This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

It's Ark, not Arc. I thought he meant a different movie.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Whats wrong with Lady GaGa?
      Nothing...if you are a 15 year old girl...or gay

Of course Scooby loves Daughtry too so I rest my case! Ya know, maybe you wouldnt be so pessimistic if you didnt listen to music and watch movies that make you want to put a bullet in your brain

I keed I keed
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Nothing...if you are a 15 year old girl...or gay

Of course Scooby loves Daughtry too so I rest my case! Ya know, maybe you wouldnt be so pessimistic if you didnt listen to music and watch movies that make you want to put a bullet in your brain

I keed I keed
        If you're a 15 year old girl AND gay, can you still like Lady GaGa?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If you're a 15 year old girl AND gay, can you still like Lady GaGa?
          Or if you're a 42 year old man can you still be a 15 year old girl and gay?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I would guess that depends on which state you're in.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

District 13: Ultimatum. Very, very silly. Not as much cool parkour as the original, more classic buddy movie stuff between the two leads (geez, kiss already), pretty good plot until the final 30 minutes when it became the kind of thing that only comes out of production meetings when everybody's high. B with some B+ moments for effects.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Only around Mardi Gras ... or maybe Carnavale ...
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                  South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut is on right now. Would you believe I didn't pick up on the title being a dick joke until about a month ago?
                  No. I don't believe that for a second.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/del-...-wont-be-next/

I dont think this movie (and its unneeded sequel) will make it to the screen.
                  Well that sucks. Shame on MGM for taking forever on this.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Another disappointment for me. I think Wes Anderson blew his load on The Royal Tenenbaums. I like the style of the movie, how he presents the story, but something is missing, and I can't put my finger on it. I wish it were something easy like "surrounding cast" or whatever, but that's not it.

It was better than The Darjeeling Limited, but that's not saying a whole lot. I guess watch it if you're an Anderson fan, but that's about all I can say.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I would guess that depends on which state you're in.
                      Hah awesome

Exile, I am not sure you can really blame MGM for this...there is a lot of money that will need to go into making this and even though in the end it will make a ton of money right now cash on hand is kind of important ya know. Plus, I just think Jackson is wrong with his idea to make it two movies. The book itself isn't long enough to warrant it (honestly it isnt good enough either but that is a different argument) and most people aren't going to understand the extra stuff they will probably add. (most likely from the untold tales and other later books)
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/del-...-wont-be-next/

I dont think this movie (and its unneeded sequel) will make it to the screen.
                        Jackson's a pompous windbag but for the sake of artistic continuity I'd prefer to see him do a one movie treatment of the Hobbit -- a young director making his bones would intrude too much into the story.

I'd also like to see it dwell more on JRT's philosophical and mythic tones, rather than making it a kids' action movie like the LOTR trilogy, but it's such a goldmine that will never happen. The only way that appears to be possible is a "sleeper," like Star Wars, where you don't know going in that you have McDonald's cross-marketing lined up.

BTW, the book is plenty good, I recommend it highly, being better than either Two Towers or Return of the King (though not a patch on Fellowship, which is one of the great books of the 20th century).
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You think the Hobbit was better than Return of the King...what kind of drugs did you do when you were at Cornell? Scouring of the Shire + Pellanor Fields + The Destruction of the Ring at Mount Doom >>> Everything in the Hobbit plus infinity!

The Hobbit sucked...Gandalf should have killed Bilbo off and fed him to the dragon. I will agree that Fellowship was fantastic though and the movie hardly did it justice.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You think the Hobbit was better than Return of the King...what kind of drugs did you do when you were at Cornell?
                            I read both when you are supposed to, in junior high school.

RotK doesn't interest me, I think Tolkein lost the balance between Christian fairy tale and Nordic mythos and just went with the blood and vengeance. But tastes vary.

I appreciate the Hobbit more now since it was JRT creating that whole world -- it's an amazing leap of creative imagination. LOTR, as great as it is, is in some ways just playing out the string.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I read both when you are supposed to, in junior high school.

RotK doesn't interest me, I think Tolkein lost the balance between Christian fairy tale and Nordic mythos and just went with the blood and vengeance. But tastes vary.

I appreciate the Hobbit more now since it was JRT creating that whole world -- it's an amazing leap of creative imagination. LOTR, as great as it is, is in some ways just playing out the string.
                              While sort of true there needs to be some clarification. The Hobbit was a children's story set in Tolkein's world of The Silmarillion. Instead of creating a new world for the backstory he used the same dwarves, and elves, etc. that he had created in what he would deem his life's work and used that setting to fashion a children's tale around it.

You are 100% in saying that The Lord of the Rings is a sequel to The Hobbit. However, he didn't know until he started writing that sequel that the Ring that Bilbo stole from Gollum was The One Ring that was fashioned by Sauron. The story kind of grew organically. The History of Middle Earth series has a number of the rough drafts of The Lord of the Rings that you can read and get a feel for how Tolkien started the book and how he got to the finish.

Your exception is noted but most folks consider The Lord of the Rings the gold standard of Tolkien's writing. It was what he was meant to write all along. The 3rd age of Middle Earth.

Comment

Funny, I look at it the other way...the Hobbit was a kids tale that was cheesy. LOTR was this epic tale that was so detailed and had so many threads that it is pretty much unrivaled in my mind. (minus the Two Towers...that book was lame until the point when Samwise becomes a man)

Either way, Jackson is a fool for trying to make The Hobbit into two parts, there just isnt enough story to do it and it will doom the project the longer he holds out for that.

edit: Scooby said it best!
                                Last edited by Handyman; 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X