X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Avatar reminds me of everything I hated about The Phantom Menace in that the CGI looks like a friggin cartoon. Well if I want to watch a cartoon there are plenty out there
    Phantom Menace failed because it was poorly written and poorly acted. Not because it had "cartoony" CGI.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Phantom Menace failed because it was poorly written and poorly acted. Not because it had "cartoony" CGI.
      Every idiot knows this!
      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I wanna go see Avatar! It looks weird, but it'll be really good
        Application for Admission to the WCHA:
        http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
        Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
        Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
        Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
        All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
          I wanna go see Avatar! It looks weird, but it'll be really good
          Rottentomatoes ranks is about 84% positive at the moment.

And on the subject of special effects.

Evolution of special effects.
          http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-A...ion-16162.html

The Death Star animation from the first Star Wars looks like such a huge pain in the ***.
          Last edited by Foxton; 12-17-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            All the Star Wars movies have poor writing and poor acting Scooby...Star Wars lives and dies on Special Effects and you know it. (and I say this as a hardcore Star Wars fanboy) Star Wars and Return of the Jedi are two of the worst acted movies of all time and the written dialogue is so terrible it is actually comedic. (Empire had a real director who was able to mask the cruddy dialogue and mediocre acting...maybe if Jedi had gotten Spielberg like Lucas wanted that movie wouldnt have been the wannabe Disney flick it was )

I would rather special effects look somewhat real. I don't want alien worlds to look like earth...but I would like if they looked like a real planet and not a painting. I guess I prefer models and sets to digital animation...but that is just me.

It should be noted that even the story as I can see it in the previews is rather uninteresting to me and while I was interested before the previews, they killed my interest.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Watched Tropic Thunder the other night...not impressed.

Currently watching Harper's Island on DVD...good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                But I will also say that it the special effects look VERY much like what we saw in the Star Wars prequels. That doesn't necessarily mean anything about whether the film is all special effects with flat characters and bland narrative (a la The Prequels) or if it will be fantastic. It just means the special effects have that dream-like otherworldly look to them. How good a movie is and how good the effects are don't really go hand in hand.
                Perhaps it's poor editing when they created the ads, but whenever they cut to the animated scenes in the ads I get irritated.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in the movie Bitch Slap when it comes out in January (theatre & VoD)

Bitchslapmovie.com
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    All the Star Wars movies have poor writing and poor acting Scooby...
                    4 is at least well-plotted, something none of the others (5: chase movie, 6: tepid Disney tripe, 1-3: disposable diapers) were.

Raise your hand if you expect Avatar to be well-written or well-acted. I think we'll be lucky to reach Battlefield Earth levels. (The book BE was actually... well, not well-written exactly, unless you have a hard-on for Lew Rockwell... but interesting).
                    Last edited by Kepler; 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Avatar: the review in the Star Tribune (Mpls) today basically said:

Plot: eh, it's okay
                      Love story/angle: meh. Cliched.
                      Effects: OMGFTWBBQ11!!!1!1!!!

4 stars.

That was all I needed to know. Not going to see it. If I want a bland story with trippy visuals, I'll drop acid.

Saw "Fracture" tonight:

First hour of it? Awesome. Hopkins as the cagey, crafty smart guy who gets away with a crime, and Gosling perfecting the hotshot/hotsh* stud character. Quality. I was really into it, and was wondering where all the bad reviews came in.

Then the second hour happened. It was like a bad Cop Drama episode. Predictable, corny, crappy, everything.

I guess the good news is, you can watch the first half, know what is going to happen the second half, and save yourself an hour.

If you're bored, or a superfan of Hopkins, watch it. Other than that? Meh. Pass.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        IMHO, Scanner Darkly argues exactly the opposite: you can "cartoonize" actors and make it really compelling, if you have some imagination and style. Avatar's trailers grimly remind me of how irritating Disney's "Anastasia" was -- pouring relentless amounts of money into the void left by soullessness.
                        Disney made a version of "Anastasia", too? I knew about Fox's movie...

I don't get all the confusion over "Avatar", all the people saying things like "I have no idea what I just saw," after seeing the trailer. What's so strange? It's a sci-fi movie, plain and simple, that happens to have a ton of CGI.

I'd actually like to see it for the effects, but the story looks clichéd and predictable (I'm also worried that it's going to hammer us over the head with the "greedy invaders who don't care about native populace" point).
                        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Avatar: the review in the Star Tribune (Mpls) today basically said:

Plot: eh, it's okay
                          Love story/angle: meh. Cliched.
                          Effects: OMGFTWBBQ11!!!1!1!!!

4 stars.

That was all I needed to know. Not going to see it. If I want a bland story with trippy visuals, I'll drop acid.

Ive seen a few other reveiws that said the same exact thing. Good effects, bad plot/story, cliche, etc. Saw one that said something to the effect that the special effects (while great) it left the reveiwer feeling empty and unable to make a true connection with the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            Disney made a version of "Anastasia", too? I knew about Fox's movie...
                            http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...mationIsDisney

Shh, all animation is Disney. Now go rent Watership Down for some little children.

I'd actually like to see it for the effects, but the story looks clichéd and predictable (I'm also worried that it's going to hammer us over the head with the "greedy invaders who don't care about native populace" point).
                            Dances with Wolves set on another planet is what I think the general story is.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Saw "Fracture" tonight:

First hour of it? Awesome. Hopkins as the cagey, crafty smart guy who gets away with a crime, and Gosling perfecting the hotshot/hotsh* stud character. Quality. I was really into it, and was wondering where all the bad reviews came in.

Then the second hour happened. It was like a bad Cop Drama episode. Predictable, corny, crappy, everything.

I guess the good news is, you can watch the first half, know what is going to happen the second half, and save yourself an hour.

If you're bored, or a superfan of Hopkins, watch it. Other than that? Meh. Pass.
                              Fracture reminded me of a cross between a John Grisham novel/movie and a Law and Order episode. In fact, it was a lot like an extended version of L&O: Criminal Intent (what I like to call, the encyclopedia brown version of L&O).

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Fracture reminded me of a cross between a John Grisham novel/movie and a Law and Order episode. In fact, it was a lot like an extended version of L&O: Criminal Intent (what I like to call, the encyclopedia brown version of L&O).
                                Yeah, I agree. You could even tell when they could cut to commercial when this movie makes the rounds on tv. It was that obvious.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X