This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    What case is that? I thought that the ruling today was whether the owners of closely-held companies had the right not to be forced to act against their religious beliefs? There is nothing in that case at all about the owners of a company dictating anything to his employees, nothing at all. The owner of the company even agreed to pay for contraceptives for his employees. What is so objectionable about that?
    The ruling today is that the government has a compelling interest in ensuring women's reproductive health, but 5 justices said the ACA mandate violated the RFRA because it is not the least restrictive means of doing so. 4 of those 5 declined to say what the least restrictive means would be, but Justice Kennedy basically said the government could pay for it itself.

The four dissenters argued the RFRA was never meant to apply to comprehensive schemes like this, and the courts should not be making decisions on which conditions the government should be picking up the tabs (contraception vs transfusions or vaccines, for instance, or why tax schemes do not violate the RFRA but the ACA does).

All nine justices recognized the conflict between the owners rights vs the employees rights.

Comment

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Why? This seems arbitrary.
      Note: I've not read the opinion, and basing this sumary strictly upon discussions I've read and heard in the days/weeks leading up to the decision.

It was the basis of the case, Hobby Lobby arguing that since it's a closely held corp, and was founded using language stating that it would uphold the Christian beliefs of its owners, that it should not be compelled to provide monetary benefits towards what they considered abortion related services. A corporation such as GM has millions of stockholders, as you know, and therefore would be logistically impossible to find a consensus between the many owners on a topic such as this.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
        I'm not about P.O.ing anyone, just sticking to my values, that's all. If those aren't popular with the electorate, well, there's worse things. I realize that's a rather antiquated way of approaching things, but there's more to life than finding out what is popular and then changing yourself to match that.
        So I'm assuming you have 12-15 kids then since you don't practice birth control?

PS - Some people thought denying blacks the right to vote was sticking to their values as well. While I'm not saying that's you, what I am saying is some "values" become antiquated over time.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Note: I've not read the opinion, and basing this sumary strictly upon discussions I've read and heard in the days/weeks leading up to the decision.

It was the basis of the case, Hobby Lobby arguing that since it's a closely held corp, and was founded using language stating that it would uphold the Christian beliefs of its owners, that it should not be compelled to provide monetary benefits towards what they considered abortion related services. A corporation such as GM has millions of stockholders, as you know, and therefore would be logistically impossible to find a consensus between the many owners on a topic such as this.

From what I can tell the IRS defines a closely held corp as being owned by 5 or less people or something to that effect.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            So I'm assuming you have 12-15 kids then since you don't practice birth control?

PS - Some people thought denying blacks the right to vote was sticking to their values as well. While I'm not saying that's you, what I am saying is some "values" become antiquated over time.
            Your assumptions about my personal life are just that, and not very accurate I must say.

Yah, freedom from the government dictating everything in our lives is becoming an antiquated notion, you're right.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              No, he just never has sex.

Comment

Yah, freedom from the government dictating everything in our lives is becoming an antiquated notion, you're right.
                "everything"?

When you turned 18, did you have to register with selective service? You should be opposed to that too, since it's the government telling you what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  No, he just never has sex.
                  Classy as always, eh?
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Classy as always, eh?
                    Just like San Diego!

Comment

If I'm reading this opinion correctly, if the RFRA is amended to dump the exemption for non-profits, this ruling is effectively rendered null, correct? The opinion makes it quite clear early on that you can't distinguish between a non-profit and a for-profit company.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Just like San Diego!
                        San Diego is an ok town I guess. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Must be referring to some silly thing you kiddos are into?
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          If I'm reading this opinion correctly, if the RFRA is amended to dump the exemption for non-profits, this ruling is effectively rendered null, correct? The opinion makes it quite clear early on that you can't distinguish between a non-profit and a for-profit company.
                          Not really. They'd find another way to reach the same decision.

The key point is Kennedy's concurrence, since it signals when he would change his vote and join the liberal wing. The money quote:

Yet neither may that same exercise unduly restrict other persons, such as employees, in protecting their own interests, interests the law deems compelling. In these cases the means to reconcile those two priorities are at hand in the existing accommodation the Govern*ment has designed, identified, and used for circumstancesclosely parallel to those presented here. RFRA requires the Government to use this less restrictive means.
                          Last edited by unofan; 06-30-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            San Diego is an ok town I guess. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Must be referring to some silly thing you kiddos are into?
                            Good Lord Bob. That's hardly an obscure cultural reference.

Comment

Classy as always, eh?
                              Seems like a rather inappropriate troll for a board moderator, if I do say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Seems like a rather inappropriate troll for a board moderator, if I do say so myself.
                                Priceless is a board moderator? Egads! What has become of thee, USCHO?
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X