This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Exactly, the problem isnt the need for an ID, the problem is changing the law right before the election which is a way to keep people from voting. If this is such a big deal fight for the law right after the previous election so everyone has plenty of time to prepare. We know that isnt the motive though
    My favorite part about Texas's law is that gun permits are acceptable but college IDs are not. I'm not sure it'd be possible to be more blatantly partisan than that.

Comment

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      My favorite part about Texas's law is that gun permits are acceptable but college IDs are not. I'm not sure it'd be possible to be more blatantly partisan than that.
      And that's the part not reflected by most (or all) the right wingers and Fix News. It's not the laws themselves but the way the laws are written that's the problem.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Or you could have reasonable voter ID laws.

Seriously, Alaska cannot do almost all things right but, our Voter ID law is one of the few.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Skin color, maybe. "If you're too black you don't read on this scanner so we can't be sure you're here. But it's fair because everybody runs through the same detector..."

Different process; same intention. I'm sure the states with literacy tests and the like in the 50's made a big show of how it was all about "the well-being of the political process." Even a GOPer should understand that was bad, since then it was the Democrats doing it.

In 30 years, this is going to viewed exactly the way we view this.
          Last edited by Kepler; 10-20-2014, 01:41 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Here is the Texas website regarding what is, or is not, required.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections...argepamp.shtml

As for ID's, basically if the Texas Department of Public Safety, or the United States government, issued it, it's ok. Bay Ridge Christian College ID, not so much.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I know its against board rules, but I've discovered Bob's real name and profession!

Anthony Culler (R), who is challenging Rep. James Clyburn's (D-SC) for Congress, referred to same-sex couples as "gremlins" and "bullies" in a Facebook post, according to The Hill.

Culler decried same-sex marriage as "a pestilence that has descended on our society, against our will, by those in the courts and government that do not value the traditional family. Same sex couples that seek to destroy our way of life and the institution of marriage are NOT cute and cuddly but rather (for those of you that are old enough to remember the movie), Gremlins that will only destroy our way of life."

Just kidding Bob before you freak out.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                I know its against board rules, but I've discovered Bob's real name and profession!

Anthony Culler (R), who is challenging Rep. James Clyburn's (D-SC) for Congress, referred to same-sex couples as "gremlins" and "bullies" in a Facebook post, according to The Hill.

Culler decried same-sex marriage as "a pestilence that has descended on our society, against our will, by those in the courts and government that do not value the traditional family. Same sex couples that seek to destroy our way of life and the institution of marriage are NOT cute and cuddly but rather (for those of you that are old enough to remember the movie), Gremlins that will only destroy our way of life."

Can't be Bob. Bob wouldn't get the movie reference since he doesn't follow pop culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by Priceless
                  Good to see you're so reasonable.
                  Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                  Very well, said.
                  Originally posted by Rover
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Here is the Texas website regarding what is, or is not, required.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections...argepamp.shtml

As for ID's, basically if the Texas Department of Public Safety, or the United States government, issued it, it's ok. Bay Ridge Christian College ID, not so much.
                    Seems logical.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

What makes that analogy even dumber is that Gremlins is a comedy. Ooooooooooh, scary!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post

I always love the argument that gay people are going to destroy the institution of marriage by *participating* in it and extending it to even more people. Um, what?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          I always love the argument that gay people are going to destroy the institution of marriage by *participating* in it and extending it to even more people. Um, what?
                          "Women's suffrage will destroy the institution of representative democracy." -- Same argument, 1915
                          Last edited by Kepler; 10-20-2014, 09:33 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            What makes that analogy even dumber is that Gremlins is a comedy. Ooooooooooh, scary!
                            Gremlins 2 is a comedy, but my possibly imperfect recollection is that Gremlins wasn't, or if it was, weighed a lot more towards scary than funny. Even in Gremlins 2, the bad guys are clearly dangerous.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Assuming the good guys have won this round of the culture war...

"Essentially, as Northeastern, Midwestern and Western moderates became marginalised in the party, the Southern cultural conservatives took over the issue framing," he writes. "Whereas the former were true conservatives, fighting to preserve traditional cultural norms, the latter were radicals seeking to impose a puritanical set of policies with very little appeal on the country through the legislative process."

... what's the next battle?

Dick Meyer of Scripps writes that while social issues may no longer be at the forefront of today's policy battles, the cultural polarisation that they reflected is still around and exacerbated by today's politicians.

Slate's Rehan Salam identifies the debate over religious freedom, embodied in the recent Supreme Court decision to allow employers to opt out of providing insurance that covers some forms of contraception, as a possible central focus of a renewed culture conflict.

"The next culture war could pit devout secularists against a shrinking religious minority determined to live in accordance with their beliefs," he writes.

The abortion issue also isn't going away, he notes, as some states continue to push for a ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

The next big debate could be about reproductive technology that doesn't yet exist, he says, such as artificial wombs and eugenics. Or it could have nothing to do with marriage and sex and instead be a result of the rise of Latino culture in the US.

"Given that the Latino population is poorer than the population at large, we can expect that its members will press for a larger share of public resources at a time when the white and black populations will be aging rapidly," he writes. "It is not at all obvious that non-Latinos will embrace this prospect."

The "culture war" as we know it may be coming to a close. Political conflict, drawn from differing agendas, experiences and priorities, is as old as humankind, however. It's not going anywhere.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 10-20-2014, 09:41 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Eugenics? Heck we're killing babies now because they don't fit the right "profile". IIRC Eugenics was the big "thing" 100 years ago. Can't have those non whites breeding too much can we?

Artificial wombs? I can see it. Honor Harrington did it.

And the devout secularists are going to find out that their vision of Utopia isn't .
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X