Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Stanley Cup Finals - I'm so Anze about how Quick Hank is, I'm Nashing my teeth!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Finals - I'm so Anze about how Quick Hank is, I'm Nashing my tee

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    538 Article on NHL Expansion

Basically says what hockey fans have been saying for infinity years: PUT TEAMS IN CANADA.

Toronto can hold a second team, Quebec can obviously hold a team, and according to the article there are five other cities that you'd never even consider that have a better starting fanbase than Vegas or Seattle.

Interestingly, Hamilton isn't mentioned in the article. I don't know if they left it out or if the study found that it doesn't actually have the fanbase, which is odd because it seemed like it was close to happening a few years back.
    I still think Seattle is pretty viable. They are in the top 10 in ratings for U.S. cities and don't even have a team. Even KC is a hell of a lot more viable than Vegas. I do agree that Toronto, Quebec City and other places are better options.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Finals - I'm so Anze about how Quick Hank is, I'm Nashing my tee

If you have One World Sport on your cable system, they have a KHL game every two weeks or so(?). First game is 9 AM ET on Wednesday. Somebody is playing Dynamo Moscow. Replay in the evening.

Its SD on FIOS, so the quality may not be the greatest, but it's better than watching whatever the NHL Networst is showing.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        I still think Seattle is pretty viable. They are in the top 10 in ratings for U.S. cities and don't even have a team. Even KC is a hell of a lot more viable than Vegas. I do agree that Toronto, Quebec City and other places are better options.
        The only issue I see is that the conferences are unbalanced and the only way to fix it would be to add two western teams. Do they have to be in Vegas & Seattle? No...but putting a team in QC or Hamilton doesn't make a lot of sense right after they just realigned.
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
          The only issue I see is that the conferences are unbalanced and the only way to fix it would be to add two western teams. Do they have to be in Vegas & Seattle? No...but putting a team in QC or Hamilton doesn't make a lot of sense right after they just realigned.
          QC works if it is a relocation from another Eastern city such as Miami or Brooklyn.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and the Hurricanes to Toronto. Expand to Seattle and Las Vegas. The NHL then has 32 teams with two 16-team conferences and four eight-team divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Relocate the Panthers to Quebec and the Hurricanes to Toronto. Expand to Seattle and Las Vegas. The NHL then has 32 teams with two 16-team conferences and four eight-team divisions.
              Not quite ready to sign up for the four specific choices, but this is very much the correct framework. (32/16/8)

I'd also stress that the NHL is much better off moving into markets that don't have NBA teams. While there isn't that much overlap among hardcore fans of the two leagues, corporate $$ and media attention tend to be spread too thin in mid-size markets that try to support both. Much of the conversation, here and elsewhere, does seem to take this into account. I'm just saying it needs to be treated as one of the most important factors.

Obviously Toronto is exempt from this concern -- unless a second NHL team would endanger the Raptors. But I'll let the hoops people worry about that.

Based on the above, I see the Panthers as a better candidate for relocation than the Hurricanes. Of course either market will support a championship contender, regardless of competition for the local sports dollar. But since the 'Canes have Raleigh to themselves, there's a better chance they can build toward a future of being supported through thick and thin.

Similarly, an NBA-free Seattle is an opportunity the NHL should jump on.

And then there's Las Vegas. Yes, it's NBA-free. But I have a lot of trouble imagining our sport truly taking root there. KC is a less glamorous alternative. But it's still western, and is likely a better candidate for long term stability. IMHO.
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Don't exactly know where to put this, but Bob Suter of Miracle on Ice fame passed away from apparent heart attack this afternoon. First from the '80 team.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  Don't exactly know where to put this, but Bob Suter of Miracle on Ice fame passed away from apparent heart attack this afternoon. First from the '80 team.
                  The latest incarnation of the Guess Who Died thread and the Wisconsin thread in the D-I forum are on it.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Not quite ready to sign up for the four specific choices, but this is very much the correct framework. (32/16/8)

I'd also stress that the NHL is much better off moving into markets that don't have NBA teams. While there isn't that much overlap among hardcore fans of the two leagues, corporate $$ and media attention tend to be spread too thin in mid-size markets that try to support both. Much of the conversation, here and elsewhere, does seem to take this into account. I'm just saying it needs to be treated as one of the most important factors.

Obviously Toronto is exempt from this concern -- unless a second NHL team would endanger the Raptors. But I'll let the hoops people worry about that.

Based on the above, I see the Panthers as a better candidate for relocation than the Hurricanes. Of course either market will support a championship contender, regardless of competition for the local sports dollar. But since the 'Canes have Raleigh to themselves, there's a better chance they can build toward a future of being supported through thick and thin.

Similarly, an NBA-free Seattle is an opportunity the NHL should jump on.

And then there's Las Vegas. Yes, it's NBA-free. But I have a lot of trouble imagining our sport truly taking root there. KC is a less glamorous alternative. But it's still western, and is likely a better candidate for long term stability. IMHO.
                    NBA-free Seattle would be perfect. It would sort of be our little dig at the NBA for them stealing the Sonics. I still think Portland would be a great market for a team. The Winterhawks sell out the Rose Garden and that's with a WHL team. Vegas screams Phoenix to me.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

The Winter Classic found a home today...

Nationals Park will host the game between the Caps and Hawks on New Years Day...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                        NBA-free Seattle would be perfect. It would sort of be our little dig at the NBA for them stealing the Sonics. I still think Portland would be a great market for a team. The Winterhawks sell out the Rose Garden and that's with a WHL team.
                        Portland would certainly be a nice addition geographically. If Seattle happens, you'd have an immediate archrival; plus natural rivalries with all of the Pacific Coast teams. The NBA's presence still concerns me. But in Portland you wouldn't be competing locally with either the NFL or MLB. The Ducks and Beavers each have their own college towns. Could work.

Vegas screams Phoenix to me.
                        Agreed. And IMHO, the challenges would be even greater. I don't know many people that have relocated to Vegas. But in the handful cases I'm aware of, "NHL Season Ticketholder" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Would there be interest among the tourist population? Sure. But even for those making an annual junket, that's probably 1 or 2 games a year. Nice business to have, but not a large portion of the necessary fanbase.

In fairness, my knowledge of Vegas is quite limited. Could be there's potential I'm not seeing. So for now, my bottom line is that I'm extremely skeptical, but am keeping an open mind.

Comment

HBO's 24/7 on the Winter Classic is no more (at least for now).
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Portland would certainly be a nice addition geographically. If Seattle happens, you'd have an immediate archrival; plus natural rivalries with all of the Pacific Coast teams. The NBA's presence still concerns me. But in Portland you wouldn't be competing locally with either the NFL or MLB. The Ducks and Beavers each have their own college towns. Could work.
                            Portland would work. Hockey is huge there and the Winter Hawks (WHL) fans are rabid. Neither Seattle nor Portland would work alone. They hate each other and would never root for one another. However if admitted as a pair they would both do well, and that would instantly become one of the NHL's top rivalries.

And let us not forget that the Portland Rosebuds were the first US team to compete for the Stanley Cup, and the Seattle Metropolitans were the first US team to win it.

The Winter Hawks would have to change their sweaters, though.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Agreed. And IMHO, the challenges would be even greater. I don't know many people that have relocated to Vegas. But in the handful cases I'm aware of, "NHL Season Ticketholder" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Would there be interest among the tourist population? Sure. But even for those making an annual junket, that's probably 1 or 2 games a year. Nice business to have, but not a large portion of the necessary fanbase.

In fairness, my knowledge of Vegas is quite limited. Could be there's potential I'm not seeing. So for now, my bottom line is that I'm extremely skeptical, but am keeping an open mind.
                              It is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. Or at least it was. But due to the recession, and being in a town that is reliant on people spending lots of money, it also has a high unemployment rate. I don't agree that an NHL team would work there. And this is coming from someone who loves going there.

Has Las Vegas made an attempt to get any kind of pro franchise?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Portland would work. Hockey is huge there and the Winter Hawks (WHL) fans are rabid. Neither Seattle nor Portland would work alone. They hate each other and would never root for one another. However if admitted as a pair they would both do well, and that would instantly become one of the NHL's top rivalries.

And let us not forget that the Portland Rosebuds were the first US team to compete for the Stanley Cup, and the Seattle Metropolitans were the first US team to win it.

The Winter Hawks would have to change their sweaters, though.
                                Good points on the hockey history; nicely played on the sweaters.

Must spread...

Comment

Working...
                                X