This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented movies: Here comes the movie to change all movies

Revolutionary Road is such a terrible movie that I felt compelled to get online and post this from my phone because my cable modem isn't working right. If I wanted to watch a suburban couple argue for two hours I'd go visit my parents. The last 15 minutes saved it from sharing the "nothing happens" label with The Thin Red Line but even so it was tremendously dull.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

City Hall:

It was okay. Decent enough story, bordered on becoming an action flick, but then pulled back at the last second, which I appreciated (I was starting to get the "oh, no, they're not gonna do that, are they?" feeling). A little too quick of an ending, they probably could have added a tiny segue from the big closure scene of the movie and the follow-up epilogue scene.

Pacino yell in effect, but not as much as usual.

It's worth a weekend afternoon rental/rainy day rental.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

From the "movies I should have seen 15 (or so) years ago" category, I finally saw "Animal House" this past weekend (on the urging of 'ewe's entire family, from her parents to her 17-year-old brother). Yeah, if my first sentence didn't tip you off, I ended up realizing that I should have watched it many many years ago. Hilarious and awesome.

EDIT: In other news, 'ewe's family bought me the "Scorsese Collection", a 5 DVD boxed set containing: "Goodfellas" (which I already owned, but this is the 2-disc edition, so I finally have the movie on one disc), "Mean Streets", "After Hours", "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore", and "Who's that Knocking at my Door". I've always wanted to see "Mean Streets", and am intrigued by the last three. Now I just have to find the time to watch them all.
        Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
          From the "movies I should have seen 15 (or so) years ago" category, I finally saw "Animal House" this past weekend (on the urging of 'ewe's entire family, from her parents to her 17-year-old brother). Yeah, if my first sentence didn't tip you off, I ended up realizing that I should have watched it many many years ago. Hilarious and awesome.

JFC. As a sort of little kid growing up, I remember watching that with the family (censored of course, on TBS or something like that) on New Year's Eve (who also played The Blues Brothers right before Animal House that night; it was an annual thing with TBS).

"Maybe she'll take THIS seriously..."
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

JFC. As a sort of little kid growing up, I remember watching that with the family (censored of course, on TBS or something like that) on New Year's Eve (who also played The Blues Brothers right before Animal House that night; it was an annual thing with TBS).

"Maybe she'll take THIS seriously..."
            It's one of my dad's favorite movies of all time. (I have a sneaking suspicion that his frat was not unlike the Deltas... ) We watch it together at least once a year - my dad can quote the whole movie, though he held back due to tcbg's presence.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
              It's one of my dad's favorite movies of all time. (I have a sneaking suspicion that his frat was not unlike the Deltas... ) We watch it together at least once a year - my dad can quote the whole movie, though he held back due to tcbg's presence.
              If you haven't seen that movie, love that movie, or cannot quote 3 non-standard lines (ex: "TOGA!" doesn't count), then the terrorists have won.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                If you haven't seen that movie, love that movie, or cannot quote 3 non-standard lines (ex: "TOGA!" doesn't count), then the terrorists have won.
                Agreed

Note - we also watched "Blues Brothers" the night before.

Saw "Sherlock Holmes" this evening. I very much enjoyed it except for Holmes' love interest. I found her dull and untalented (not dissimilar to her performance in "Wedding Crashers"). The chemistry between Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic though and I loved how well the scenery was done. *two thumbs* up for the movie. A thoroughly enjoyable time.

Comment

I did notice that every other scene was "a great scene" (gotta admit, he was right). I appreciate him holding back on the quoting, as it was my first viewing.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    Revolutionary Road is such a terrible movie that I felt compelled to get online and post this from my phone because my cable modem isn't working right. If I wanted to watch a suburban couple argue for two hours I'd go visit my parents. The last 15 minutes saved it from sharing the "nothing happens" label with The Thin Red Line but even so it was tremendously dull.
                    It looked like crap, but the "Thin Red Line" comparison clinches it.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I very much enjoyed it except for Holmes' love interest.
                      I swear if they remade 2001 today, HAL would have a love interest. Everyone in Hollywood can just **** off and die.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        Nothing happens for 2 hours. Then the cheesiest most cliche most lame most lazy most obvious ending possible happens.

(The book might, however, just nose out Catcher in the Rye for worst piece of self-absorbed trash ever written.)
                        Last edited by Kepler; 12-31-2009, 12:47 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Catcher in the Rye was terrible...every time I have tried to read it I make it a few pages then want to poke my eyes out with a spoon!

Went to see Holmes but it was sold out which didn't bother me in the least since it wasn't my choice it was the lovely lady who accompanied me's choice. When we couldn't get in we saw Up in the Air and I loved every ****ed minute of it. ya know some actors, even really good ones, you can tell they are reading from a script...the way they break down a rant or how they act as they say it give their faking away. Clooney makes you think you are watching him and his buddies shooting the crap together everytime you see one of his movies. It is the way he pauses or scoffs mid sentence, or how a word trails off, or where his eyes wander too...even though it isn't authentic because he is acting it FEELS authentic. Oftentimes the brilliance is in the simplicity.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            ...even though it isn't authentic because he is acting it FEELS authentic. Oftentimes the brilliance is in the simplicity.
                            It helps when you play the same character in nearly every movie.

I do like him, also, though. While he may be playing the same character in many roles, it suits him perfectly, and he actually does have talent. I think that's why he's so likable and natural. Except as Batman. George Clooney as "George Clooney as Batman" just didn't quite work (he's even admitted as much).
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              It helps when you play the same character in nearly every movie.

I do like him, also, though. While he may be playing the same character in many roles, it suits him perfectly, and he actually does have talent. I think that's why he's so likable and natural. Except as Batman. George Clooney as "George Clooney as Batman" just didn't quite work (he's even admitted as much).
                              I agree that he does play a similar character in many of the movies, especially the romance flicks; he does comedy and drama equally well, IMO, which isn't that common. More like Cary Grant than any other current actor that comes to mind.
                              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                (The book might, however, just nose out Catcher in the Rye for worst piece of self-absorbed trash ever written.)
                                Impossible!

Comment

Working...
                                X