X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Everyone stereotypes.
    Hey, that sounds like a stereot... Oh, I see what you did there.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Its not stereotyping if its true Bob, and since just about every con is an older while male Bush worshipin' lets-go-back-to-Iraq nutter, I think the shoe fits!
      Actually the shoe doesn't fit so well. You must be one of those pesky shoe salesman that tried to get a person to buy that ugly pair on clearance that doesn't fit, but they try to convince you they do. But, I know such stereotyping is convenient, and there are few things Americans like more than convenience.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Why do you give a crap what Chelsea Clinton does or is paid? This seems like an obsession with you.
        Clinton Derangement Syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          This would be another example of distilled libt*ardism. A tax cut for people superficially undeserving means they're going to "get" X number of dollars from the federal treasury.
          You mean like Mississippi does?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by freshfish View Post
            i'm sure you know, though probably would prefer to deny ….
            Originally posted by kepler View Post
            sigh. [total evasion].
            q.e.d.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              I'm still waiting for the first person who complains about "rich" people getting "richer" to demonstrate by their actions how they won't stand for it.

Who'll be the first to give up their smart phone and iPad, since they made Steve Jobs and his successors rich?

Who'll be the first to stop using Windows, since it made Bill Gates rich?

Who'll be the first to abandon air conditioning, since it made Willis Carrier and his heirs rich?

Who'll be the first to stop using elevators, since they made Elisha Otis and his heirs rich?

Who'll be the first to stop using steel, since it made Andrew Carnegie and his heirs rich?

These people became "rich" because their inventions made life so much better for EVERYONE. Would you rather we do without these inventions instead, because they led to such immense personal wealth for their inventors?
              I know there is no place for reason here, but I dont think that is what anyone is saying. How about instead of not buying iPad we'd rather see Apple products made in the USA, by americans being paid a decent wage. It would be alot more beneficial to the country to have a whole lot of people making $100k/year and a CEO making $5M/year than it is to have a whole bunch of people making $50k/yr and a CEO making $30M. If Wal-Mart made a similar cut to CEO pay, and took their dividend payout and instead used that money to increase employee pay it would give every employee something like an extra $3k/yr. The CEO is still rich, everyone else will immediately pump that $3k back in to the economy. I'm sure there are some who think that no one should be rich, but the vast majority just think the disparity has gone way too far and some sort of correction needs to happen.

To Bob's point that disparity has gotten worse under Obama, look no further than the stock market for why that is. 10% of the population own 85% of stocks, and the market has doubled. The completely ***** economy under Obama seems to have done pretty well for those who are fotunate enough to own stocks. Maybe instead of profits and dividends, employees should get a little more consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                Maybe instead of profits and dividends, employees should get a little more consideration.
                No. As is pretty easy to figure out by the math, employees get nothing, shareholders get it all.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Since this is a Supreme Court thread, I have a question about the economy.

When the current administration took over, it inherited an economy that had been driven off a cliff and was in a free fall without a parachute. We were mired in two wars, the worst of which was costing about 7-8 bil a month and our own VP, when he was secdef, predicted would turn into a quagmire.

What do Obama's harshest critics think the economy should be doing now, given where it was 6 years ago? What would _________have done to make that happen?

Oh, and when will UND win another banner?
                  Last edited by burd; 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

Oh, and when will UND win another banner?
                    Even the harshest critics of Obama can agree that he has done an exceptional job of keeping that atrocity at bay.

Although, the same could be said of Bush Jr.....
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                      Even the harshest critics of Obama can agree that he has done an exceptional job of keeping that atrocity at bay.

Although, the same could be said of Bush Jr.....
                      Must reluctantly spread . . .

Just received Mistakes Were Made, btw, and looking forward to the read.

You didn't say there were no pictures. It'll take a while.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        Must reluctantly spread . . .

Just received Mistakes Were Made, btw, and looking forward to the read.

You didn't say there were no pictures. It'll take a while.
                        Glad you picked it up! With any luck, you may give up your sinning ways and become a badger fan.

If you want one with pictures try this. http://www.amazon.com/How-Become-Rea.../dp/1616143975 Judging by typical posts, I think most of the posters here have already read excerpts.

Those two serve as exhibit A and exhibit B on why I am no longer invited to parties.

That and my totally healthy and natural hatred for Jenny McCarthy
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          No. As is pretty easy to figure out by the math, employees get nothing, shareholders get it all.
                          That's a load of bullshit. The company I work for has paid out hefty dividends longer than the Cubs' Series drought and the general happiness of the employees is high according to numerous internal surveys (and general feeling at work) as well as the stockholders. Or so I would hope given that you could set your watch to its growth. It's difficult to strike that kind of a balance but it's certainly possible.

I found utopia and it's located right off I-94.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It would be alot more beneficial to the country to have a whole lot of people making $100k/year and a CEO making $5M/year than it is to have a whole bunch of people making $50k/yr and a CEO making $30M. If Wal-Mart made a similar cut to CEO pay, and took their dividend payout and instead used that money to increase employee pay it would give every employee something like an extra $3k/yr. The CEO is still rich, everyone else will immediately pump that $3k back in to the economy. I'm sure there are some who think that no one should be rich, but the vast majority just think the disparity has gone way too far and some sort of correction needs to happen.
                            Funny enough, CEO compensation started to skyrocket compared to other employees after CEO cash earnings were capped at $1MM in 1994(? - might be a little later, like '98); that figure gets indexed to either CPI or a stated fixed rate of increase each year - I forget. The companies immediately started to reduce cash payments to the CEOs, but then in lieu of cash the CEOs then received stock options that had little or no impact to the enforced limits because it wasn't cash coming out of the companies' bank accounts. Once the CEO exercises his/her options, that's when the real money starts to come into play. In theory, it might dilute the value of each share of stock, that that's going to depend upon when they're issuing the options on treasury stock or not.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              That's a load of bullshit. The company I work for has paid out hefty dividends longer than the Cubs' Series drought and the general happiness of the employees is high according to numerous internal surveys (and general feeling at work) as well as the stockholders. Or so I would hope given that you could set your watch to its growth. It's difficult to strike that kind of a balance but it's certainly possible.

I found utopia and it's located right off I-94.
                              You're the exception, not the rule.

Comment

It would be alot more beneficial to the country to have a whole lot of people making $100k/year and a CEO making $5M/year than it is to have a whole bunch of people making $50k/yr and a CEO making $30M.
                                By "whole bunch," you apparently mean 500, since that would be how many $50K raises you could give out of the $25M pay cut you're proposing to the CEO. If you can show me a 501-person company where the CEO is taking home $30M, I'll eat my hat. Your math doesn't work.

If Wal-Mart made a similar cut to CEO pay, and took their dividend payout and instead used that money to increase employee pay it would give every employee something like an extra $3k/yr.
                                Now you're mixing dividend payouts with CEO pay - completely separate issues. But in any case, Walmart paid out ~$2 in dividends on 3.2B shares of stock = $6.4B. Divided among 2.2M employees, that does work out to $2900 per employee. But Walmart is an income stock (P/E of around 14). If they announced tomorrow that there were no more dividends, their share price would plummet so far so fast that the company, for all practical purposes, would be bankrupt and all 2.2M employees would be at risk of losing their jobs. Walmart is only able to provide those 2.2M jobs because of the capital investments made by their shareholders; without them, Walmart would be just another regional chain - at the time they went public in 1970, there were fewer than 50 stores. Or do you really have a business plan where you don't have to pay off your investors? If so, perhaps you, Messrs. Bialystock and Bloom, and I could use it to market the perpetual motion machine I just invented.

$3000 per employee is just one big number divided by another smaller number. Do you realize that if we divided the 7.5x10^18 grains of sand in the world among the 500M housecats, that would be 1.4 trillion grains per cat??? I mean, can you imagine???
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X