• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitch Boy
    replied
    Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ok, I'm curious. So how does that work? Basically you get one game, three balls per round? How long does a game take for just one of the players?
    One game head to head, three balls per round (there are a few pins out there that work differently, but pretty unlikely you'll see one.)

There are all kinds of tournament formats - pingolf (reach target score in X number of balls, that's your score for the hole,) groups of 4 scoring 4-2-1-0 across several games, straight brackets, however people feel like running it.

As for ball length, pinball happens - you can have two stinkers and then a record-shattering third ball that lasts 15 minutes. Lots of the high level tournaments are beginning to livestream and they're insane to watch. Check out PAPA or IFPA tournaments.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Ok, I'm curious. So how does that work? Basically you get one game, three balls per round? How long does a game take for just one of the players?

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

After getting to know a few local livestreamers, I'm ramping up into competitive pinball.

Played my first tournament last night and I...didn't totally embarrass myself. Won two matches before I got bounced (3 strikes format, you play head-to-head against a randomly drawn player on a randomly drawn machine, lose and you get a strike, 3 strikes and you're out, last player standing wins.) All my losses were competitive too.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

As a semi competitive MTG player I’ve been playing the new Magic Arena in some of my spare time, mostly because it’s likely the future of the competitive realm of the game. I can see why it’s become popular, the flashy animations and the ease of access, but GD as regular player is there some frustrating stuff.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Game of the Year! http://www.stringanime.com/npc/index.html

Leave a comment:

• cF[Authentic]
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Berlin is awesome, I can give a lot of tips if you end up moving there. One of the best places I’ve ever lived
    I appreciate it. I live in Nürnberg but would love to hear more about Berlin as a resident vs a tourist.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Steam Winter Sale is on.

Picked up BeamNG.drive - driving simulator with a ridiculously detailed crash physics engine and a ginormous mod community (cars, stunt parks, etc.) Takes a pretty powerful rig to run it, but worth it if you can do it.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

Berlin is awesome, I can give a lot of tips if you end up moving there. One of the best places I’ve ever lived

Leave a comment:

• Transplanted Tiger Fan
    replied

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Applied for a job with Riot Games in Berlin, thoughts on League of Legends? I was surprised to find it was a freemium game. I haven't been addicted to anything since Counter Strike since college, save for some NHL and Fifa games, but that's mostly because I have been scared to try something new now that I'm all productive and ****. But if my job involves broadcasting live LoL games, I think I'd find myself quite addicted quickly.
    Dang... you may be getting "the Boy's" dream job! He would absolutely love to work there upon graduation (Computer Information Tech @ RIT). I may not be able to provide a direct answer your question on LoL, but I can say that "the Boy" lives and dreams it. He and a few friends even had us take a mini-Vacation to Toronto a few years ago so they could attend an E-Games event at the Air Canada Center, where his favorite teams were competing in the LoL World Championships. Of course I, being an old fart, had to wonder just what in the hell would possess someone to want to sit in an arena and watch people play video games, but the damn thing was sold-out, so that just shows what I know on the topic (nothing!), but there is obviously a market for it.

I have watched him play a game or two and it is well-beyond my level of understanding... but I also haven't logged hundreds of hours playing it either! I'm a good-old fashioned NHL'er as well, along with a variety of PSx console games like Uncharted, Battlefront, and [gulp] LBP (Platinum Trophy, baby!)... still have my original NintendoNES and Atari, too! I just never wandered into the PC platform realm of games like LoL... I've 'pizzed-away' enough time on the consoles!

Good luck to you in landing that gig at Riot Games!
    Cheers!!!
    ~TTF
    Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 12-14-2018, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cF[Authentic]
    replied

Applied for a job with Riot Games in Berlin, thoughts on League of Legends? I was surprised to find it was a freemium game. I haven't been addicted to anything since Counter Strike since college, save for some NHL and Fifa games, but that's mostly because I have been scared to try something new now that I'm all productive and ****. But if my job involves broadcasting live LoL games, I think I'd find myself quite addicted quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Some other little niche game, Super Smash Bros. is also out today.
    Can't taunt online, preorder canceled, 0/10 IGN.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Katamari Damacy Reroll out today for Switch.

Some other little niche game, Super Smash Bros. is also out today.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

So there's an app for Twitch that lets the streamer play SMB3 while allowing chat to spend bits to mess with them (spawn in Lakitu/Boss Bass/Angry Sun, steal all their time, force powerups on them, etc.)

It's a thing of beauty.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Looking forward to attending the Rocket League World Championship this weekend in Las Vegas. First eSport championship for me, should be a blast.

Leave a comment:

• Twitch Boy
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Oof. That list of games is terrible.

That said, we're close approaching the era (PS1/N64) of rightsholder hell where iconic games are third party games.

The rumored N64 Retro is going to flop if they can't secure rights from Rare, MGM, AND EON Productions for Goldeneye.
    Not surprising. Sony played a lot more fast and loose with third party licensing than Nintendo, because they were starting from nothing and desperate for games to jumpstart the system and become franchises. Result was a lot more saturated market.

And Perfect Dark is an acceptable (possibly superior) substitute if they can't chase down all the rights to 007. Rare is now owned by Microsoft, so good luck with that one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X