X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    I agree that he does play a similar character in many of the movies, especially the romance flicks; he does comedy and drama equally well, IMO, which isn't that common. More like Cary Grant than any other current actor that comes to mind.
    Kevin Spacey and, weirdly, Matt Damon (who I never expected to be a good actor) also do both well, and they tend to not play "themselves, playing x" (a.k.a., Jack Nicholson Disease, or the Anthony Hopkins Flu).

We are definitely in an actor > actress period (similar to the 50's and 60's, the reverse of the 30's, 40's, 70's and 80's). Actresses have rarely been promoted to big roles due to acting abilities (alert the media), but there are periods when what passes for an "actress" is nakedly pre-determined, and this is one of the worst.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I saw Sherlock Holmes on Tuesday. Was entertaining, which is all I was looking for. So it's worth the $6.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I agree that he does play a similar character in many of the movies, especially the romance flicks; he does comedy and drama equally well, IMO, which isn't that common. More like Cary Grant than any other current actor that comes to mind.
        That is exactly what I was thinking. Think of Bogart the same way (in the Noir movies anyways) where you get the feeling the script or director maybe didn't envision him acting that way but he is who he is. It is (one of many reasons) why Casablanca is so awesome. (and the Maltese Falcon)

Although SOMETIMES Clooney doesn't play Clooney...despite my hatred of the movie Syriana I thought he was very very good in it and he most certainly wasn't George Clooney in it.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Kevin Spacey and, weirdly, Matt Damon (who I never expected to be a good actor) also do both well, and they tend to not play "themselves, playing x" (a.k.a., Jack Nicholson Disease, or the Anthony Hopkins Flu).

We are definitely in an actor > actress period (similar to the 50's and 60's, the reverse of the 30's, 40's, 70's and 80's). Actresses have rarely been promoted to big roles due to acting abilities (alert the media), but there are periods when what passes for an "actress" is nakedly pre-determined, and this is one of the worst.
          good points.

I think I appreciated Clooney more after "Oh brother...", because it was a real departure from the safe stuff he could have done.

Right now Kate Beckinsale is the greatest female actress...even if she can't act
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Right now Kate Beckinsale is the greatest female actress...even if she can't act
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

So I saw "Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus" starring (I use that word loosely) Lorenzo Lamas and Deborah Gibson last night.

Wow. I expected complete crap, and it exceeded my expectations. It's so terrible. Bad acting, bad fake Irish accent, a George Takei wannabe, a Chris Penn (!) wannabe, horsesh* dialogue....

That being said, it's perfect for a night of drinking and hanging out with friends. The MST2K concept would fit with this movie. The unintentional comedy is off the charts.

I loved it BECAUSE of how bad it was. I highly recommend it if you are in the mood to see absolute trash. It's like rocking out to an Asia or Kansas cd.

My buddy and I were talking, and we want the sequel to star Tiffany. It's only fair.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and guess all the humor in "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" is completely intentional.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and guess all the humor in "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" is completely intentional.
                  We thought at first that it might be, but uh, no. That *er who played the new Anakin is an Oscar-winning actor compared to the people in this movie.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    It's like rocking out to an Asia or Kansas cd.
                    I think it's impossible to listen to an Asia or Kansas cd without rocking out.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                      I think it's impossible to listen to an Asia or Kansas cd without rocking out.
                      In a satirical manner, maybe.

Comment

The Best and Worst Films of 2009

Of the 20 films listed, I've only seen one - the Transformers movie. I don't get to the theater much anymore.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Of the 20 films listed, I've only seen one - the Transformers movie. I don't get to the theater much anymore.
                          Which perfectly illustrates the reviewer's point that most movies are so childish and formulaic because the mental age of the average moviegoer is about 12.

I saw 2 of his 20, Inglorious Basterds and Hurt Locker, both of which were good.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Which perfectly illustrates the reviewer's point that most movies are so childish and formulaic because the mental age of the average moviegoer is about 12.

I saw 2 of his 20, Inglorious Basterds and Hurt Locker, both of which were good.
                            I haven't seen any on those lists, but I do want to see the ones you mentioned, along with "A Serious Man."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              The Best and Worst Films of 2009

I've yet to see Ponyo, but Miyazaki can do no wrong. But then again I don't think he'll ever top Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away. I love how he's not afraid to get ultra violent or disturbing at times when it's called for. The No-Face eating everyone it comes across before throwing them up. A****aka shooting arrows that rip peoples arms and heads off.

A lot of those movies I don't even remember hearing about, let alone having the option to see in a theater. I wanted to see Hurt Locker but I don't remember it being in theaters. Coraline I saw on dvd. Inglorious Basterds at the theater.

The only one on the bad list I saw was Transformers, and boy oh boy was that terrible. I stand by my opinion that the original, made to sell toys, tvshow is more coherent and enjoyable.

Comment

I look at seeing a movie in the theater differently than viewing it at home. When at the theater, considering the size of the screens and quality of the sound systems, I'm going for a visual and aural experience. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to watch movies at home; so I miss most of the truly good stories.

That being said, when I saw this last Transformers movie in the theater, it would go on may bad-movie list even though I do remember laughing a couple times. The two other movies I saw in the theater in 2009 weren't too bad - Star Trek and the latest Harry Potter movie.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X