X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Priceless is a board moderator? Egads! What has become of thee, USCHO?
    Have been for almost three years. See how drastically things have changed?

Comment

As I said before, both Hobby and Conestoga currently provide birth control to their employees. What both companies objected to was the inclusion of abortificants to their health coverage as both hold that life is sacred from the moment of conception.

So, like it or not, chemically induced abortion is back in the courts. Maybe Kepler (?) was right. Eventually it could be contraception sí and abortion no.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The wailing has begun!

Good to see the liberal court show a little restraint here and there.
        In the long run, this decision is good for liberals. In an off-year the biggest driver of turnout is fear. Just like the 2010 cycle belonged to the right because of Obamacare, the 2014 cycle just lurched left. The Dems could not have asked for a better issue to split the gender wedge if they wanted to.

By "liberal court" you must mean liberal compared to you. If that's the standard, then I would call the Warren Court a conservative court.

This decision is bad precedent, but it's more a dying gasp than an opening salvo. The rump right's days are numbered demographically, and with the Dem nominee beating the GOP nominee in popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections and the GOP's rightward drift only accelerating, it is only a matter of time before either the GOP abandons the far right or the Court flips back to the center, and then to the left. One more general win will complete the liberal generational turnover: Souter (39) --> Sotomayor (54), Stevens (20) --> Kagan (60), Ginsburg (33) --> x (60s), Breyer (38) --> y (60s). Kennedy will retire within the decade and then all those 5-4s are going the other way. Scalia could live to be 100 and do nothing but write progressively more unhinged dissents for his final 20 years.
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          As I said before, both Hobby and Conestoga currently provide birth control to their employees. What both companies objected to was the inclusion of abortificants to their health coverage as both hold that life is sacred from the moment of conception.

So, like it or not, chemically induced abortion is back in the courts. Maybe Kepler (?) was right. Eventually it could be contraception sí and abortion no.
          SCOTUS made no such distinction and repeatedly referred to contraception throughout its opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Maybe Kepler (?) was right. Eventually it could be contraception sí and abortion no.
            That was me. The key to that prediction is the pharma tech. Once white middle class teenagers have foolproof contraception, this goes away. You can ban buggy whips the moment there are cars.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Have been for almost three years. See how drastically things have changed?
              Just another sign of the apocalypse I guess.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                In the long run, this decision is good for liberals. In an off-year the biggest driver of turnout is fear. Just like the 2010 cycle belonged to the right because of Obamacare, the 2014 cycle just lurched left. The Dems could not have asked for a better issue to split the gender wedge if they wanted to.

By "liberal court" you must mean liberal compared to you. If that's the standard, then I would call the Warren Court a conservative court.

This decision is bad precedent, but it's more a dying gasp than an opening salvo. The rump right's days are numbered demographically, and with the Dem nominee beating the GOP nominee in popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections and the GOP's rightward drift only accelerating, it is only a matter of time before either the GOP abandons the far right or the Court flips back to the center, and then to the left. One more general win will complete the liberal generational turnover: Souter (39) --> Sotomayor (54), Stevens (20) --> Kagan (60), Ginsburg (33) --> x (60s), Breyer (38) --> y (60s). Kennedy will retire within the decade and then all those 5-4s are going the other way. Scalia could live to be 100 and do nothing but write progressively more unhinged dissents for his final 20 years.
                Just saying liberal, as the court has done a lot of good stuff on the liberal side of things (and some the other way), and all I hear is about how conservative the court is, which is simply hogwash. I'm sure the Dems will try to make this an election issue, as scare tactics, however irrational and unfounded, can and often do work.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  SCOTUS made no such distinction and repeatedly referred to contraception throughout its opinions.
                  True, but this case never would have happened if the government had not included abortificants on their list of approved contraception drugs.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    True, but this case never would have happened if the government had not included abortificants on their list of approved contraception drugs.
                    Some version of it would have. Maybe not Hobby Lobby but a lot of cons still are fighting the notion of birth control.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm sure the Dems will try to make this an election issue, as scare tactics, however irrational and unfounded, can and often do work.
                      They can, and they do. The Usual Suspects have been running on "these gol'durned activist judges!!!1!!" for 30 years. Then they immediately plunged into their own radical judicial activism as soon as they had the keys. They are originalist when it suits them and activist when it suits them. And although they are hypocritical, at the end of the day they're doing exactly what Louis Brandeis said a SCOTUS justice not only should but can't avoid doing. So for Scalia and his henchmen, bad process but good (for them and weirdly, by the principle that elections have consequences, us) result.

As with science or economics, 99% of the people who yell about the law are 99% ignorant and can easily be whipped into a frenzy. By the goose/gander principle, it was inevitable that this strategy would boomerang against Movement Conservatism. The reaction that buries them is going to be every bit as idiotic and dishonest as the flag-waving, genuflecting in favor of them was.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Some version of it would have. Maybe not Hobby Lobby but a lot of cons still are fighting the notion of birth control.
                        Some-not many. Some would object to birth control if it's being used to undertake an unhealthy lifestyle. Other would applaud it.

Oh and this from Reuters.
                        Reuters Top News********✔ @Reuters
                        Follow
                        #BREAKING: White House will consider whether president can act on his own to mitigate effect of Supreme Court contraception ruling
                        12:49 PM - 30 Jun 2014

When will he ever learn?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Good Lord Bob. That's hardly an obscure cultural reference.
                          Bob doesn't get references from movies after the 1950's.

Comment

Dems should absolutely use this. Why not? Two decisions have gone against women in the last week. My guess is the ladies aren't going to take that lightly, and since they can't take it out on the SCOTUS, conservative politicians are the next best thing!
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Seems like a rather inappropriate troll for a board moderator, if I do say so myself.
                              I wasn't trolling, just being logical. The only reason to have sex is to produce children. He doesn't have lots of kids, so it must follow that he isn't having sex. Why is it OK to discuss women's sexual activity but not Bob's?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                My guess is the ladies aren't going to take that lightly
                                Any excuse, any time.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X