Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

    Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Many believe that the earth is older than 6000 yo and therefore have Christianity as a nonstarter. IMO the problem is not that they don't believe that 6000 is the age of the earth...problem is that they've already determined that there is only one version of Christianity. And they don't believe in it. To me, whether the Bible is literal or not is a non issue...read it once and you know what matters.
    To me problem is not the idea that if you read it once you know what matters, it's the idea that you will not know what matters unless you read it.

    Comment


    • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Each and every person at the Times has Constitutional rights, the Times does not.
      hmm...who am I going to believe, you? or my own eyes.


      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. [emphasis added]
      That seems pretty clear-cut to me: "the press" indeed does have a Constitutional right! How about that?




      Not only that, but people also have the right to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Hmm....isn't one manner in which people "assemble" to organize either as a union or as a corporation? seems likely. and they can "assemble" to "petition the Government" too, if my eyes are working correctly this morning. So unions, and corporations, have the right to petition the government.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

      "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

      "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

      "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

      Comment


      • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

        Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        hmm...who am I going to believe, you? or my own eyes.




        That seems pretty clear-cut to me: "the press" indeed does have a Constitutional right! How about that?




        Not only that, but people also have the right to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Hmm....isn't one manner in which people "assemble" to organize either as a union or as a corporation? seems likely. and they can "assemble" to "petition the Government" too, if my eyes are working correctly this morning. So unions, and corporations, have the right to petition the government.
        Then give me the same rights as a corporation.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

        Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Then give me the same rights as a corporation.
          I wish I could kill people indiscriminately, swindle them out of money, ruin their lives and only have to pay a paltry fine. Immortality would be nice too.

          Comment


          • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Then give me the same rights as a corporation.
            What rights do you think you're missing? Don't forget that we are guaranteed equal opportunity and equal treatment under the law - not equal outcomes.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

            Comment


            • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

              Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Many believe that the earth is older than 6000 yo and therefore have Christianity as a nonstarter.
              It's not Christianity that's a non-starter, it's the particular American evangelical version that is prevalent in politics that is a non-starter. When I hear people like my Godmother say, in all seriousness, that Obama is the anti-Christ, I tend to not give a flying fart about any of her remaining political opinions because she clearly cannot be reasoned with. Likewise when people say the Earth is only 6000 years old, they are not being rational and it will cast doubt on everything else they claim as fact.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                hmm...who am I going to believe, you? or my own eyes.




                That seems pretty clear-cut to me: "the press" indeed does have a Constitutional right! How about that?




                Not only that, but people also have the right to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Hmm....isn't one manner in which people "assemble" to organize either as a union or as a corporation? seems likely. and they can "assemble" to "petition the Government" too, if my eyes are working correctly this morning. So unions, and corporations, have the right to petition the government.
                The flesh and blood humans who work in the press have all those rights.

                Do you believe a corporation has a conscience? A soul? Can the corporation be jailed for crimes it commits?

                Comment


                • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                  Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  What rights do you think you're missing? Don't forget that we are guaranteed equal opportunity and equal treatment under the law - not equal outcomes.
                  Well, for one, the right to pay zero taxes (General Electric) and the right to declare myself a citizen of another country for the sole purpose of paying zero taxes (Mylan). Somehow I'm not afforded those rights. There's also the one about how if I get sued it's the corporation getting sued not me personally.

                  http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/eh...oney-snatchers
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                  Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                  Comment


                  • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                    So then we can assume corporations can go to prison right? I mean if they are people they have to live under the same rules right? Shouldnt certain companies like say CitiGroup or any of the banks that committed fraud by foreclosing on houses without notice and before they had a right to, be locked up? I will hang up and listen.

                    Why do I have a feeling there will be some long winded answer as to why they shouldnt that wont actually answer my question...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

                    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

                    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                    Comment


                    • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                      Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Do you believe a corporation has a conscience? A soul? Can the corporation be jailed for crimes it commits?

                      What do these non sequiters have to do with freedom of the press, or the right of people peacably to assemble to petition their government?


                      Are you suggesting that we need to repeal the First Amendment and replace it with something else?
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

                      "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

                      "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

                      "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

                      Comment


                      • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                        Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        What do these non sequiters have to do with freedom of the press, or the right of people peacably to assemble to petition their government?


                        Are you suggesting that we need to repeal the First Amendment and replace it with something else?
                        What part of Corporations only exist on paper don't you understand?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                        Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                        Comment


                        • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                          Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Likewise when people say the Earth is only 6000 years old, they are not being rational and it will cast doubt on everything else they claim as fact.
                          A literal interpretation of the Bible is a real problem. People completely ignore science because some book written before modern science even existed uses a bunch of stories to try to teach them a moral lesson. I am no longer religious, but I'm glad that when I was a kid my parents took me to Catholic church rather than some fundamentalist church. I clearly remember a priest saying during his homily that the story of Genesis was just a parable, the earth was not created in 6 days, etc.



                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVOonvm1qOg


                          If you truly believe the earth is only 6000 years old then you are a moron. There is no need to be tolerant of complete ignorance. Fundamentalist Christianity is hurting society.

                          Comment


                          • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                            Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            A literal interpretation of the Bible is a real problem. People completely ignore science because some book written before modern science even existed uses a bunch of stories to try to teach them a moral lesson. I am no longer religious, but I'm glad that when I was a kid my parents took me to Catholic church rather than some fundamentalist church. I clearly remember a priest saying during his homily that the story of Genesis was just a parable, the earth was not created in 6 days, etc.
                            Smart Priest. Sounds like one I would enjoy listening to.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                            Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Well, for one, the right to pay zero taxes (General Electric) and the right to declare myself a citizen of another country for the sole purpose of paying zero taxes (Mylan). Somehow I'm not afforded those rights. There's also the one about how if I get sued it's the corporation getting sued not me personally.

                              http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/eh...oney-snatchers
                              There is no "right" for anyone to pay zero (or any other amount of) taxes. That's simply an OUTCOME of the tax code that Congress has lawfully enacted. How did I just know you were going to screw that up?
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                              Comment


                              • Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Well, for one, the right to pay zero taxes (General Electric) and the right to declare myself a citizen of another country for the sole purpose of paying zero taxes (Mylan).
                                Tax wise, there things you can do. Please consult your tax adviser. And you can drop your US citizenship.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                                North Dakota Hockey:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X