X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Sadly most liberals don't concede issues on their side of things nearly as well as you do.
    So you think inability to concede on issues is a liberal trait, not simply a partisan trait?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Now hold on. Your OP said "nary a word." Grin referenced a word. You responded that if that was the best he could do he proved your point. That made no sense -- he has specifically rebutted what you had written; challenge accepted and won. He was quite correct, and your response didn't acknowledge it. On the merits, he was in fact right and you were in fact wrong, and your refusal to note this was... well, kinda sorta and the politest possible way you understand... a little bit delusional.
      You, and he, know full well what I meant. In hindsight I should have said barely a word, as I occasionally forget that people around here would rather nit-pick at wording than respond to substance. But, if we want to nit-pick, I was referencing the national media of course, so his reference to you doesn't count. See, that's a stupid argument that doesn't talk to substance, but we can both be silly that way if we want to.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
        So you think inability to concede on issues is a liberal trait, not simply a partisan trait?
        No, I'd say people on both sides of the aisle don't concede issues nearly as well as they should. I just referenced liberals, as that's what applies here.
        Very well, said.
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You are arguing an issue with me that I haven't said a word about. Personally I don't like the big money that pours into campaigns and the influence that can result, but I also am leery about limiting the ability of folks to have their say. I'm rather middle of the road on this issue (though as I noted that's not what my posts were about that got Grin all worked up).
          I'm genuinely curious about whether you believe there is no difference between the parties on the issue of campaign contributions other than the strategic attempt to preserve their sources while eliminating their opponents'. My position is that while obviously big money infects both sides, the GOP is far more of a bigger culprit since its central project is about breaking down barriers for the concentration of wealth by both private individuals and corporations.

Liberals, at least, try to reverse the concentration of wealth which we regard as a grave danger to democracy. Conservatives* have no such reservations. So it stands to reason that there is a fundamental difference in the economic outcomes favored by each side. Do you disagree with this?

* Contemporary American conservatives, that is. Historically, conservatives viewed the concentration of wealth as morally and politically dangerous, since it provided leverage to upset traditional institutions and values. The great irony about Republicans is they have completely reversed field on the view of large corporations and corporate power from the views of the Founders who they otherwise so promote.
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You, and he, know full well what I meant. In hindsight I should have said barely a word, as I occasionally forget that people around here would rather nit-pick at wording than respond to substance. But, if we want to nit-pick, I was referencing the national media of course, so his reference to you doesn't count. See, that's a stupid argument that doesn't talk to substance, but we can both be silly that way if we want to.
            So... if somebody references a national media source using both the Kochs and Soros, you will admit defeat...?
            Last edited by Kepler; 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You, and he, know full well what I meant.
              I thought you meant that you don't see anyone complaining about the Koch Brothers without including George Soros. I don't why I thought that

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                I've always thought that one way to better control the influence of $$$ in politics would be to tax it. Set up a progressive tax on any money donated and/or spent on elections/issues. The more you donate/spend the greater the tax. Give $50 and pay zero. Give $500 and pay 20%. Put out a commercial for $200K and pay 50% tax. Hit em with a tax when it's donated and charge em again when they spend it. It'll never happen since the idiots who would make the law would be the ones hurt by it but it might help and would also bring in some income.
                You don't even need to go nearly that far, you can merely remove the current tax deduction one gets for contributions.

While ingenious, I don't think your proposed tax would pass muster with the SCOTUS. Removing the tax deduction on the other hand would not be problematic for them.

What really creeps me out is proposals from the New York Times and others that the government should license who has free speech rights and who doesn't, and this whole "movement" to modify the First Amendment.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

You apparently missed what I actually said in the post (as did Grin) when I said that to be precisely clear, I should have said barely. I know, it's funner nit-picking (though as I regularly say, you're a lot better than some of the hard lefties around here).
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I just referenced liberals, as that's what applies here.
                    Ok, so it wasn't because of the very type of bias you're taking issue with regarding big money contributors, got it.

Comment

You apparently missed what I actually said in the post (as did Grin) when I said that to be precisely clear, I should have said barely. I know, it's funner nit-picking (though as I regularly say, you're a lot better than some of the hard lefties around here).
                      Just don't bring up "how many angels on the head of a pin." Frederick Copleston and I have some very blunt thoughts concerning that.
                      Cornell University

Comment

I'm genuinely curious about whether you believe there is no difference between the parties on the issue of campaign contributions other than the strategic attempt to preserve their sources while eliminating their opponents'. My position is that while obviously big money infects both sides, the GOP is far more of a bigger culprit since its central project is about breaking down barriers for the concentration of wealth by both private individuals and corporations.
                        Hmm... yet factual news reports consistently show Democrats raising more money than Republicans. Left-wing "big money" donors contribute more to Democrats than right-wing "big money" donors contribute to Republicans, despite what Harry Reid says. When you look at lists of "big money" donors, the Koch brothers are not even in the top ten, despite the over-heated rhetoric to the contrary (several different public-sector unions are in the top ten, along with Steyer and I forget who else. Soros is not in the top ten either, btw).
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 09-25-2014, 09:59 AM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Ok, so it wasn't because of the very type of bias you're taking issue with regarding big money contributors, got it.
                          No more feeding the troll today.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Just don't bring up "how many angels on the head of a pin." Frederick Copleston and I have some very blunt thoughts concerning that.
                            And I was just about to say that there was nary a limit to how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. But, I'll let that one go, for now.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

No more feeding the troll today.
                              That's pretty weak.

Comment

That's pretty weak.
                                Try discussing substance and you'll get a different response. Nit-pickers are a dime a dozen around here.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X