Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    I don't remember NES games being $60. Pretty sure SMB3 was only $44.99 or $49.99 as MSRP when it came out in 1990.

Super Nintendo games crept up, with Donkey Kong Country retailing for $59.99. Since then games have hovered at the $50 to $60 mark.
    Games were solidly $49.99 in the PS1 and PS2 era.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      I don't remember NES games being $60. Pretty sure SMB3 was only $44.99 or $49.99 as MSRP when it came out in 1990.

Super Nintendo games crept up, with Donkey Kong Country retailing for $59.99. Since then games have hovered at the $50 to $60 mark.
      The price of SMB shot up from the normal price of around $40 because it had become so extremely popular. I don't think it was the price set by Nintendo, it was more the stores getting a premium for it (which I didn't understand at 8 or 9 years old). I very specifically remember the price tag on the game because the store had set its display away from the rest, and there was a big Super Mario cutout with the price included on it. My mother about had a fit because she knew I wanted it, but that I also had the original Mario Bros game; she didn't understand that SUPER Mario Bros was a different game entirely.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

SNES games were like $70.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I really don't remember SNES games costing that much. Maybe I just didn't get the games right as soon as they came out, so I didn't have that initial sticker shock. Growing up an hour from the nearest Shopko, and an hour and a half from Wal-Mart meant I didn't games too often.

*edit* Found this old 1993 Toys-R-Us flyer with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter for $70. Nearest Toys-R-Us was three hours away. Maybe the "local" stores had prices a smidge cheaper for a reason.
          Last edited by aparch; 07-16-2016, 10:09 PM.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I seem to recall Virtua Racing for Genesis (one of the first polygonal 3D console titles) clocking in at $100.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

And $70 back then was an enormous amount to pay for a game. That's over $110 today.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And then there was Neo Geo.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Console prices adjusted for inflation from Kotaku:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...3cc5y96jpg.jpg

Wow, 2600 and Intellivision were spendy.

I remember one of the knocks against the N64 was its presumed high price, but it was a relative bargain.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Games were solidly $49.99 in the PS1 and PS2 era.
                    This. And also why I always waited a year or two before buying a game I wanted, given my tastes (sports). Massive dropoff in price in that genre.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/26/sega...ion-rerelease/

Shut up and take my money already!
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        Uhh, no. Not with the list of shovel-ware sh** that makes up over half the games bundled in that kit:
                        Adventure in the Park, Cross the road, Jack's Pea, Jewel Magic, Curling 2010, Plumbing Contest, Wall-Breaking, Bubble Master, Break a Fireline, Mahjong Solitaire, Warehouse Keeper, Chess, Memory, Snake, Air Hockey, Spider, Naval Power, Mr. Balls, Cannon, Fight or Lose, Bottle Taps Race, Bomber, Checker, Hexagonos, Whack-A-Wolf, Mirror Mirror, Panic Lift, Black Sheep, Flash Memory, Brain Switch, Mega Brain Switch, Hidden Agenda, Dominant Amber, Hide and Seek, Jura Formula, Lost World Sudoku, Meatloaf Rotation, Mya Master Mind, Skeleton Scale, T-Rex Memory Match, Yawning Triceratops
                        I at least recognized every single game on the Nintendo retro console as being a classic game. Not sure how Curling 2010 and Mahjong count as original Genesis titles.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Meatloaf Rotation
                          Okay, I gotta see this one.

ETA: these almost sound like bootleg ROMs. Not sure why Sega isn't disappearing them, let alone is proudly putting them on a sponsored product.
                          Last edited by Twitch Boy; 07-26-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Uhh, no. Not with the list of shovel-ware sh** that makes up over half the games bundled in that kit:

I at least recognized every single game on the Nintendo retro console as being a classic game. Not sure how Curling 2010 and Mahjong count as original Genesis titles.
                            Yeah the NES comes with plenty of recognizable games, many of them some of the best of that generation and even all time.

Sega is basically Sonic + shovel ware.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Yeah the NES comes with plenty of recognizable games, many of them some of the best of that generation and even all time.

Sega is basically Sonic + shovel ware.
                              Pretty slim pickings for bona fide Sega classics. Problem here is a lot of Genesis games were either A) cheesy mascot platformers attempting to cash in on Sonic B) third-party arcade/PC/Amiga ports or C) third-party games that were also available on the SNES.

Combing the nostalgia department for the games we played on Genesis:

Sonic 1, 2, 3
                              Sonic and Knuckles combined with the above
                              Road Rash 1, 2, 3
                              Phantasy Star
                              Vectorman 1 and 2
                              Altered Beast
                              Jurassic Park (the Sega one where you could play as a raptor)
                              Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3, Ultimate 3 (arcade port that was on everything, buuuuut Genesis was the only one with a blood code so I'll let it slide)
                              Street Fighter 2 Ultimate Turbo Championship Alpha EX+ With Cheese On A Stick Edition (arcade port, on everything)
                              NBA Jam (arcade port, on everything)
                              Virtua Racing (arcade port, but it WAS one of the first polygonal 3D console games)
                              A whole mess of EA Sports games, foremost NHL '94
                              Outrun (arcade port)
                              Hang-On/Super Hang-on (arcade port)
                              After Burner 1 and 2 (arcade port)
                              Space Harrier (arcade port)

ETA:

Earthworm Jim (third-party, also on SNES)
                              Those really good Virgin/Shiny Disney games (licensed, also on SNES)
                              Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3 (mea culpa, HOW DID I MISS THESE?)
                              Gunstar Heroes (Treasure, but published by Sega)
                              Last edited by Twitch Boy; 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM. Reason: this is going to torture me

Comment

Streets of Rage 1/2/3, Phantasy Star, Sonic Games, ComixZone, VectorMan, Altered Beast, Mortal Kombat 1/2/3, and Golden Axe are the reason this is worth the price of admission. Yea, the "puzzle" games are just fluff added to increase the number of games. Not denying that. But the games listed are some of the more solid options available from the 16-bit era. Plus it can play cartridges as well, so if you come across a copy of NHL '94 at a thrift store, have at it!
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X