X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Federal judge rules that "disparate impact" theory of housing "discrimination" is not a part of the law as it is written:
    Who cares. SCOTUS is already scheduled to rule on this issue this term. In fact they've been chomping at the bit to do so, and only haven't previously because cases keep settling.
    Last edited by unofan; 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied
    Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Federal judge rules that "disparate impact" theory of housing "discrimination" is not a part of the law as it is written:

a federal judge tossed out [a HUD] regulation imposing “disparate impact” racial policy on housing....

Judge Richard Leon has ruled that the 1968 [Fair Housing] act “unambiguously prohibits only intentional discrimination” and thus the 2013 Housing and Urban Development rule violates the law.
    "disparate impact" says that, even if there is no evidence of willful discrimination, a statistical analysis of the results allows one to "infer" discrimination anyway.

Under the "disparate impact" theory, the NBA "discriminates" against white people, because on a proportionate basis, there are so few white basketball players on NBA teams relative to their prevalence in the population at large.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 11-04-2014, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Seriously. Perhaps joecct should have pm-ed *him*.
    Can't do that from an android. I'm rarely near a PC.

But you do make a good point.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    ????????

I'm not seeing the point of that comment. You're a catholic, your church has pedophiles working for it, too.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, tho.
    Seriously. Perhaps joecct should have pm-ed *him*.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If you really work for Kaplan, you had/have a known pedophile working for you in Florida. PM me for further info.
    ????????

I'm not seeing the point of that comment. You're a catholic, your church has pedophiles working for it, too.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, tho.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

If you really work for Kaplan, you had/have a known pedophile working for you in Florida. PM me for further info.
    Well, not many graduating law students are minors, and whoever attended that person's sessions probably received good instruction on criminal procedure.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied
    Interesting. With the Bar Prep division? Kaplan is a pretty big company.

FWIW, I'm a student rep (i.e. I try and get friends to sign up and in return I get a free bar prep course). I only know the reps at my school (DU) and the regional rep. Nobody works for me.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I'm a Kaplan rep, so no.

DU offers a "Bar Success" Program, and that is where we were taught that particular acronym.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Taken right out of BAR-BRI, I'd guess.
    I'm a Kaplan rep, so no.

DU offers a "Bar Success" Program, and that is where we were taught that particular acronym.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

I need to remember not to visit this page when studying for the bar.

To remember when res ipsa can be used as a shortcut for duty and breach when presenting a prima facie case for a negligence action, keep in mind that the acronym "TIP" needs to be met:

T - type of accident does not normally occur but for negligence
    I - instrumentality in exclusive possession of defendant
    P - plaintiff not at fault
    Taken right out of BAR-BRI, I'd guess.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    This must be one of those facts that you memorize for the test and then forget. It sure doesn't have anything to do most malpractice cases I've reviewed.
    It is an acronym that they teach us for bar prep to remember when to apply res ipsa as only 12% of test takers get the res ipsa multiple choice questions right on the MBE.

Leave a comment:

• busterman62
    replied

To remember when res ipsa can be used as a shortcut for duty and breach when presenting a prima facie case for a negligence action, keep in mind that the acronym "TIP" needs to be met:

This must be one of those facts that you memorize for the test and then forget. It sure doesn't have anything to do most malpractice cases I've reviewed.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I learned everything I know about Latin from Last Week Tonight's opening song.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Well, class, we had a nice discussion today. Tomorrow we will discuss labor ipse voluptas.

And don't forget to turn in your outlines.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X