This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

gonna go take the boys to see planet 51 in about 40 minutes. hope they stay awake.

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    Every idiot knows this!
    mr compliment strikes again..
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Just got done seeing Avatar. Storywise it's pretty predictable, mostly because they give the basics of it away in the trailer. The story itself isn't bad, it hovers somewhere between mediocre and good, a little heavy handed, but not too preachy, and a decent amount of thought had been put into Pandora as a world that functions basically (spoiler) a giant brain. A literal stereotypical indian, everything is interconnected brain. (/spoiler) Nearly everything on the planet is bio-luminescent in some way, hence the extreme glow in many of the trailers scenes.

The 3d effects work well for 95% of the movie, the rest the camera seems to have trouble dealing with a lot of stuff going on. Such as in the very beginning when Jake is getting out of cryo sleep and there's 15 billion things going on in the background. But it's a small complaint. When out in the jungle environments, the effect is very nice, it's mostly confined to the few scenes inside of buildings where there are groups of people standing around.

One small thing that I really liked was that Jake's legs actually looked like they belonged to someone who hadn't walked in years. As well as his first reaction to being able to walk again.

The Thanador has to be my favorite creature, nothing else in the movie makes the characters **** their pants on sight half as much.

******* id='ignplayer' width='480' height='270' data='http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'>****** name='movie' value='http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ev/embed.swf' />****** name='allowfullscreen' value='true' />****** name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' />****** name='bgcolor' value='#000000' />****** name='flashvars' value='vgroup=avatar_trl_thanator_chase&object=800318'/>

Comment

Finally saw Heat from beginning to end. Yeah, I know, shuddup. Have seen the bank scene and the diner scene a few times before, but never the whole movie.

Awesome story, good suspense. Not as well-shot as Public Enemies (also by Mann) in the way of lighting/colors/etc, but made up for that in the action/suspense scenes. For the lack of what Public Enemies had, Heat made up for in movement/suspense/etc. Brilliant.

Really liked the honor/"respect" angle between De Niro and Pacino. Added to the movie quite a bit.

And the "Pacino Yell" has never been more spectacularly overused.

Edit: almost forgot:

after the metal company robbery scene, as they are driving away from the building, you can see my company's building in the background plain as day. I'm gonna guess that if it was shot in LA, it was our Distribution Center. I got a chuckle out of that.
        Last edited by The Rube; 12-19-2009, 07:55 PM.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Tell No One

French foreign film about a man who's wife is murdered at their lake home and despite doubts by the police he is not arrested for the crime. 8 years later he receives an e-mail that suggests she may be alive and if so, how and why? One of the best films I can remember watching in a long, long time. I rarely rate movies this strongly, but this one stands out as an excellent, excellent thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Tell No One

French foreign film about a man who's wife is murdered at their lake home and despite doubts by the police he is not arrested for the crime. 8 years later he receives an e-mail that suggests she may be alive and if so, how and why? One of the best films I can remember watching in a long, long time. I rarely rate movies this strongly, but this one stands out as an excellent, excellent thriller.
            I'll write that one down. Question: does it have dubbing? I'm not a big fan of subtitles, as I think it distracts from seeing smaller details of the movie, because you have to read the dialogue (for me, anyways).
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              I'll write that one down. Question: does it have dubbing? I'm not a big fan of subtitles, as I think it distracts from seeing smaller details of the movie, because you have to read the dialogue (for me, anyways).
              It has subtitles so if that's an inhibitor it may not be for you, but truly for this film I didn't miss anything by having to read them. Perhaps it's the fact that I watch a A LOT of foreign films and am just more used to it, but I didn't feel it got in the way at all. But honestly, this might be the best done film in this genre that I've seen in several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                It has subtitles so if that's an inhibitor it may not be for you, but truly for this film I didn't miss anything by having to read them. Perhaps it's the fact that I watch a A LOT of foreign films and am just more used to it, but I didn't feel it got in the way at all. But honestly, this might be the best done film in this genre that I've seen in several years.
                I'll still give it a whirl. Just might have to watch it more than once, is all. I'm a big fan of subtle details in the shooting of movies (see my note on my Heat review a few posts ago).

Comment

Almost went to see Avatar tonight! But my plans fell through, so I will have to go see it another time...
                  Application for Admission to the WCHA:
                  http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
                  Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
                  Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
                  Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
                  All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
                    Almost went to see Avatar tonight! But my plans fell through, so I will have to go see it another time...
                    New Years day?
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      See now Im the opposite. I find that dubbing distracts me more so that I miss details. Mostly because the sound and the video dont match up.

I have Tell No One on my netflix list (instant I think). I havent had a chance to sit and watch it but I may have to take the time now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        New Years day?
                        I'd be game
                        Application for Admission to the WCHA:
                        http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
                        Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
                        Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
                        Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
                        All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
                          I'd be game
                          Sounds like a plan
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                            One small thing that I really liked was that Jake's legs actually looked like they belonged to someone who hadn't walked in years. As well as his first reaction to being able to walk again.
                            Those were both very nice touches.

I fell asleep a couple times. It was like watching a really long Universal Studios OmniMax movie. Special Effects: A+ (of course), everything else... meh, C/C-. There's not a moment that will surprise any moviegoer over 25. OTOH, there's nothing to disappoint if you came in assuming it would be Freejack.

Instead it was "Dances with Jamaican Iraqis." Every war produces at least one decent anti-war movie, and this isn't it.

One funny thing, though, was they spent some time developing a second Avatar driver's character, then he completely disappeared from the rest of the movie. Assume this means Cameron cut a whole substory. The Director's Cut will probably be 5 hours long.

It won't be the end of movies as we know them. Evil is banal; revolutions aren't.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Those were both very nice touches.

I fell asleep a couple times. It was like watching a really long Universal Studios OmniMax movie. Special Effects: A+ (of course), everything else... meh, C/C-. There's not a moment that will surprise any moviegoer over 25. OTOH, there's nothing to disappoint if you came in assuming it would be Freejack.

Instead it was "Dances with Jamaican Iraqis." Every war produces at least one decent anti-war movie, and this isn't it.

One funny thing, though, was they spent some time developing a second Avatar driver's character, then he completely disappeared from the rest of the movie. Assume this means Cameron cut a whole substory. The Director's Cut will probably be 5 hours long.

It won't be the end of movies as we know them. Evil is banal; revolutions aren't.
                              I think him being left out was intentional. Remember the Na'vi captured Jake, that was the reason we didn't see much of the other guy. Avatar is set to be a trilogy so perhaps we'll see more of the other characters going forward.
                              TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

I watched Adaptation last night...what an odd movie though enjoyable. Cage was really good as was Chris Cooper.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X