X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Gay marriage. $1.5B cuts in defense spending. $700M tax hikes on the wealthy. PPACA. Dodd-Frank. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

We live in a center-left country. We have been for at least the last 22 years.
    Center-left electorate (in on year races). Center-right political establishment. $1.5B cuts in defense spending when $65.5B would be a good start. $700M tax hikes on the wealthy when $7T would be a good start. We've lived under the shadow of far right economic theory for so long that even center-right strides now look like "big gains." Give me 1955 tax brackets and Gini and then we'll talk about center-left politics.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      the larger problem of lifting the dead weight of the plutocratic parasite off our back is not going to get solved by the current party configuration. That's going to have to boil up from below, and it will probably be a populist movement that is as much right as left and brings with it as many problems as it solves.
      an apt summary of the original Tea Party, before it was co-opted by self-aggrandizing showboats.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I am picturing Kepler playing Graham Chapman, Rover playing Eric Idle, Bob as John Cleese.

Me? I'm the penguin on top of the telly.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          an apt summary of the original Tea Party, before it was co-opted by self-aggrandizing showboats.
          I agree with this. I had high hopes for the TP for about the first five minutes, before Glenn Beck and that crowd re-purposed it as a way to fleece herpa-derps of their cash.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I am picturing Kepler playing Graham Chapman
            It is humbling to realize that by the time Graham Chapman was my age he had been dead for 3 years.
            Cornell University

Comment

Center-left electorate (in on year races). Center-right political establishment. $1.5B cuts in defense spending when $65.5B would be a good start. $700M tax hikes on the wealthy when $7T would be a good start. We've lived under the shadow of far right economic theory for so long that even center-right strides now look like "big gains." Give me 1955 tax brackets and Gini and then we'll talk about center-left politics.
              Apologies, its $1.5T over 10 years for defense and $700B over 10 years for tax hikes on the rich...

Stupid letters.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I vote Dem because I want to see Dem policies in place, but the larger problem of lifting the dead weight of the plutocratic parasite off our back is not going to get solved by the current party configuration. That's going to have to boil up from below, and it will probably be a populist movement that is as much right as left and brings with it as many problems as it solves.
                The Tea Party and Occupy might have been that coalition, but the Tea Party got coöpted by the evangelical right and Occupy fizzled.

(Granted, even though they agreed in the broadest of strokes about the nature of the problem, they had pretty fundamental differences about how it ought to be solved, so there might not really have been the seeds of a coalition anyway...)
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Funny how those who complain the most about "money corrupting politics" have no problem whatsoever about accepting it!!

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has so far this cycle raised $111 million, or $30 million more than the National Republican Senatorial Committee. The DSCC has spent or reserved nearly $42 million for this fall in TV advertising—55% of it in Iowa, Colorado and North Carolina. The $23 million it will spend in those three key states—which could determine Senate control—is $4 million more than the NRSC will spend across the country.
                  I'm sure there is a great rationalization for the hypocrisy, though....
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Funny how those who complain the most about "money corrupting politics" have no problem whatsoever about accepting it!!

I'm sure there is a great rationalization for the hypocrisy, though....
                    Agreed. We never hear the end of complaining about the Koch Brothers, but nary a word about George Soros. People lose a lot of credibility when they can't see problems on both sides of the fence.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Agreed. We never hear the end of complaining about the Koch Brothers, but nary a word about George Soros. People lose a lot of credibility when they can't see problems on both sides of the fence.
                      Nary a word, indeed

Comment

Straw man argument. I have no problem with money in politics since most of it gets wasted anyway, and at some point you actually have to campaign to win the race. However if someone is voting for legislation to restrict these donations, but in the meantime has decided to play by the rules currently in place, that makes them pragmatic, not a hypocrite.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Straw man argument. I have no problem with money in politics since most of it gets wasted anyway, and at some point you actually have to campaign to win the race. However if someone is voting for legislation to restrict these donations, but in the meantime has decided to play by the rules currently in place, that makes them pragmatic, not a hypocrite.
                          Not at all. You are responding to something I didn't say. I'm just saying it people complain about the issue regarding one party, they should apply the same critical view to the same thing going on in their party of choice.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Assume each time I mention Koch I also mean Soros.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                              If that's the best you can do, you make my point for me.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Assume each time I mention Koch I also mean Soros.
                                Why not say Soros and the I'll assume you also mean Koch. It'd spice up your postings a good bit!
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X