This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I think "Democrat Governor" is legit, if not typical. It is perfectly fine to use one noun to describe another noun, for example, "The car door was open." Car and door are both nouns, and it's perfectly fine to string them together like that. If there's an adjective that will do instead, I tend to use it (e.g. female senator instead of woman senator), but either is correct in English.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Comment

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      I think "Democrat Governor" is legit, if not typical. It is perfectly fine to use one noun to describe another noun, for example, "The car door was open." Car and door are both nouns, and it's perfectly fine to string them together like that. If there's an adjective that will do instead, I tend to use it (e.g. female senator instead of woman senator), but either is correct in English.
      Sure. And McConnell is really a conservative. Word play is so much fun.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I prefer calling them Tories. Which means those who oppose them are Americans or Patriots. So I guess Democrats should just be called Americans from now on.
        Yeah, but they really hate being called knuckledraggers and besides, its a more fitting description.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          FF correctly used it as an epithet.

Does it show further emphasis of his/her massive bias? Yes.

Did he/she use it correct in a disparaging manner? Yes.
          Actually, in this particular case, no I did not. Look at the following, grammatically legitimate, sentence construction.

Is the Governor of that state a Democrat? or a Republican?

C'mon now FS, no one says, "the Governor of that state is a Democratic." to imply otherwise is really getting carried away with the partisan schtick, no?

Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar....
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            C'mon now FS, no one says, "the Governor of that state is a Democratic."
            Republican is both the adjective and the noun: The Republican Party. He is a Republican.

Democrat is the noun, Democratic is the adjective. The Democratic Party. He is a Democrat.

It's not the Democrat Party, just as no one says, "That state is run by a Republic governor," either.

It's a pejorative usage in the context in which you said it. Not a big one, but pejorative nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              It's a pejorative usage in the context in which you said it. Not a big one, but pejorative nonetheless
              It's not pejorative, but it nails FF as a Drudgey.

Not that his prior hundred posts didn't.

The puppets are adorable. I just hope Republican pay has improved.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                So then we can assume corporations can go to prison right? I mean if they are people they have to live under the same rules right? Shouldnt certain companies like say CitiGroup or any of the banks that committed fraud by foreclosing on houses without notice and before they had a right to, be locked up? I will hang up and listen.

Why do I have a feeling there will be some long winded answer as to why they shouldnt that wont actually answer my question...
                Why? Because fuck you.

Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                  It is only pejorative in your fevered imagination.

When I get pejorative, I talk about Dummycrats and Repugnicans. I am an equal opportunity maligner!

Y'all never seem to cope with your own blind spot. Someone who disparages career politicians does so regardless of party. Y'all seem to have a shared delusion that anyone who criticizes the sainted BO and his minions must necessarily support the "other side" and that is definitely a major error in your collective thinking. The enemy of my enemy can't be trusted either.
                  Last edited by FreshFish; 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I prefer the term "Governmental Douchebag". It keeps the grammar Nazis off my back and I'm able to utilize it correctly 99.9% of the time regardless of the letter behind the name.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      I prefer the term "Governmental Douchebag". It keeps the grammar Nazis off my back and I'm able to utilize it correctly 99.9% of the time regardless of the letter behind the name.
                      Use, not utilize.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        So then we can assume corporations can go to prison right? I mean if they are people they have to live under the same rules right? Shouldnt certain companies like say CitiGroup or any of the banks that committed fraud by foreclosing on houses without notice and before they had a right to, be locked up? I will hang up and listen.

Why do I have a feeling there will be some long winded answer as to why they shouldnt that wont actually answer my question...
                        There certainly can be criminal sanctions against a corporation, and they are frequently leveled.

Some posters on this board, and many people in this country, interpret the word "person" as used by the courts to literally mean a human being. That is not how the courts interpret the word "person." Instead, they essentially consider the word "person" to mean an entity. That entity might be a human being. It might be a corporation or a partnership.

For example, the 14th Amendment says "no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process..." Courts have consistently applied the term "person" in that context to include entities like corporations or partnerships. That's probably good. I don't necessarily want to live in a country where the government just comes in and seizes company assets without some sort of due process or just compensation.

So you guys can sit here and whine, and think you're being clever by asking questions like whether a corporation can go to prison, or will it go to heaven, or does it have a soul. But the application of the word "person" to entities like corporations is well established and isn't going to be changed.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          But the application of the word "person" to entities like corporations is well established and isn't going to be changed.
                          ...until one of the lame brains on the Court is replaced by someone with common sense....

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            ...until one of the lame brains on the Court is replaced by someone with common sense....
                            Keep winning elections and the problem takes care of itself.

The conservative majority on the Court didn't hatch out of Zeus' head, it was evangelized by a very particular set of fringe beliefs which are now dying away everywhere but in the TP fever swamps. For obvious reasons, the Court tends to lag a generation behind the rest of the country; Scalia scribbles screeds already long obsolete, but history will take care of him just as it did James Clark McReynolds.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Keep winning elections and the problem takes care of itself.

The conservative majority on the Court didn't hatch out of Zeus' head, it was evangelized by a very particular set of fringe beliefs which are now dying away everywhere but in the TP fever swamps. For obvious reasons, the Court tends to lag a generation behind the rest of the country; Scalia scribbles screeds already long obsolete, but history will take care of him just as it did James Clark McReynolds.
                              Scalia's probably going to live to be 95, and it will be amusing to see him get crazier and crazier with each passing year. I'm actually looking forward to reading some of his frothy legal rants over the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Scalia's probably going to live to be 95, and it will be amusing to see him get crazier and crazier with each passing year. I'm actually looking forward to reading some of his frothy legal rants over the coming years.
                                They're going to have to carry him out of there. And he definitely seems like the kind of guy who will live an extra 20 years just on pure orneriness.

If he ever does find himself in what appears to be permanent minority, he's going to let loose. He's always been a diva, but Nothing to Lose YOLO Angry Diva could be one of the greatest comic exhibitions of all time.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X