X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Recess appointments must be made during an actual recess. That must have been a tough one.

Comment

As a raging smug liberal I don't have a big issue with these decisions. Dems did use that stupid trick to keep the Senate in recess so what's good for the goose and all that....

I couldn't tell you why 15 feet is okay but 35 is not for a circle away from an abortion clinic, but you would theoretically have to pick some distance to go with.

Both of these decisions were unanimous which gives me some comfort that ideological BS wasn't driving the bus.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Any idea on how many NLRB rulings are invalidated by this decision? Certainly the ruling in Canning is out.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          As a raging smug liberal I don't have a big issue with these decisions. Dems did use that stupid trick to keep the Senate in recess so what's good for the goose and all that....

I couldn't tell you why 15 feet is okay but 35 is not for a circle away from an abortion clinic, but you would theoretically have to pick some distance to go with.

Both of these decisions were unanimous which gives me some comfort that ideological BS wasn't driving the bus.
          They were unanimous in judgement, but not scope. That's why Scalia was throwing a hissy fit. On recess appointments, he and the other members of the right wing wanted to create a rule that the vacancy itself had to arise during a recess, effectively neutering the power. They were only one vote short of doing that. He read a 7 page statement from the bench to explain why in his usual bombastic self. He treated it as a dissent on the bigger issue, even though it was a concurrence in the particular outcome.

Likewise, the concurrences on the abortion case really wanted to stick it to mass since it involved abortions. Don't think he read that one from the bench, though.
          Last edited by unofan; 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

These endless recess over positions is going to turn us into Belgium, aren't they?
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

I'm fine with the first decision. Recess appointments seems like a petty (and obvious) violation of the separation of powers -- the goose/gander rule dictates they be stopped.

I just don't know enough about the second ruling. On the one hand, speech protection is important. On the other, sometimes (as in this case) "speech" is just a cover for harassment.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Any idea on how many NLRB rulings are invalidated by this decision? Certainly the ruling in Canning is out.
                What's the point? Now that these people have been confirmed they'll just re-affirm the decisions.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

7-11 1 Nanny Bloomberg 0
                  http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3651577
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

God I ****ing hate Bloomberg. He's a hypocrite of the absolute worst kind.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I just don't know enough about the second ruling. On the one hand, speech protection is important. On the other, sometimes (as in this case) "speech" is just a cover for harassment.
                      I think the Westboro Baptist Church idiots were protected by the court, so I guess there is no surprise on this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        The number that I saw at one point was 1718 decisions. But I also think the issue is more complicated than a sizable batch of void decisions. I think the NLRB does other things like issues injunctions, makes rules, etc..., all of which are now called into question.

I'm also not so sure that it will be as simple as expected in RoverWorld where the now lawfully appointed Commissioners simply rubber stamp the 1718 decisions and move on. IIRC, some of the recess appointments stayed on and have been lawfully appointed. However others have moved on to other positions. Thus, the present Board consists of a number of members who played no role or part in many of the 1718 decisions. I expect that means they basically have to start over on those.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Aereo self terminated at 11:30 this morning.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Aereo self terminated at 11:30 this morning.
                            Any chance Hobby Lobby does the same later this morning?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I would guess the possibility exists - which will be a great help for the employees of the company.

One of my wife's clients is a small company and the owner is a devout Catholic. They employ mostly immigrants who have good dexterity but no other real skills for assembly jobs. He has always been very generous to his staff, had great health care for such a small company and unskilled labor force. When ACA took effect he joined a lawsuit but eventually simply dropped the healthcare plan and gave everyone a raise equal to what he had been paying for the plan. He had his brokers try to help people find coverage. Had his company been large enough to be required to provide a health care plan I'm not sure what he would have done. My guess would be to outsource assembly overseas or sell out to larger firm who then would have sent the assembly overseas. All of that would have been a great boon to the staff - as they went on unemployment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Remember the issue is can the government compel behavior that defies an owner's religious beliefs.

Which ever way it goes, it's going to be 5 - 4. And, if the majority opinion wrangles in the 14th Amendment, a can of worms gets opened.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X