• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Was LA the game boy game?

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied

So I never had a gameboy, but as a Zelda fan I’m pumped for Nintendo’s upcoming reboot of Links Awakening for the switch.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Nice setup! Probably going to want a 2nd gpu in The future as games get more demanding with full 4k.

What are you planning to play on it?
    Play? He's going to mine Bitcoin!

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Nice setup! Probably going to want a 2nd gpu in The future as games get more demanding with full 4k.

Well, I'm not planning on doing anything in 4k in the near future. Got 2 1080p (144hz) monitors for now. As for 2 GPU's, either Nvidia will need to do a driver update to allow 2070's to be SLI (if that's even possible? In my mind it is, but not sure), or it'll be a generational upgrade for me, as only the 2080 and 2080ti can do SLI.

Honestly not sure how far down the rabbit hole I'll go. This is my first proper PC, so I've only gamed on laptops since High School (12-15 years ago now). I've got an HP Omen 17" Laptop now, so it does a pretty decent job with most stuff. Currently primarily Rocket League, occasional pillaging the seas on SoT, and some others I have but haven't played. Don't know if I'll dive into the BR genre too much, just don't have the time to grind and getting demolished constantly isn't much fun.
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 02-27-2019, 03:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a BLD rig yesterday.

General specs:

Intel 8700K (3.7 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads)
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8g
    MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
    16GB G.skill tridentZ, 3200 MHz
    2 SSD's (250GB EVO 860 (boot), 500GB EVO 970)
    4TB Seagate Barracuda
    NZXT Kraken x62 radiator
    NZXT h700i case

Should be a fun toy.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Pulled the trigger on a BLD rig yesterday.

General specs:

Intel 8700K (3.7 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads)
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8g
    MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
    16GB G.skill tridentZ, 3200 MHz
    2 SSD's (250GB EVO 860 (boot), 500GB EVO 970)
    4TB Seagate Barracuda
    NZXT Kraken x62 radiator
    NZXT h700i case

Should be a fun toy.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied
    Anybody have experience with acquiring gaming PC's using a pre-build company? I know I could do it cheaper on my own, etc, but I really want nothing to do with cable management, and it's worth the extra cost for me to have the peace of mind.
    I did this research just a year ago for my new pc. I decided to go with Dell/Alienware. I get custom build and a company ive heard of. It was worth the premium to me.

I ended up with intel i7 chip and dual 1080 gpus. Only bloat is tools related to lighting and diagnostics.
    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

I'm intrigued by NZXT's BLD service. Pay MSRP on all components, and only $99 fee for putting it together. Quite a few positive reviews from the bigger PC YouTube channels too. Also minimal bloatware installed upon delivery, usually just hardware related tools it seems.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Fair enough. I haven’t priced one out in like three or four years.

Regarding bloatware, not too difficult to reformat and reinstall.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I stopped believing the cheaper to build yourself nonsense after I priced everything out.

I’d you don’t want to run windows or office, yeah, cheaper. But when you start bundling things, prebuilt are a better deal. And come with warranties.
    Prebuilts were cheaper during the video card bubble because they could still get them wholesale. Now that video cards are coming back to earth, building your own is becoming more worthwhile again.

And the trade off for those warranties is the pre-installed bloatware.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Anybody have experience with acquiring gaming PC's using a pre-build company? I know I could do it cheaper on my own, etc, but I really want nothing to do with cable management, and it's worth the extra cost for me to have the peace of mind.
    Stay clear of cyberpower and ibuypower. Other than that, haven't heard anything good or bad.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I stopped believing the cheaper to build yourself nonsense after I priced everything out.

I’d you don’t want to run windows or office, yeah, cheaper. But when you start bundling things, prebuilt are a better deal. And come with warranties.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Been immersed in X-Plane 11 lately. Need to pickup a joystick and throttle at some point to make controls better.

Keyboard/xbox controller arent a great setup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X