• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Oh, and silly me. There were a couple actions shots of hockey in Manhattan Melodrama! I was shocked, to say the least.
    It may have been pre-code. There are scenes in Tarzan that will make your head spin.

Edit: oh, hockey. Never mind. I thought you meant action shots.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Oh, and silly me. There were a couple actions shots of hockey in Manhattan Melodrama! I was shocked, to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    Went to see Shutter Island in the theater this weekend. It was ok. Not Scorcese's best work. It was fun, but nothing to write home about. I may have enjoyed it more if I had not read the book beforehand. I thought DiCaprio was pretty good, despite his total inability to speak with an accent.
    Just went and saw it tonight. I liked it, and yeah DiCaprio's half-a55ed Boston accent was amusing. I will say that the plot twist towards the end didn't fully sink in for me until the final scene. Probably because I thought about it too much.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Well, I have to say, despite my higher than normal expectations, Manhattan Melodrama was *ing fantastic. The story really had a depth to it that I didn't expect. Gable was awesome, but I think William Powell really shined in the movie, really gave it its meat.

I very highly recommend this movie for viewing, it's more than worth it.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I'm about to flip a coin to choose either "Rashomon" or "Manhattan Melodrama." Probably will see the other one tomorrow.

And the winner is......"Manhattan Melodrama." It got a Best Writing Oscar, and it does have Clark Gable, so there's two plusses. And the story does sound interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X