This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
    I think people tend to blow the impact of these court cases way out of proportion, but what essentually has now happened is every instance of an employer raising a religious exemption just became a court case. Keeps the SCOTUS busy I suppose, but this has also maginalized the mostly Southern part of the country from everywhere else as companies providing contraception has strong support amongst voters. Not sure how you run nationally on an anti-contraception platform (which supporting this decision will be viewed as).
    First, the decision only applies to closely held corporations, not behemoths like GM.

Remember, this case was that Hobby objected to providing abortificants to its employees. Hobby provides birth control.

When the Catholic Church comes before the bench, it will be for the whole spectrum. I think they'll also prevail.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      How does a corporation have religious beliefs? Inquiring minds want to know!
      Well, you might start by actually reading what was written!

In a very narrowly-limiting ruling, the OWNERS of CLOSELY-HELD companies had their First Amendment right affirmed today: the government cannot compel the OWNERS of a CLOSELY-HELD COMPANY to act contrary to their religious beliefs.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "corporations" at all in that sentence, Mr. Inquiring Mind.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Most states will say you vote on it. Same way you decide other corporate action.
        But they have to have a soul. How can they be redeemed for their sins if they don't have a soul? Or did Jesus only die for flesh and blood people and not brick and mortar people? But if that's true, then what is the foundation of their religion?

It's all so confusing.

Comment

Here is the IRS definition of a "closely-held coproration":

http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/...ies/Entities-5

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

In a very narrowly-limiting ruling, the OWNERS of CLOSELY-HELD companies had their First Amendment right affirmed today: the government cannot compel the OWNERS of a CLOSELY-HELD COMPANY to act contrary to their religious beliefs.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "corporations" at all in that sentence, Mr. Inquiring Mind.
            Then they do not deserve the protections afforded corporations. Thats BS and its wrong.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Hobby Lobby is a corporation. A closely held one, but a corporation nonetheless. Hence the "Inc." in its name.

Kennedy's concurrence should give you pause. He essentially says single payer could be less restrictive than the current system. He pretty much implies that the government will be providing contraception to women working for hobby lobby just as it does for religious non-profits, which is why hobby lobby won today. If it couldn't, hobby lobby would've lost his vote and the case because there would be no less restrictive means of accomplishing the government's compelling interest in women's health.

So congratulations, your taxes will now be covering birth control for thousands of women. I'm sure you're thrilled to be subsidizing Hobby Lobby due to it's owner's religion.
              Last edited by unofan; 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Oh, and further proof you didn't read the opinion yourself, the first amendment was explicitly and specifically not used today. This was entirely an RFRA case. No one's first amendment rights were affirmed.

Comment

Here's an interesting nugget from the New York Times: how frequently do the same justices vote together on cases?

Even the Justices who vote together least often (Ginsburg and Thomas, Ginsburg and Alito) still vote together almost 2/3 of the time (65%)!
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Hobby Lobby is a corporation. A closely held one, but a corporation nonetheless. Hence the "Inc." in its name.

Kennedy's concurrence should give you pause. He essentially says single payer could be less restrictive than the current system. He pretty much implies that the government will be providing contraception to women working for hobby lobby just as it does for religious non-profits, which is why hobby lobby won today. If it couldn't, hobby lobby would've lost his vote and the case because there would be no less restrictive means of accomplishing the government's compelling interest in women's health.

So congratulations, your taxes will now be covering birth control for thousands of women. I'm sure you're thrilled to be subsidizing Hobby Lobby due to it's owner's religion.
                    If there was any chance this decision moved us closer to just a single payer system, I'd say it was a great decision.

Purchasing health insurance used to be a voluntary activity in this country. Then employers stupidly tried to bribe prospective hires by offering to buy it for them.

A paternalistic majority of legislators decided it was something we all needed, but lacked the backbone to say the government will pay for it and spread it out over the entire tax base, so they just decided to make employers pay for it because many of them already were.

If we need health insurance, or a country-wide program to pay for everyone's health care, they should have just taken the necessary step of passing it, and not this silly intermediary step of trying to make someone else pay for it.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Not to get too political on this thread as its a law related one, but I'm extremely amused at conservative posters acting like they've scored some sort of huge victory here. Since they're all males presumably (Fishy, Bob Gray) this doesn't affect them unless I'm missing something, and as has been pointed out they'll still be paying for these services one way or the other. However, this drives a stake in a GOP Presidential candidacy in 2016, especially against a female candidate. The people most likely against contraception are either 1) too old to need it, or 2) not having sex - pretty much the GOP base. However, as the public at large is in favor of such coverage, I'm real curious how whatever hard right fundie the Republicans nominate is going to finesse this one, especially when another right wing company decides they don't want to pay for a life saving operation (say a heart transplant) because it conflicts with their religious beliefs.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Not to get too political on this thread as its a law related one, but I'm extremely amused at conservative posters acting like they've scored some sort of huge victory here. Since they're all males presumably (Fishy, Bob Gray) this doesn't affect them unless I'm missing something, and as has been pointed out they'll still be paying for these services one way or the other. However, this drives a stake in a GOP Presidential candidacy in 2016, especially against a female candidate. The people most likely against contraception are either 1) too old to need it, or 2) not having sex - pretty much the GOP base. However, as the public at large is in favor of such coverage, I'm real curious how whatever hard right fundie the Republicans nominate is going to finesse this one, especially when another right wing company decides they don't want to pay for a life saving operation (say a heart transplant) because it conflicts with their religious beliefs.
                        Not to get too political. Ha! I stopped there, as that's too hilarious to bother reading the rest.
                        Originally posted by Priceless
                        Good to see you're so reasonable.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                        Very well, said.
                        Originally posted by Rover
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Unf*kingbelievable...
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            First, the decision only applies to closely held corporations, not behemoths like GM.
                            Why? This seems arbitrary.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                              Not to get too political. Ha! I stopped there, as that's too hilarious to bother reading the rest.

Hey, keeping P.O.ing the electorate at your own peril Bob. Last time I checked your side hasn't been very good at winning Presidential elections. But keep hoping only your voters show up next time. Worked well for President Romney, so should do the same for President Cruz/Paul/Walker/etc....
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Hey, keeping P.O.ing the electorate at your own peril Bob. Last time I checked your side hasn't been very good at winning Presidential elections. But keep hoping only your voters show up next time. Worked well for President Romney, so should do the same for President Cruz/Paul/Walker/etc....
                                I'm not about P.O.ing anyone, just sticking to my values, that's all. If those aren't popular with the electorate, well, there's worse things. I realize that's a rather antiquated way of approaching things, but there's more to life than finding out what is popular and then changing yourself to match that.
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X