X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It's been what, 20 years since the original? And this isn't a remake, it's a sequel? Just strikes me as odd, and a cashgrab, which usually doesn't turn out well.

I'd love to be wrong, as the first one was great. I just get that funny feeling that it'll be terrible.
    While there are good if not outstanding sequels, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the ratio of bad sequels to good sequels is at least 2:1. So the odds are, it'll suck.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      From the success of Avatar and a few other wide releases, it sounds like more movies are going to be released in IMax. There's even a standard movie theater that was built only a couple years ago, just 7 or 8 miles from me, that has an IMax screen in it - I had never heard of that before.

The report I heard said that the final two Harry Potter movies would be on IMax, and they mentioned a couple others, too.
      Transformers in IMax was pretty sick too. Probably a big reason why a marginal storyline and marginal acting movie made $400 million because it was "entertaining".
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

It's been what, 20 years since the original? And this isn't a remake, it's a sequel? Just strikes me as odd, and a cashgrab, which usually doesn't turn out well.

I'd love to be wrong, as the first one was great. I just get that funny feeling that it'll be terrible.
        Why would Oliver Stone need a cashgrab?

It is a sequel that takes place 20 years later where Stone does exactly what he did in the original, show what is really going on on Wall Street. Find interviews with him where he goes in depth, that will sell the movie. This isn't "Oooooh lets bring back Gordon Gecko for funzies!" because if they were going to do that they would have just brought back Charlie Sheen and done the movie from there. This is Gordon Gekko on the modern Wall Street, seeing a new generation making money in a whole new illegal way and trying to help prevent the major crash that is about to happen. (ya know, the one that really did happen that screwed us all)

Here is the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_2
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I checked out Extract last night and thought it was OK. Like other Mike Judge movies I might have to watch it more to get more of the subtle lines but I didn't immediately "love" it the way I did Office Space and Idiocracy. Jason Bateman was good, Kristen Wiig was tolerable, Gene Simmons was hilarious for his short bit and Mila Kunis is fun to look at.
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
            I checked out Extract last night and thought it was OK. Like other Mike Judge movies I might have to watch it more to get more of the subtle lines but I didn't immediately "love" it the way I did Office Space and Idiocracy. Jason Bateman was good, Kristen Wiig was tolerable, Gene Simmons was hilarious for his short bit and Mila Kunis is fun to look at.
            Yeah I was disappointed in that movie but yes Mila Kunis has some wonderful intangibles
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Why would Oliver Stone need a cashgrab?
              Why did George Lucas need three?

Because more is more than less.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                That's on my radar along with a few other movies that just got put on Time Warner Cable's I-Control On-Demand movie channels.

I also want to see District 9, I love you Beth Cooper (only for Hayden Penatierre), and Inglorious Basterds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Why did George Lucas need three?

Because more is more than less.
                  No I don't buy it...I mean you are right but I just dont see that. He didn't have to be involved in this project it isnt like he wrote it, he chose to do it. If he was just going to choose what movie to direct in the hopes of making lots of cash he could do anything.

Lucas is a megalomaniac who loves having people bow to him like he is some sort of Messiah. The fact that all of his buddies win awards ****es him off so this is his way of shoving it back at them
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No I don't buy it...I mean you are right but I just dont see that. He didn't have to be involved in this project it isnt like he wrote it, he chose to do it. If he was just going to choose what movie to direct in the hopes of making lots of cash he could do anything.

Lucas is a megalomaniac who loves having people bow to him like he is some sort of Messiah. The fact that all of his buddies win awards ****es him off so this is his way of shoving it back at them
                    How about Oliver Stone is batsh* crazy? Does that reason work for you?
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

How about Oliver Stone is batsh* crazy? Does that reason work for you?
                      Well yeah, that is why his movies are (sometimes) good! If he was normal he would just be another Coppola or Brian DePalma!

But hey, feel free not to see it, you can watch more crap like Dude, Where's My Car and wonder why your IQ keeps decreasing
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well yeah, that is why his movies are (sometimes) good! If he was normal he would just be another Coppola or Brian DePalma!

But hey, feel free not to see it, you can watch more crap like Dude, Where's My Car and wonder why your IQ keeps decreasing
                        Oh, I'm sure you've seen your share of crap, too.

If this new Wall Street is good, sure I'll watch it, but I'm just on the suspicious side right now.

And yay, "High Plains Drifter" is on! Awesome movie.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure you've seen your share of crap, too.

If this new Wall Street is good, sure I'll watch it, but I'm just on the suspicious side right now.

And yay, "High Plains Drifter" is on! Awesome movie.
                          Well I did say I liked Police Academy 3 and 4

I am updating my Netflix que watching Class Action...I love this movie
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            And why would that be? There have been a number of sequels that have been as good or better than the original. How do you know already?

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Hadn't watched an old fillm for a while. Hadn't seen this one yet and saw it was on TCM. Set the DVR. Watched it last night since everything was repeats last night. Doesn't get much better than Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Carey Grant. I thought the supporting role by Ruth Hussey was very good as well. Looked it and sure as anything she had a best supporting actress nomination for the role and Jimmy Stewart had won for his. I'd say this is my favorite of Hepburn's roles I've seen so far.
                            Case in point, Bride of Frankenstein. Twice the movie as the original Frankenstein.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Just beware, there's IMax and then there's IMax. One theater here in Omaha (actually Counciltucky, but same metro area) has an "IMax" theatre, but it's not the gigantic 5-story high screen most people think of when they think IMax. The screen is maybe 1.5-2x's the size of a normal one, and the sound quality's somewhat better, but not twice the price of a movie ticket better. Saw the Star Trek reboot there, won't go back again.
                              Found the website for that theater that people told me had the IMax theater. The theater doesn't call it that - just two huge screens and thirteen other normal screens. They also have something called "4K Digital," but don't explain what's digital - the sound, video or both.

The place does serve booze, so that's a plus.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Well, here's my must-watch movie tomorrow:

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxZrEOhhvkY&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gxZrEOhhvkY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Comment

Working...
                                X