X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Starring MNS?
    That's what I keep thinking when Netflix suggests it to me.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
      Guess I'm not going to movies anymore.
      Like you go to movies in theaters anyways, unless you're wearing a trench coat and the floor is extra sticky.

Saw Zombieland tonight at the cheapo theater in Ann Arbor. Now that is a good funny movie about zombies. About my only disappointment with the movie really is when they're in the hollywood mansion of BM and getting high they don't talk about the grass being good enough to play a few rounds on it and then being able to get stoned to the bejesus belt on it. Other than that, a fun enjoyable flick.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Watched "21" tonight.

Well, if you want an entertaining story about counting cards, this is your movie. Spacey is awesome in it, of course.

If you want to know the real story (which to me is just as entertaining, if not moreso than this movie), watch the Breaking Vegas episode on the History Channel.

Yeah, that's about all I got.
        You JUST saw this movie? Oh my goodness, I LOVE this movie!
        Application for Admission to the WCHA:
        http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
        Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
        Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
        Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
        All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Fitting a new thread needs to be opened the week Avatar opens.

Who's going to go see it? I'm planning on seeing it in Imax if possible.

I know there are plenty of people who are boycotting it but I'm pretty excited to see it. It looks very good and usually James Cameron delivers when it comes to good movies.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          It's a specious argument. They still need the actors to make the CGI lifelike. They have plenty of "making of" clips from this film and others that show that. You know, the actors with all the little nodes on their bodies to record their movements, etc.

If anything it takes more acting skill to act in front of a green screen that does not even reflect what really is going on in the film.
          First, it's the third movie to use all CGI on the screen, even though the actors attached the ping pong balls to their bodies in a studio (Beowulf and that new A Christmas Carol with Jim Carey). Second, Regardless, I'm not interested in seeing yet another movie where the white man is a steaming pile of racist crap. I've seen that move done before, only a few times has it ever been done well.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
            You JUST saw this movie? Oh my goodness, I LOVE this movie!
            A) I don't go to the theaters unless it's a must see, is one I kinda want to see with big SFX, and/or is a movie I know I will hear the spoilers about.

B) The poker board I was on was lukewarm about this movie, I had already saw the HIST Channel doc on it, so no hurry.

Honestly? Read the book, watch the HIST Channel doc. Hopefully you'll love that even more. Because that was the truth.

Edit: I've played (online) poker with Andy Bloch, who was part of an MIT Blackjack Team. He has some good insight to how they worked, obviously.
            Last edited by The Rube; 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I believe there has been multiple MIT Blackjack teams...

The best part of Adaptation is that his "brother" ended up getting an Oscar
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                Like you go to movies in theaters anyways, unless you're wearing a trench coat and the floor is extra sticky.
                Actually, I don't remember the last time I saw a movie that didn't involve superheroes or giant robots.
                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I believe there has been multiple MIT Blackjack teams...

The best part of Adaptation is that his "brother" ended up getting an Oscar
                  There were. Bloch was part of a team that split into two teams (Amphibians and Reptiles).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Second, Regardless, I'm not interested in seeing yet another movie where the white man is a steaming pile of racist crap. I've seen that move done before, only a few times has it ever been done well.
                    I just got back from the film. I don't understand your racism argument. The movie really didn't have anything to do with racism. It more had to do with arrogance and greed than anything else. It could have just as well been one white racist crap race vs. another white racist crap race and you would have had the same film.

The problem with the film I suppose is it isn't original. It's just another retelling of a much told story. There really isn't too much new in the world though. I just got done reading a novel (part 1 in a 3 parter) called Feast of Souls that looked original but after I got done it wasn't very original anymore. How much originality is really left? That's the question I was left asking after I saw the movie.

But, anyway, that being said. Saw the film in Real 3D I guess they call it. Quite amazing. Stunning in fact. I really liked the female lead. The male lead didn't do much for me (maybe I'm a male and that's why I felt that way? I dunno). Still, the visuals are breathtaking and the story is exciting enough to keep you interested, even though you pretty much know what's coming.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

I just got back from the film. I don't understand your racism argument. The movie really didn't have anything to do with racism. It more had to do with arrogance and greed than anything else. It could have just as well been one white racist crap race vs. another white racist crap race and you would have had the same film.
                      Maybe the reviewers to whom I was listening were wrong. Or perhaps they saw the movie with a different angle. Either way, I think a more difficult, and therefore impressive, task would be to take live people and successfully create a CGI image that blends in perfectly with a real background. In truth, regardless of what people think about the movies as a whole, that was the great success of the Transformer movies.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Maybe the reviewers to whom I was listening were wrong. Or perhaps they saw the movie with a different angle. Either way, I think a more difficult, and therefore impressive, task would be to take live people and successfully create a CGI image that blends in perfectly with a real background. In truth, regardless of what people think about the movies as a whole, that was the great success of the Transformer movies.
                        They saw it with a different angle I suppose. They must have a complex.

I agree on the Transformers. They did nice work there. That work would not have worked here because the planet that was created in Avatar does not exist here.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They saw it with a different angle I suppose. They must have a complex.

I agree on the Transformers. They did nice work there. That work would not have worked here because the planet that was created in Avatar does not exist here.
                          Indeed, outside of a few inside shots which still often contained cgi in the background, Avatar was created completely in a digital world. The next step up from Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow basically.

There was a bit of racism, Giovanni Ribisi's character I believe makes a few comments about ignorant savages/big blue monkeys. But it certainly wasn't the main focus, or even a major plot point.

Trailer for Frozen is up, looks pretty interesting.
                          http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/frozen/

Comment

Sorry no link, but I saw a trailer for some comic-book dealie coming out called Kick *****? Yeah, it was ok the first time when it was called Mystery Men or any of the other "Average Joe as super-hero" flicks the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Sorry no link, but I saw a trailer for some comic-book dealie coming out called Kick *****? Yeah, it was ok the first time when it was called Mystery Men or any of the other "Average Joe as super-hero" flicks the past decade.
                              Trailer
                              http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/kickass/

And I don't agree with your assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                                Trailer
                                http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/kickass/

And I don't agree with your assessment.
                                Neither do I...Mystery Men friggin sucked.

I dont forsee this movie doing very well but I think the trailer looked awesome
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X