• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Can somebody tell me who died and left conservatives in charge of the reproductive and medical decisions of total strangers?
    These people aren't conservatives; they're radicals.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Can somebody tell me who died and left conservatives in charge of the reproductive and medical decisions of total strangers?
    Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    We get it. Worst person ever. So what? She probably breathed oxygen, too - should we all give that up, too?
    Yes, and any food with protein.

When we're all dead Bob will have won the Internet.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    And if you give me a minute or two I'll find Sanger's quotes on keeping the minorities down.
    We get it. Worst person ever. So what? She probably breathed oxygen, too - should we all give that up, too?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Ha ha ha ha. If your day job doesn't work out, there's always standup comedy - perhaps you and joecct can form a duo act.

It's completely laughable that anyone would equate couples' voluntary termination of pregnancies due to birth defects and other issues with a national program of state-enforced abortions for the purpose of altering the gene pool at large (you know, eugenics).
    Why? Women are terminating penalties because the baby is the wrong sex, the baby comes at an inconvenient time, and Downs Syndrome. Life has become cheap.

And if you give me a minute or two I'll find Sanger's quotes on keeping the minorities down.

1) Public Papers of Margaret Sanger - "The Eugenic Value of Birth Control Propaganda"

2) "Wickedness and the New Race" - Ch 6 "Wickedness of Large Families"
    [We should] apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is tainted, or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.
    3) "Women, Morality and Birth Control" 1922 pg 12
    We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.
    4) April 1932 "Birth Control Review" pg 108
    Birth control must lead ultimately to a cleaner race.
    Last edited by joecct; 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    If it is true that the perception of voter fraud is more damaging that the amount of fraud that is actually occurring, then the people primarily responsible for the damage are those who are deliberately feeding that perception.
    Neither "side" has exactly covered themselves in glory here, IMHO. We all know it does exist to some degree. We also know that people are required to have picture ID for lots of different reasons in daily life.

It seems that people could pretty easily come to a compromise: yeah, we want more than just lip service to "one person, one vote." How can presenting a valid picture ID to vote be much of a burden if people already need to present picture ID for lots of other things already anyway?

Saying people who favor voter ID are somehow trying to disenfranchise potential voters flies in the face of empirical evidence, studies indicate that minority turnout has been increasing as voter ID laws spread.

Both "sides" are disingenuously demagoging this issue when they could just as easily settle it and move on.

What is really ironic to me about the whole "debate" is how quickly people's tone changes when it comes to challenging signatures on nominating petitions. Suddenly everything is turned around. The same people who are the most vocal against voter ID are often leading the charge to get someone tossed off the ballot for not having valid signatures. "We can't have voter ID when my candidate is on the ballot, but let someone try to get another candidate on the ballot and we'll do what we can stop them."

These kinds of inconsistencies sure make it sound like expediency, and not principle, is the only thing that matters.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    The far more damaging problem is the widespread perception that voter fraud occurs, and tilts elections consistently to the same side.

We know for sure that voter fraud occurs. It makes no sense whatsoever to say that we should just be fine with it and allow it to keep going on.
    If it is true that the perception of voter fraud is more damaging that the amount of fraud that is actually occurring, then the people primarily responsible for the damage are those who are deliberately feeding that perception.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Let's say arguendo that Margaret Sanger is History's Greatest Monster, narrowly edging out Jimmy Carter.

What relevance does that have for women's reproductive rights now?
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Let's say arguendo that Margaret Sanger is History's Greatest Monster, narrowly edging out Jimmy Carter.

What relevance does that have for women's reproductive rights now?

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

So what? Implying that Planned Parenthood is some sort of sneaky cover for eugenics in 2014 because of what its founder personally believed in 1920 would be like saying, "Look out for that United States of America - you know that most of its founding fathers owned slaves, right?"
    Pretty much

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    And you're the one showing a glaring ignorance of history.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You're the one that brought Sanger in here, not me.
    And you're the one showing a glaring ignorance of history.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    um, Margaret Sanger's interest in promoting birth control as a way to keep "unwanted" populations from growing in number is pretty widespread knowledge, if I recall correctly.
    So what? Implying that Planned Parenthood is some sort of sneaky cover for eugenics in 2014 because of what its founder personally believed in 1920 would be like saying, "Look out for that United States of America - you know that most of its founding fathers owned slaves, right?"

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh yourself.
    You're the one that brought Sanger in here, not me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X