X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I think its a pretty gray area. At what point does advocating their views become political campaigning?

Did the Houston mayor take it too far? Maybe. Did the pastor veer into the world of political campaigning? Maybe.

I think Joe is correct, that it seems there could be a conflict of IRS regulations and free speech on this one.

Edit: I also have not heard anything about this other than reading the couple of links posted in this thread.
    At the moment, all this is about is the validity of the petition to put the city's equal rights ordinance on the ballot. The city secretary accepted it, the city attorney threw it out because of irregularities with a bunch of pages, mainly due (if I remember right) to the canvassers who signed to attest the pages not being city residents (that's the people saying "I'm the guy that collected the signatures," not the signers themselves), or something of that nature, and the petitioners are suing to keep it on the ballot, arguing that the city attorney improperly inserted himself into the process.

The city subpoena is, I believe, seeking to establish that they knew the rules well enough to know better. I don't think anything related to their tax-exempt status is on the table right now. To the extent that they asked for sermons, presumably someone was thinking that the sermons went into some detail on how to collect petition signatures. (Or someone wasn't really thinking and just asked for everything s/he could think of. Except in the broadest of terms, this originated with someone in the city attorney's office, rather than with Annise Parker.)

As far as the matter at hand (and not the sideshow involving the city's subpoenas in discovery)... on the one hand, I think the ordinance is a good thing and should stand. On the other hand, as far as I know, nobody is currently asserting that the petitioners failed to obtain the required number of valid signatures. On the third hand, even if the page issue is only a technical violation, the rule presumably still exists for a reason; shouldn't it be enforced?
    Last edited by Craig P.; 10-17-2014, 11:00 PM.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
      At the moment, all this is about is the validity of the petition to put the city's equal rights ordinance on the ballot. The city secretary accepted it, the city attorney threw it out because of irregularities with a bunch of pages, mainly due (if I remember right) to the canvassers who signed not being city residents, or something of that nature, and the petitioners are suing to keep it on the ballot, arguing that the city attorney improperly inserted himself into the process.

The city subpoena is, I believe, seeking to establish that they knew the rules well enough to know better. I don't think anything related to their tax-exempt status is on the table right now. To the extent that they asked for sermons, presumably someone was thinking that the sermons went into some detail on how to collect petition signatures. (Or someone wasn't really thinking and just asked for everything s/he could think of. Except in the broadest of terms, this originated with someone in the city attorney's office, rather than with Annise Parker.)
      That makes a little more sense, given the nature of the reported objections to the subpoenas.

Comment

Supreme Court denies stay on same sex marriages in Alaska .
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Supreme Court allows election in Texas to proceed under new voting rights law:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Saturday allowed Texas to enforce its voter identification law for the Nov. 4 midterm elections.

The state law requires voters to show a state-issued driver’s license, personal ID card or concealed handgun license, or a U.S. citizenship certificate, military ID card or passport.

This week the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, acting on an emergency appeal by state officials, decided Texas could use the voter ID law for this election. The appeals court said the state already had been training poll workers to apply the voter ID law and said it was too late to change the rules so close to the date when voters were due to begin casting ballots.

The appeals court said it was guided in part by recent Supreme Court emergency actions on election rules in Ohio, North Carolina and Wisconsin. The results in those cases pointed in different directions, but in each case the justices blocked late changes to state election procedures, seemingly out of concern for voter confusion.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I can think of good reasoning in favor of letting the TX law stand for the election (not reasoning that I'd agree with necessarily, but good reasoning). Voter confusion isn't it. Voters might be confused and... bring more ID to the polls than they actually need? It was shoddy reasoning when the Fifth Circuit used it, and it's shoddy reasoning when the Supreme Court uses it.

(If I'd been betting on recent Supreme Court rulings involving TX, I'd be 0-2. I would have bet on them denying the injunction/stay on the abortion law and granting on voter ID.)
            Last edited by Craig P.; 10-18-2014, 04:16 PM.
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
              I can think of good reasoning in favor of letting the TX law stand for the election (not reasoning that I'd agree with necessarily, but good reasoning). Voter confusion isn't it. Voters might be confused and... bring more ID to the polls than they actually need? It was shoddy reasoning when the Fifth Circuit used it, and it's shoddy reasoning when the Supreme Court uses it.

(If I'd been betting on recent Supreme Court rulings involving TX, I'd be 0-2. I would have bet on them denying the injunction/stay on the abortion law and granting on voter ID.)
              Voter ID is going to happen. Notwithstanding spurious claims of "racism." And the United States will join democracies around the world in expecting voters to identify themselves before exercising their franchise. Perhaps Democrats can refocus. And turn their vaunted "get out the vote" efforts to helping black folks get their ID cards, rather than tucking them in bed at night.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                Voter ID is going to happen. Notwithstanding spurious claims of "racism." And the United States will join democracies around the world in expecting voters to identify themselves before exercising their franchise. Perhaps Democrats can refocus. And turn their vaunted "get out the vote" efforts to helping black folks get their ID cards, rather than tucking them in bed at night.
                Sure it is. Just like gay marriage wasnt going to happen.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Since evidence of voter fraud is woefully insignificant, can draggers give one legit reason why enacting voter ID gives them such a boner?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    why enacting voter ID gives them such a boner?

This.

Plus this.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 10-18-2014, 06:09 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      Or you could have reasonable voter ID laws.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

This might be the first significant roll-back of the surveillance state in 14 years.

The Florida Supreme Court ruled Thursday that obtaining cell phone location data to track a person’s location or movement in real time constitutes a Fourth Amendment search and therefore requires a court-ordered warrant.

The ruling constitutes the first time that a state court has reached this finding under the Fourth Amendment. It comes at a timely moment when federal courts of appeal in other jurisdictions are in the midst of taking up the question of cell tower data, Wessler told WIRED. Even if other jurisdictions rule differently, the Florida case makes it more likely that the issue will one day get to the U.S. Supreme Court. If it does, civil liberties advocates hope that the federal court would rule as it did on the use of GPS tracking devices used by police, determining that it constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment. Though the court in that case fell short of ruling that the use of GPS devices requires a warrant, law enforcement agencies around the country have changed their practices as a result of the ruling.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-18-2014, 09:18 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Since evidence of voter fraud is woefully insignificant,
                          Assertion contrary to fact. There is plenty of evidence that voter fraud occurs. The spurious red herring is that no one can prove which particular vote was fraudulent. Two separate matters. Only the latter is true, that does not make the former false.

When there are more votes cast than there are registered voters, how else can such an outcome be explained? Please do not try and maintain that someone just accidentally counted the same pile of ballots twice.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Sure it is. Just like gay marriage wasnt going to happen.
                            I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of voter id requirement passed in most states, if it has not already been done. The Supreme Court seems to be most concerned about changing the rules at the last minute, not the possibility someone can't figure out how to get an ID.

I personally think the Republicans are wasting a lot of time and money on the issue. Might it matter in a single election, in the short term? Possibly, although I don't think it's likely. The inner city precincts are going Democrat anyway. You could have a statewide election like Franken's that comes down to a few votes, but those are pretty rare.

I also don't think there are large numbers of people walking around without some sort of ID, contrary to the anecdotes trotted out each election. But even if those people exist, I mean c'mon, how hard is it really to get an ID? So you have to wait in line like at the DMV? It can't be any harder than going online to register for health insurance and waiting in a "virtual" line for 4 hours to prevent being fined/punished for not signing up.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Assertion contrary to fact. There is plenty of evidence that voter fraud occurs.
                              Yes of course it occurs. However the frequency and level of damage are without question significantly up for debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of voter id requirement passed in most states, if it has not already been done. The Supreme Court seems to be most concerned about changing the rules at the last minute, not the possibility someone can't figure out how to get an ID.

I personally think the Republicans are wasting a lot of time and money on the issue. Might it matter in a single election, in the short term? Possibly, although I don't think it's likely. The inner city precincts are going Democrat anyway. You could have a statewide election like Franken's that comes down to a few votes, but those are pretty rare.

I also don't think there are large numbers of people walking around without some sort of ID, contrary to the anecdotes trotted out each election. But even if those people exist, I mean c'mon, how hard is it really to get an ID? So you have to wait in line like at the DMV? It can't be any harder than going online to register for health insurance and waiting in a "virtual" line for 4 hours to prevent being fined/punished for not signing up.
                                Exactly, the problem isnt the need for an ID, the problem is changing the law right before the election which is a way to keep people from voting. If this is such a big deal fight for the law right after the previous election so everyone has plenty of time to prepare. We know that isnt the motive though
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X