere like they did NFS.

Comment

Working...
                                X