This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

I saw Law Abiding Citizen today and really enjoyed it. The only change I would have made was the ending. I was rooting for Gerard Butler because Jamie Fox's character was completely un-likeable. (I felt his performance as a whole was rather weak)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
      But I stand by my Billy Mitchell is a dick statment.
      Well....yeah.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

*****http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/12/ironmanposterwhiplash.jpg******

Comment

Golden Globe nominations for movies.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
            *****http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/12/ironmanposterwhiplash.jpg******

Cannot wait...Scarlet Johanssen too
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

The Notorious Bettie Page:

The movie itself is average, gives the basic outline of her life. Gretchen Mol (who plays Page; many of you might remember her as Damon's girlfriend in Rounders) is excellent. From what I've read/etc on Page, she definitely captures the naivete/innocence of Page. Simply outstanding performance. That alone is a reason to check out the movie.

That being said, if you're curious about Page, or just want a little added info on her, see the movie. If you know a lot about her, then it's kinda meh, as I doubt you'll really learn anything new.

One thing I did like was the way they shot the movie. It felt like you were watching a movie made in that time period. Scratchy film, some B&W/some color, etc. Definitely added to the feel of the movie.

I enjoyed it, and the ending bit running over the credits kinda makes you smile a little inside. Really cute ending in that regard, and am glad they did that.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I saw Frost/Nixon tonight, it was on one of the movie channels. I thought it was pretty good, started out a bit slow, but I really don't mind movies like that. Langella had an awesome performance as Nixon.

I don't know what to think about Avatar, at first I just thought w.t.f. but now I'm kinda curious. I probably won't see it until its a DVD, but if someone I know is going to see it in the theater, I'd probably go with.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Saw that one a couple months ago. I liked it; really loved the old footage.
                  Agreed. The thing that jumped out to me was that when the ball carrier lost control of the ball it was a fumble, period. No "his knee was down," no players or coaches pointing at the ground, hoping the refs would rule him down by contact. If the ball came out it was a fumble. It was a very different game.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                    Just watched the King of Kong. Billy Mitchell is a dick. It really wouldnt surpise me if his tape he sent up to Funspot was a fake. He seems like that kind of guy.

Edit: I just read some more about the film. It does take some liberties and leaves some things out regarding who had highs scores and when. But I stand by my Billy Mitchell is a dick statment.
                    I loved the movie, though. I believe I saw it under the title "A Fistful of Quarters." But same movie, right? Billy Mitchell is a dick brought it all flooding back.

"Avatar" is the most expensive episode of Thundercats ever, but if I see it at all it will be in the theater.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Starting to make my way through Reaper. It is quite enjoyable. Too bad there are only two seasons of it.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I loved the movie, though. I believe I saw it under the title "A Fistful of Quarters." But same movie, right? Billy Mitchell is a dick brought it all flooding back.

"Avatar" is the most expensive episode of Thundercats ever, but if I see it at all it will be in the theater.
                        The full title was King of Kong: A fistful of quarters.

I have no desire to see Avatar. I might see it on dvd if I dont have anything worth watching on my netflix list. I dont mind special effects...but thats just too much.

Comment

Avatar reminds me of everything I hated about The Phantom Menace in that the CGI looks like a friggin cartoon. Well if I want to watch a cartoon there are plenty out there

I just finished Season 2 of Californication...very well done.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Avatar reminds me of everything I hated about The Phantom Menace in that the CGI looks like a friggin cartoon. Well if I want to watch a cartoon there are plenty out there
                            IMHO, Scanner Darkly argues exactly the opposite: you can "cartoonize" actors and make it really compelling, if you have some imagination and style. Avatar's trailers grimly remind me of how irritating Disney's "Anastasia" was -- pouring relentless amounts of money into the void left by soullessness.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I don't really see what's "cartoonie" about Avatar. Obviously it's not something that you would normally see, but then it's on an alien planet why should it look like it's on earth? But even the movement/lighting looks good after seeing some of the videos that show the motion capture stuff that was used to produce all the CGI humanoids actions.

Now this movie had cartoon like cgi.
                              ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_woGjV_q8fM&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_woGjV_q8fM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

New trailer for Clash of the Titans, get to see the Kraken, some more Medusa, and a couple of the gods.
                              http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Ironman 2 trailer finally out.
                              http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

Comment

While I agree with Foxton in that animation doesn't have to be realistic to work.

But I will also say that it the special effects look VERY much like what we saw in the Star Wars prequels. That doesn't necessarily mean anything about whether the film is all special effects with flat characters and bland narrative (a la The Prequels) or if it will be fantastic. It just means the special effects have that dream-like otherworldly look to them. How good a movie is and how good the effects are don't really go hand in hand.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X