X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I guess I disagree. They specifically tiptoed around that concept because they didn't want to rule on that. Only the case on hand. Either way though, it will come up again.
    I tend to agree with unofan. The Court just last term (Fisher) affirmed that Affirmative Action is okay, provided that it meets the proper strict scrutiny test. Given the issue and how controversial it is, they wouldn't have written the opinion in this way to show anything other than that Affirmative Action is still okay.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      they wouldn't have written the opinion in this way to show anything other than that Affirmative Action is still okay.
      Affirmative action was never "okay" and Scalia was scathingly clear on that point. It is clearly in black and white inconsistent with the 14th amendment.

The real problem is that the concept of affirmative action is based on a noble and admirable quality and no reasonable person could disagree with its stated goals. That is the problem that vexes the Court: not only is it well-intentioned, not only does it attempt to redress gross prior wrongs, today there also is a large embedded industry that relies on it for sustenance.

It is merely an inferior solution to a vexing problem. You do not end discrimination by engaging in reverse discrimination. There always has been a far better alternative available to address the problem and actually try to solve it in a realistic and practical manner. Affirmative action does not help those it purports to help while it also harms those who had no role in the original problem.

Today's college students were all born 25 to 30 years after the Civil Rights Act was passed. How come they are still paying for mistakes made by their great-grandparents?

Even O'Connor wanted to end affirmative action in 25 years from the [not sure of date] case. Eventually if it is working there should be no more need for it.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I was in an accident but was wearing my seat belt and it saved my life. It worked. Guess I don't have to wear my seat belt anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I was in an accident but was wearing my seat belt and it saved my life. It worked. Guess I don't have to wear my seat belt anymore.
          Feeling simplistic this morning, are we?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Scalia and Breyer usually flip on criminal cases. I understand why Scalia does, I've never understood why Breyer does.

Alito is the biggest cop *** kisser on the bench. I still have yet to see him side with a criminal defendant. There have been a few 8-1 decisions with him as the lone dissenter in criminal cases.
            Do the justices talk with one another about the vote before it's official placed? I only ask because if it looks like there will be a 9-0 decision, has Alito offerred to cast a dissenting vote in order to write an opinion on the matter? I don't know much about the guy other than he was appointed by Bush.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

When doesn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Do the justices talk with one another about the vote before it's official placed? I only ask because if it looks like there will be a 9-0 decision, has Alito offerred to cast a dissenting vote in order to write an opinion on the matter? I don't know much about the guy other than he was appointed by Bush.
                Alito could always write a concurring opinion if he actually agreed with the result, but not the opinion itself.

And yes, the Justices definitely talk to one another before the opinion comes out.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

When talking to people in these threads I find the simple approach works much better than a prolonged dissertation on the matter at hand.

Comment

When talking to people in these threads I find the simple approach works much better than a prolonged dissertation on the matter at hand.
                    I get where you're coming from re: simplicity, but that analogy was just stupid. Car accidents are random, nearly completely independent events. For your analogy to work, we'd have to live in a society that was randomly in danger of slipping back into slavery, segregation, and Jim Crow at any time but for the "safety belt" that affirmative action provides. Not your best effort.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Point taken.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        I get where you're coming from re: simplicity, but that analogy was just stupid. Car accidents are random, nearly completely independent events. For your analogy to work, we'd have to live in a society that was randomly in danger of slipping back into slavery, segregation, and Jim Crow at any time but for the "safety belt" that affirmative action provides. Not your best effort.
                        Without the protection of the Civil Rights Act (which we're slowly chipping away at) yes, quite a few states would slip back to Jim Crow status.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Affirmative action was never "okay" and Scalia was scathingly clear on that point. It is clearly in black and white inconsistent with the 14th amendment.
                          Scalia doesn't like it, but he recognizes it's the law, however begrudgingly.

Does the Equal Protection Clause forbid a state from banning a practice that the clause barely - and only provisionally - permits?
                          That's directly from Scalia's concurrence. He acknowledges it is permitted, if only barely.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Your guess is as good as mine as to what they discuss in conference. But historically, lone dissents are based on strongly held personal beliefs about the law, not token votes for the other side.

Alito is a former u.s. attorney, assistant ag, and assistant solicitor general before going to the bench.

Comment

Without the protection of the Civil Rights Act (which we're slowly chipping away at) yes, quite a few states would slip back to Jim Crow status.
                              and you have data to support this??

It really sounds like you are the one displaying unfounded prejudice against people you don't know and have never met!

Don't forget, the state that shows the highest level of "discrimination" in voting patterns is Massachusetts.

The most virulant and nasty discrimination I hear and see are mostly anti-Semitic. Jews are still the most convenient scapegoats and whipping boys. Anti-Semitism these days is far more severe and way way more widespread than racial animus, by far.

I seriously doubt there is much "racial" prejudice these days. The ethnic prejudices I see and hear expressed are directed more at Hispanics, not blacks.
                              Last edited by FreshFish; 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                and you have data to support this??
                                Well, the whole Clive Bundy thing doesn't really help your argument right now....
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X