X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Finally saw Inglorious Basterds the other day.

Very very good.

Only Tarantino though.
    Caught it on blu-ray a few weeks ago. I honestly struggled through it, I was bored out of my mind.

Sometimes I hate the OMG! TARANTINO MOVIE, Default value = AWESOME! hype that some directors/actors get.
    You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
    ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
    ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
    ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
      Caught it on blu-ray a few weeks ago. I honestly struggled through it, I was bored out of my mind.

Sometimes I hate the OMG! TARANTINO MOVIE, Default value = AWESOME! hype that some directors/actors get.
      I hate that too (Scorsese, Cronenberg), but IMHO Basterds was the best actual "movie-as-a-movie" QT has done (as opposed to his Ironic Wink At Us in Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, which were great fun at the time but will age like a trendy hair style).

There are characters in it I care about, which isn't true of any other QT movie except the Bruce Willis boxer in PF.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Watched THE INFORMANT last night...

I must say that I really enjoyed it... It was a comical play on the scandals of corporate America that seem to be all over the news now... Matt Damon nailed the character and really showed how versatile he can be... Despite the comedic tones, the story moved along at a good pace and also built a bit of suspense as well...

I'd recommend it if you are in the mood for a "serious" comedy...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          help....I.CAN'T.STOP.WATCHING.KARATE.KID.2!!!!!!
          Why stop...that movie is GLORIOUS!

like a knight in shining armour, from a long time ago...

I thought the Informant was pretty terrible...which made me sad I was very excited for it.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            help....I.CAN'T.STOP.WATCHING.KARATE.KID.2!!!!!!
            Is that the one where Ralph Macchio is fat, out of shape and looks to be about 40?
            "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
              Is that the one where Ralph Macchio is fat, out of shape and looks to be about 40?
              No, that's KK3. KK2 is where he goes to Okinawa with Mr. Miagi.

And don't forget the Next Karate Kid with Hillary Swank. God, including those last 2 movies brings down the value of the boxed set by at least 50%. Yes, I'd be willing to pay $30 for just the first two movies, but having to take the last two as well means I will only spend $15 on it.
              Last edited by unofan; 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Watched THE INFORMANT last night...

I must say that I really enjoyed it... It was a comical play on the scandals of corporate America that seem to be all over the news now...
                True story, as well.

Can't tell you how proud we are he was a Cornellian.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  No, that's KK3. KK2 is where he goes to Okinawa with Mr. Miagi.

And don't forget the Next Karate Kid with Hillary Swank. God, including those last 2 movies brings down the value of the boxed set by at least 50%. Yes, I'd be willing to pay $30 for just the first two movies, but having to take the last two as well means I will only spend $15 on it.
                  Okay, that makes sense. The only things I took away from the KK series were that Elizabeth Shue morphed into a real babe in Leaving Las Vegas, and Pat Mortia wasn't nearly as funny as he was on Happy Days.
                  "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. The only things I took away from the KK series were that Elizabeth Shue morphed into a real babe in Leaving Las Vegas, and Pat Mortia wasn't nearly as funny as he was on Happy Days.
                    Still, he got a best supporting actor nomination for the first Karate Kid. So he had that going for him...

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Watched THE INFORMANT last night......
                      i read that. not bad (book, didn't see the movie)

he is on an island surrounded by young japanese women.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The Darjeeling Limited.

It's no Royal Tenenbaums, and that made me sad. It tried, it really tried, but there was just something missing that didn't get me into the Darjeeling like Royal did.

I'd watch it only if you really loved (I mean realllllly loved) RT.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Not that I expect anything less, but knowing more about the Runaways (Joan Jett's and Lita Ford's first real band) than the average person, this new biopic looks atrocious. I'll see it, but honestly, it'd only be to see what they got wrong.

Granted, I'm only judging by the trailer, the interviews given by Joan Jett related to "Edgeplay" (which she refused to participate in, and didn't give permission for musical license, so there's no original Runaways music in there), and from what I've read over the years. So be it.

I dare that movie to "wow" me. I don't think it can.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Deadgirl

I don't want to talk about it.

Comment

• ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-2TmRDLddI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n-2TmRDLddI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Karate Kid 3 is a classic....

You think this is the end of it, old man? I'm gonna open Cobra Kai dojos all over this Valley. Hell, I might even teach for free! From now on, all that anyone will know about is Cobra Kai karate. John Kreese's karate. You won't even be a memory!

Karate Kid 4? Not so much......
                                Last edited by SPIN CONTROL; 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM.
                                Fighting the good fight

Comment

Working...
                                X