• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Over the years I've been following this board, the only poster I've ever seen change his politics as a result of these discussions was Old Pio, who recently said he would support Hillary if she runs.

Whether that has anything to do with Happy Acres adjusting his meds is an other question, but he's really been giving it to the boys of the Swollen Prostate Club.
    Kepler and I are on opposite sides of many things (including two college teams residing in NYS), yet both of us have an extreme dislike of Mrs. Clinton.

However, if there was a Republican Congress and Slick was really running things with the Mrs. out there just for show, then maybe (and it's a weak maybe).

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Over the years I've been following this board, the only poster I've ever seen change his politics as a result of these discussions was Old Pio, who recently said he would support Hillary if she runs.

Whether that has anything to do with Happy Acres adjusting his meds is an other question, but he's really been giving it to the boys of the Swollen Prostate Club.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure it is NOT the party that says, "be quiet, collect your check, don't ask for anything more, and remember to vote for us: that's our quid pro quo, we give you subsistence living, you keep us in office."

I merely said which party offers a greater opportunity of advancement: the one that cut taxes for the poor and middle class (if you care about factual accuracy, most of the "Bush tax cuts" actually went to lower- and middle income americans), one that says "there is too much government interference in your life holding you back", the one that says "economic growth is the highest priority"? Whether they actually care about it or not is one thing, whether that kind of platform would have an appeal to an ambitious poor person is another thing.

Some people (ahem) seem to think that there is a direct link between intelligence and income level. There are different kinds of intelligence: lots of "smart" people do really dumb things, and quite a few "average" people are pretty shrewd. Most people I know realize when they are being talked down to, and don't like it, even if they are "poor".
    So, they're improving their upward mobility by limiting the ability for unions to collectively bargain better wages, keeping their job opportunities limited to low wage, dead end jobs, slashing education budgets to deny them education, and depriving them of healthcare benefits and retirement benefits? Yup, really helping that upward mobility.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    FF,

If you honestly think either party is involved in the upward mobility of the average constituent then I want to know what drugs you're on cause I could use some.

Scooby
    Well, I'm pretty sure it is NOT the party that says, "be quiet, collect your check, don't ask for anything more, and remember to vote for us: that's our quid pro quo, we give you subsistence living, you keep us in office."

I merely said which party offers a greater opportunity of advancement: the one that cut taxes for the poor and middle class (if you care about factual accuracy, most of the "Bush tax cuts" actually went to lower- and middle income americans), one that says "there is too much government interference in your life holding you back", the one that says "economic growth is the highest priority"? Whether they actually care about it or not is one thing, whether that kind of platform would have an appeal to an ambitious poor person is another thing.

Some people (ahem) seem to think that there is a direct link between intelligence and income level. There are different kinds of intelligence: lots of "smart" people do really dumb things, and quite a few "average" people are pretty shrewd. Most people I know realize when they are being talked down to, and don't like it, even if they are "poor".
    Last edited by FreshFish; 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

FF,

If you honestly think either party is involved in the upward mobility of the average constituent then I want to know what drugs you're on cause I could use some.

Scooby

Leave a comment:

Working...
X