Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

    Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    Imagine how good Point Break could have been if they'd been able to cast Rob Lowe as one of the bank robbing surfers.
    Mind = Blown
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

    Comment


    • *cough* Red Dawn *cough*
      Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM.

      Comment


      • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

        Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        Youngblood is the Holy Grail of awesome.
        "Tea with Ms. McGill."
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

          Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
          Imagine how good Point Break could have been if they'd been able to cast Rob Lowe as one of the bank robbing surfers.
          That would be the greatest movie EVER!
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

          Comment


          • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

            Invention Of Lying:

            It really tried to be two different movies, and that's where it failed. The whole "first lie" bit could have been so much more, but the romantic comedy angle is what really did it in.

            Now, if they went pure rom-com, still probably cliched and dumb. But the way they presented it, you have a guy who lies (immoral, basically) using that immorality to get a shallow girl. It just doesn't really make you feel too sorry for him (which the character tries to get you to do), and makes you annoyed by the girl.

            The best I can say about this movie is that I've seen worse serious mainstream attempts at movies. A few chuckles, but overall? Don't bother.

            Edit: I sorta take that back: Rob Lowe was funny.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

            Comment


            • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

              Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Invention Of Lying:

              It really tried to be two different movies, and that's where it failed. The whole "first lie" bit could have been so much more, but the romantic comedy angle is what really did it in.

              Now, if they went pure rom-com, still probably cliched and dumb. But the way they presented it, you have a guy who lies (immoral, basically) using that immorality to get a shallow girl. It just doesn't really make you feel too sorry for him (which the character tries to get you to do), and makes you annoyed by the girl.

              The best I can say about this movie is that I've seen worse serious mainstream attempts at movies. A few chuckles, but overall? Don't bother.

              Edit: I sorta take that back: Rob Lowe was funny.
              The section where he was trying to explain God was pretty good, but yeah the rest was kinda inconsistent.

              Cornell '04, Stanford '06


              KDR

              Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

              Test to see if I can add this.

              Comment


              • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                The section where he was trying to explain God was pretty good, but yeah the rest was kinda inconsistent.
                True, and that also showed the difference between the stereotypical "British humor" and "American humor." One explains things to death, while the other goes overboard on the slapstick.

                I think Gervais is great, hence me wanting to see this movie, but now? I dunno.

                Either way, the next movies I'm really looking forward to seeing is "The Mark Of Cain" (doc on Russian prison tattoos, which Eastern Promises took their cues from in makeup in such matters) and Manhattan Melodrama, w/Clark Gable, and a clip is featured in Public Enemies with Depp.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                Comment


                • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                  One schlocky movie is going to alter your opinion of a really funny guy? Go rent the British Office or Extras and tell me what you think of him.
                  R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

                  Comment


                  • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    True, and that also showed the difference between the stereotypical "British humor" and "American humor." One explains things to death, while the other goes overboard on the slapstick.

                    I think Gervais is great, hence me wanting to see this movie, but now? I dunno.
                    He is hilarious, but that movie...
                    not good.

                    Comment


                    • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                      Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                      One schlocky movie is going to alter your opinion of a really funny guy? Go rent the British Office or Extras and tell me what you think of him.
                      That came across wrong.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                      Comment


                      • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                        We watched "Suicide Kings" last night. Christopher Walken and Denis Leary are awesome. A bonus is watching Jay Mohr(sp?) get shot in the knee.
                        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

                        "I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                          Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                          We watched "Suicide Kings" last night. Christopher Walken and Denis Leary are awesome. A bonus is watching Jay Mohr(sp?) get shot in the knee.
                          I love that movie...what a great cast and the ending is awesome!

                          "Ira, you are the man!"
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

                          "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

                          Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                          Comment


                          • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                            Went to see Shutter Island in the theater this weekend. It was ok. Not Scorcese's best work. It was fun, but nothing to write home about. I may have enjoyed it more if I had not read the book beforehand. I thought DiCaprio was pretty good, despite his total inability to speak with an accent.

                            Watched Primal Fear on Netflix last night. Good stuff. Ed Norton was amazing - easy to see how this movie launched his career.

                            Comment


                            • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                              Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian
                              Went to see Shutter Island in the theater this weekend.
                              Did you sit through it twice?

                              Comment


                              • Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

                                Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                                We watched "Suicide Kings" last night. Christopher Walken and Denis Leary are awesome. A bonus is watching Jay Mohr(sp?) get shot in the knee.
                                Charlie Barret: The gun again. Can't you guys just play nice?
                                Lono Veccio: Drop the gun, a*hole.
                                Max Minot: [finally fed up] Why don't you drop your gun?
                                Lono Veccio: I don't drop my f*ing gun, okay?
                                Max Minot: [in a mocking voice] Okay.

                                Yeah, great movie.

                                A Clockwork Orange:

                                Two questions:

                                1. What the * is wrong with people who made movies in that decade?! JFC.
                                2. A classic? For real?

                                For the record, ALL I had heard about this movie beforehand was that it was messed up and a classic movie, despite it being really messed up. That's it. No plot summary, no anything.


                                Great movie, for sure. The first half hour or so, I was wondering where the hell this was headed (wrong question for a Kubrick movie, I know, but still). Then it took shape, and then it captured me. Can't say it's a classic, though. It didn't resonate with me THAT much. I can't say it was top 10, in any category except "*** Up." Top 20, 30? Sure. I'll go with that.

                                McDowell was great, his non-chalantness was friggin' creepy. It was like watching the original Mickey Knox (Natural Born Killers): he just.....does. The results of what he does doesn't really hit home in the big picture. And I have to admit, it didn't alter my mood the way I thought a movie like this would. Example: if I have nothing going on, only then will I watch "The Wall" again, because while a great movie, it is really a downer. This movie? Doesn't really affect me that much, where my night is changed.

                                I'll sure as hell never listen to Beethoven in the same way.

                                When the movie was all tied up, I have to say it was a biting message about society/government/etc, way ahead of its time no doubt. It was like a combo of the aforementioned NBK and V:For Vendetta, with sprinklings of other movies thrown in.

                                Definitely recommended viewing, if you're like me and have not somehow seen it.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X