• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Gray
    replied
    Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    OK, I get it now. Thank you.

Here is the Wikipedia page on Sanger, for balance.
    Horrors, you're citing Wikipedia!

Just had to do that, as some folks around here have major issues with citing Wikipedia. I don't really have an issue with citing wiki, if there's info elsewhere that confirms what is said on wiki.

She certainly had a variety of views on things, many of which weren't as offensive as the ones I've cited. But, hey, that's kind of like saying someone is in the KKK and believes in white superiority, but they also coach little league baseball and donate to the United Way. The good stuff is good, but it doesn't excuse the bad, which reasonably leaves a taint.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Most other folks, and I'd have given up, but I'll say it one more time for you. My post was in response to joe's post mentioning eugenics, and I just provided a little history on eugenics. Just an informational post, but as usual, people try to pull it a variety of ways that have nothing to do with what I said. If you go back to my response to joe, you'll see what I'm saying. And I provided a bit of additional info for someone who wasn't familiar with Sanger, her wacky views, and her Nazi ties.
    OK, I get it now. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

I'm really just trying to figure out what your point is.
    Most other folks, and I'd have given up, but I'll say it one more time for you. My post was in response to joe's post mentioning eugenics, and I just provided a little history on eugenics. Just an informational post, but as usual, people try to pull it a variety of ways that have nothing to do with what I said. If you go back to my response to joe, you'll see what I'm saying. And I provided a bit of additional info for someone who wasn't familiar with Sanger, her wacky views, and her Nazi ties.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    JFC, Bob. It may not have been the most popular movie ever, but you don't recognize a Bond villain? It's even one from about 40 years ago at this point, so you can't even blame it on not paying attention to modern culture.
    To be fair to Bob, it was a really, really bad movie.

Turns out Drax is a much more interesting character in the book. I wish they'd filmed that instead.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I never said anything about birth control. You keep trying to talk to me about something I never commented on.
    I'm really just trying to figure out what your point is.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Never said anything about this Drax fellow either.
    JFC, Bob. It may not have been the most popular movie ever, but you don't recognize a Bond villain? It's even one from about 40 years ago at this point, so you can't even blame it on not paying attention to modern culture.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

I wasn't aware people were talking about eugenics. Eugenics is selective breeding to improve the stock. Pretty much everybody agrees that Hugo Drax is not a good role model.

I'm just not tracking, here. Are you equating birth control with eugenics because one of the leading exponents of birth control in the 19th century also advocated eugenics? Because that's like saying Hitler was a vegetarian therefore vegetarians are Nazis.
    I never said anything about birth control. You keep trying to talk to me about something I never commented on. Never said anything about this Drax fellow either. Sanger is 20th century as are the Nazis. You're losing the plot a bit it seems.

Eugenics is a broader subject than just selective breeding, as there are a variety of possible means believers in eugenics can use to in their eyes improve the human race.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    I wasn't aware people were talking about eugenics. Eugenics is selective breeding to improve the stock. Pretty much everybody agrees that Hugo Drax is not a good role model.

I'm just not tracking, here. Are you equating birth control with eugenics because one of the leading exponents of birth control in the 19th century also advocated eugenics? Because that's like saying Hitler was a vegetarian therefore vegetarians are Nazis.
    For dear old Margaret? She sure did.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So THAT explains some of your posts!
    Well, that and the high powered blotter acid...

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

If people are talking eugenics, and I was posting on response to joe bringing it up, then it's relevant to look at the history of eugenics in this country and elsewhere. If people tried that tactic on something else distasteful from the past, like Nazism or slavery or whatever, it'd look silly, as it does here.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Vice is awesome. I mean, I can't sleep for days afterwards and I usually either want to kill somebody or myself, but it's phenomenally brave and well done.
    So THAT explains some of your posts!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Technically speaking, HBO

LWT, GoT, Bill Maher, Vice, and for the next year The Newsroom are the only reasons I keep HBO. If not for Maher, Vice, and LWT, I'd probably cancel and just buy the blu-rays.
    Vice is awesome. I mean, I can't sleep for days afterwards and I usually either want to kill somebody or myself, but it's phenomenally brave and well done.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

As I said, Bob, let's assume Sanger was everything you say she was. Let's give you that, 100%.

How does that have any relevance on women's reproductive freedom today? In what way does it matter?
    If people are talking eugenics, and I was posting on response to joe bringing it up, then it's relevant to look at the history of eugenics in this country and elsewhere. If people tried that tactic on something else distasteful from the past, like Nazism or slavery or whatever, it'd look silly, as it does here.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

It was really appalling. LWT is the best show on television. We can honor the passing of Ben Bradlee by noting that true investigatory journalism now only exists on the Comedy Channel.

Think about that.
    Technically speaking, HBO

LWT, GoT, Bill Maher, Vice, and for the next year The Newsroom are the only reasons I keep HBO. If not for Maher, Vice, and LWT, I'd probably cancel and just buy the blu-rays.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X