X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Blind squirrel, nut, etc.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The Aereo case is one of those fascinating instances where it's difficult not to be drawn back and forth between one side and the other depending upon whether your focusing on details or looking at the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        The customer already owns the right to use a public library, too, but they don't own the library itself - they can't make copies of every book there, nor can they pay someone to go mine copies for them.
        I had no idea that 3 million people could check out the same library book simultaneously!

My inference is that the 6 Justices who voted against Aereo were subconsciously afraid to overturn such a widespread and well-established business model. By this ruling, if I lived on a hill and all my neighbors lived in a valley, I couldn't let them use my TV antenna to watch broadcast TV in their houses merely by running a long wire from my antenna to their houses. There are lots of places where you cannot get reception of broadcast TV at all. Those folks are told today, "tough luck Charlie, even if it is supposedly 'free' broadcast TV, you're out of luck anyway due to an unfortunate local geography working against you."
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          I had no idea that 3 million people could check out the same library book simultaneously!

My inference is that the 6 Justices who voted against Aereo were subconsciously afraid to overturn such a widespread and well-established business model. By this ruling, if I lived on a hill and all my neighbors lived in a valley, I couldn't let them use my TV antenna to watch broadcast TV in their houses merely by running a long wire from my antenna to their houses. There are lots of places where you cannot get reception of broadcast TV at all. Those folks are told today, "tough luck Charlie, even if it is supposedly 'free' broadcast TV, you're out of luck anyway due to an unfortunate local geography working against you."
          Interestingly enough, that's exactly how I grew up - on the side of a hill in East Tennessee on the wrong side of the local antennas. There were only 10 houses on our 1 mile long dead-end street, so it was cost prohibitive to run cable. Result: we didn't even bother to have a TV until I was in high school and we got a VCR.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Result: we didn't even bother to have a TV until I was in high school and we got a VCR.
            What's a VCR?

Comment

That's it. You, off my lawn!
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                The customer already owns the right to use a public library, too, but they don't own the library itself - they can't make copies of every book there, nor can they pay someone to go mine copies for them.
                But they throw dimes into the copy machine.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Not SCOTUS, but the warm-up act.

I would have said 2025, but it's starting to look like 2015. Maybe the arc of the moral universe actually does* bend towards justice.

(* spoiler: it doesn't. There is no arc of the moral universe. But there are good people fighting evil, hard, every day, for years and year and years.)
                  Justice Kennedy's opinion and Justice Scalia's dissent citing that opinion opened the door.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Justice Kennedy's opinion and Justice Scalia's dissent citing that opinion opened the door.
                    Yepper.

In a hundred years people will think Scalia was a champion of tolerance, equality and personal liberty. He'll be like the Anti-Taney, with one aberration coloring an otherwise opposite career. That's the greatest ironic punishment the law gods could ever have devised for him. :-)
                    Last edited by Kepler; 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Yepper.

In a hundred years people will think Scalia was a champion of tolerance, equality and personal liberty. He'll be like the Anti-Taney, with one aberration coloring an otherwise opposite career. That's the greatest ironic punishment the law gods could ever have devised for him. :-)
                      Justice Scalia, on quite a few occasions, has proved prophetic in his dissents.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It will be fascinating to see whether SCOTUS will allow the pending House lawsuit against the POTUS to proceed.

Under the Constitution, Congress is supposed to create and amend laws and the President to faithfully execute them, but Mr. Obama has grabbed inherent Article I powers by suspending or rewriting statutes he opposes. The President has usurped Congress with impunity because he assumes no one has the legal standing to challenge him.

The Washington lawyer David Rivkin and Florida International University law professor Elizabeth Foley suggest a broader approach that doesn't require legislators to act as individuals. They're trying to persuade House leaders to mount an institutional challenge to the White House rewrite of ObamaCare's employer mandate. Here the President is defying the plain language of laws and undermining legislative power. The courts ought to extend standing to the House as an institution to vindicate this injury. Short of impeachment, there is no other way for Congress to defend its constitutional prerogatives and the rule of law.
                        I guess Boehner finally listened to them. Some folks think the Court might actually allow the suit to proceed.

More than a few judges and Supreme Court Justices seem to be concerned that Mr. Obama's conduct is undermining the rule of law and political accountability. Already this week the Supreme Court whaled the Environmental Protection Agency for defying the plain language of the law in the name of anticarbon policy, and more rebukes may be coming in the next week on recess appointments and ObamaCare's contraception mandate.
                        There's no way any impeachment attempt would fly, clearly no one has the stomach for it. If Article I requires the President "faithfully to execute the laws" and if the President says, "screw that law, I'm not going to obey it," what recourse is there? Is there any recourse at all? or do we tacitly acquiesce to a potential nascent executive de facto dictator?

I thought I had remembered President Jackson ignored a Supreme Court ruling dealing with Native Americans (something along the lines of "Where are Justice Marshall's troops?") but apparently my memory was fallible. SCOTUS ruled that the state of Georgia had no jurisdiction over the Cherokee nation, only the federal government did, and that case was more tangled and complicated than making Jackson the sole scapegoat for the shameful treatment afterward (when the Cherokees were forcibly evicted from their land).
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          or do we tacitly acquiesce to a potential nascent executive de facto dictator?
                          Multiple WSJ links, lots of rambling about pure GOP talking points, and then this little ditty. What a true independent you are...

The EPA did not get smacked down nearly as hard as you think, and Scalia is currently throwing a hissy fit about recess appointments in a concurrence that reads like a dissent.

But you're kidding yourself if you think SCOTUS likes congress any more than the executive branch. They could easily say congress's recourse is to impeach the president. And if they don't want to, that's on congress, not the courts.
                          Last edited by unofan; 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

If I had a quarter for every time John Roberts screwed Fishy, I'd be 10 bucks shy of being a Republican myself!

But his fidelity to The Impotent Boner is interesting. Makes you wonder though....

Boner 1) has no standing to sue, and 2) doesn't even know what he's suing about. So for example he might sue over Obama's order giving federal benefits to legally married same sex couples. In short, he's going to sue to be on the side of discrimination??? Oooookaaayyyy.....
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Executive 0 Senate 9
                              http://m.washingtonpost.com/politics...d19_story.html
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

35 feet seemed reasonable to me to keep protesters from intimidating patients, but I'm no Supreme Court justice.

http://www.boston.com/news/2014/06/2...:Main_headline

Comment

Working...
                                X