X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by Billy Blanks View Post
    Oh, god. Really?

It was OK. The plot did enough to keep me watching, but the movie as a whole was lacking in characterization to make me invest in what I was watching. The CGI was pretty and all, but it did nothing for me.

I will also no longer feel the need to waste money on 3D after that.

Comment

FYP
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Anyone see Avatar in IMAX?

I was hoping that's what I'd get to see it in but it's not looking good...

Looks like I'll have to go regular. I'm going with a group of people on Wednesday. Looking forward to it...sounds like the Critics and yahoo users really liked it.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

I think him being left out was intentional. Remember the Na'vi captured Jake, that was the reason we didn't see much of the other guy.
          He was also ****ed at Jake for having so much initial success without spending the years he had training.

Avatar is set to be a trilogy so perhaps we'll see more of the other characters going forward.
          Where was this said?

And it easily could have a sequel that deals with the human reaction to being forcibly shoved off of a planet. But a 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
            Oh, god. Really?

It was OK. The plot did enough to keep me watching, but the movie as a whole was lacking in characterization to make me invest in what I was watching. The CGI was pretty and all, but it did nothing for me.

Huh...I got to say I am a little surprised to hear you say that. (I assumed you would love it) Seeing your opinion though makes me want to see the movie even less.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I assumed you would love it
              What on earth would make you think that?

Comment

What on earth would make you think that?
                Well you tend to like crappy movies (it was a joke)

I dunno just an assumption.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Well you tend to like crappy movies (it was a joke)
                  What a coincidence. That's why I figured you'd love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                    He was also ****ed at Jake for having so much initial success without spending the years he had training.

Where was this said?

And it easily could have a sequel that deals with the human reaction to being forcibly shoved off of a planet. But a 3rd?
                    Cameron has been working on this for 14 years. He mentioned it at Comicon and it several interviews.
                    TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Anyone see Avatar in IMAX?

I was hoping that's what I'd get to see it in but it's not looking good...

Looks like I'll have to go regular. I'm going with a group of people on Wednesday. Looking forward to it...sounds like the Critics and yahoo users really liked it.
                      I saw it in 3D at the IMAX in Burbank over the weekend. I can't imagine seeing it any other way. At the very least you need to see it in 3D. IMAX just takes it to a whole new level. This movie pretty much transcended anything that's been out in probably 15 years. There really isn't anything that can compare to it. It's completely worth it to spend the extra 5 bucks for IMAX.
                      TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Oh, god. Really?

It's going to change the way movies are made from this point forward.
                        Last edited by Billy Blanks; 12-21-2009, 06:06 PM.
                        TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Is that supposed to make me like it more or something? I'm not sure what you were going for with your reply.

Comment

How the movie was made, doesn't change the overall result. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean you have to like the story.

Comment

So...as a person with a biology background I was curious how a colleague of mine would describe things in Avatar. She said while the special effects were good the story was awful (she agreed with the general "Dances with Wolves in space" idea). Also as a scientist it was hard to fully suspend disbelief and that many of the animals were just plain annoying in that there adaptations seemed totally unneccessary IE they made them crazy just to make them crazy. I have a feeling that with my background I too would find it annoying.

I also heard that Cameron wrote the entire movie over a 3 day weekend. Yeah. If a movie only takes that long to write its going to be a little short on plot.

Comment

Is that supposed to make me like it more or something? I'm not sure what you were going for with your reply.
                                It was directed at your comment on the CGI and 3D. Meaning, that pretty much all movies in the future will have elements of how this movie was made and produced.
                                TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

Working...
                                X