This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Sorry, but if Kepler does have a troll alter ego (frankly, I figure a certain moderator would've outed that by now), I'm not believing for one second that it's FF.
    Meh, I could see him playing the other side to see what kind of reaction he'd get and to play with people's heads. The long winded ramblings certainly would fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Reports of my reincarnation have been greatly exaggerated.
      You're still celebrating your alma mater knocking off (AGAIN!!!!) my alma mater in the ECAC playoffs.

BTW, how many speed cameras are up in your neck of the woods??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Assuming the teacher unions aren't going anywhere, incentive pay will be moderated by the union in order to help protect its weaker members. The most likely scenario would be that the teachers keep within their pay lanes, but that meeting certain criteria could make them eligible for annual bonuses. While schools would certainly try to poach teachers from other districts, the unions will have a way to keep that in check, too, somehow. Despite what you may or may not think of union bosses, they're not generally stupid people. If districts find a loophole, the unions will be quick to close that loophole.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          BTW, how many speed cameras are up in your neck of the woods??
          As far as I know, zero. (Full disclosure: I am a very slow driver.)
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            As far as I know, zero. (Full disclosure: I am a very slow driver.)
            Watch Rt 28 just over the MoCo line. MoCo loves the revenue.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Broadcasters 6 Aereo 3
              http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/th...o/?tid=HP_lede
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Either those 6 Justices are technologically illiterate, or they subconsciously favor entrenched interests over technically legal yet practically disruptive technology. Scalia of course gets right to the point: if Aereo is illegal, then also is illegal to use a copy machine to copy pages of a book you own yourself for personal use.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I think where Aereo got it wrong was that they should've set up a per-client payment to the networks, like cable systems do. Because really, the only difference between Aereo and cable is that cable provides local over-the-air broadcasts and subscription channels while Aereo provides only the local OTA stations.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Is sanity returning?

I welcome somebody with more expertise chiming in, but this seems like a very big deal and an indication that just a smidgen of our liberty might be returning after the Dark Ages of the last 13 years.

This decision was 9-0, which suggests to me that the overreach was insane, but it wouldn't be the first time the Court deferred to that.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Either those 6 Justices are technologically illiterate, or they subconsciously favor entrenched interests over technically legal yet practically disruptive technology. Scalia of course gets right to the point: if Aereo is illegal, then also is illegal to use a copy machine to copy pages of a book you own yourself for personal use.
                      Disagree. The more correct analogy is that someone has set up a for-profit business to go into public libraries and copy entire books for their paying customers. The company is profiting from the taxpayer-provided content (library books/OTA TV), not from content that the customer already owns.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday police must almost always obtain a warrant before searching mobile devices seized when arresting someone, extending constitutional privacy protections to the increasingly vast amounts of data Americans keep on smartphones, cellphones and other hand-held digital technology.

The court, in a unanimous ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts, said both the quantity and quality of information contained in modern hand-held devices is constitutionally protected from police intrusion without a warrant.
                        As many of us had expected, and hoped...

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          Disagree. [To me,] The more correct analogy is that someone has set up a for-profit business to go into public libraries and copy entire books for their paying customers. The company is profiting from the taxpayer-provided content (library books/OTA TV), not from content that the customer already owns.

The customer already owns the right to view broadcast TV over their own antenna. That's exactly what Aereo delivers. Your own language should direct you to the same conclusion, no?

Comment

The customer already owns the right to view broadcast TV over their own antenna. That's exactly what Aereo delivers. Your own language should direct you to the same conclusion, no?
                            The customer already owns the right to use a public library, too, but they don't own the library itself - they can't make copies of every book there, nor can they pay someone to go mine copies for them.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Yep, they're pocket PCs at this point.

Comment

Not SCOTUS, but the warm-up act.

I would have said 2025, but it's starting to look like 2015. Maybe the arc of the moral universe actually does* bend towards justice.

(* spoiler: it doesn't. There is no arc of the moral universe. But there are good people fighting evil, hard, every day, for years and year and years.)
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X