X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrierbyassociation
    replied
    Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Rented Fantastic Mr. Fox, really liked it. Stop-motion was gorgeous in B-R.

Next stop, The Princess and the Frog.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That's been on my must see list for quite a while. Just haven't gotten there.....
    The 1940 version has now taken that slot for me, which if my alacrity is repeated will happen sometime in the 2030s.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Also saw the immortal Gaslight over the weekend, courtesy of the local DC PBS affiliate which has been running classics. Charles Boyer is a decent villain but Ingrid Bergman is brilliant, particular during the closing scenes.
    That's been on my must see list for quite a while. Just haven't gotten there.....

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Was I blocking this out? I never once knew that Sam Rockwell was in that movie. Yet now that you guys mention it, I immediately know which character he was.
    Well it wasnt a memorable part or anything, he was just one of the punks in the Foot Clan though he does get lots of screen time and a few lines

I still love that Corey Feldmen was Donatello

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Been on a Lovecraft kick lately and caught Dreams of Cthulhu - The Rough Magik Initiative. Movies based on Lovecraft's works are usually terrible. This may be because the key to Lovecraft is, notoriously, hinting and oblique reference rather than narrative and direct showing ("the beast was so terrifying words cannot describe it"). A Cthulhu Symphony would be a better medium. Well, anyhoo, I recommend Dreams of Cthulhu as a very good effort. It's apparently an aborted pilot, but coming upon a disjointed fragment is a great way to touch on the mythos.

Also saw the immortal Gaslight over the weekend, courtesy of the local DC PBS affiliate which has been running classics. Charles Boyer is a decent villain but Ingrid Bergman is brilliant, particular during the closing scenes.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Seriously, the ending to The Departed was a let down from the rest of the movie. But it wasn't THAT bad.

It at least makes sense in the grand scheme of what 90% of all Scorsese's movies are all about: personal downfall at the hands of some personal flaw (in this case: secrecy and double lives/information).

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    To be honest, I was thinking of Sam Worthington - but Sam Rockwell was in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    ****ED RIGHT HE WAS!
    Was I blocking this out? I never once knew that Sam Rockwell was in that movie. Yet now that you guys mention it, I immediately know which character he was.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

For film buffs this is something interesting.

Psycho is coming to Blu-Ray this fall. Every DVD release up till this point because of the weird aspect ratio the movie was filmed in has had the tops and bottoms cut off a little bit. Thus we never saw the whole movie. The VHS version had the full top to bottom but was panned and scanned and thus cut off the left and right edges. The version that has been aired on HDNET and will be on the Blu-Ray contains the whole thing as it was filmed by Hitchcock.

The Blu-Ray will have a new 5.1 Dolby Soundtrack that was carefully put together from the original. And the original mono soundtrack will be available as well.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I saw Robin hood...it was pretty decent and a very good origin if they do plan on a sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

No way, Dana Carvey is actually funny...Rockwell was horrible.

Leave a comment:

• thecomicbookguy
    replied

I too saw Iron Man 2. It was entertaining (total popcorn movie) but was pretty awful. Sam Rockwell was f-ckin' terrible.
    Um, I'm pretty sure that was Dana Carvey.

I know it wasn't, but it looked a lot like him.

Leave a comment:

• Terrierbyassociation
    replied

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
    Have to agree. I tend to like Nicholson more when he's depraved and crazy. The end was just ... awful relative to the rest of the flick.
    The ending of the movie is what shifts The Departed behind the movie it was based on, Infernal Affairs.

Leave a comment:

• ScottM
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I liked The Departed until the end.

Spoiler alert, highlight the text below.

But before that, the story was well done, the acting was great, and overall I thought it was pretty good.
    Have to agree. I tend to like Nicholson more when he's depraved and crazy. The end was just ... awful relative to the rest of the flick.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

To be honest, I was thinking of Sam Worthington - but Sam Rockwell was in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
    ****ED RIGHT HE WAS!

Leave a comment:

• GreatLakerMohawk
    replied

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
    What else has he been in lately where he's mailed it in with this level of force?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    To be fair, The Departed sucked without using any CGI at all.
    I liked The Departed until the end.

Spoiler alert, highlight the text below.

The ending was the least creative piece of **** I've ever seen. It was basically like he kept stretching it all out until he said, "oh ****, I haven't figured out the ending yet.... Well, let's just kill everyone." It was so lazy it wrecked the movie for me. There are ways of killing off everyone and that was the laziest way to do it.

But before that, the story was well done, the acting was great, and overall I thought it was pretty good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X