Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Giants ride mammoths. Awesome.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Look Samwise! Your oliphaunts!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Look Samwise! Your oliphaunts!
        So I wasn't the only one thinking that, then.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          So I wasn't the only one thinking that, then.
          Shout outs abound! Last week was clearly a reference to "Princess Bride" and tonight to LOTR. There was another shout out to PB tonight, when one of the characters said, "Giants? I don't think they exist." Just like rodents of unusual size...

Comment

The music during this episode was pretty much the Inception soundtrack. Didn't bother me though, it was time for a big battle episode.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

It really does seem like a waste of several good Night's Watch characters that should still be alive from the books.

All because the show has never really bothered to extend the cast in that setting. So now we know, what... three characters in the Nights Watch?
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                It really does seem like a waste of several good Night's Watch characters that should still be alive from the books.

All because the show has never really bothered to extend the cast in that setting. So now we know, what... three characters in the Nights Watch?
                I think it was unavoidable. They had to kill off characters that we know from the TV show, it wouldn't have had any impact on the audience if they didn't. And they didn't have the time to previously expand on other characters there...they would have had to cut some other storyline or add more episodes. I just chalk it up to a necessary evil that happens when you go from a written format to on-screen.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I think it was unavoidable. They had to kill off characters that we know from the TV show, it wouldn't have had any impact on the audience if they didn't. And they didn't have the time to previously expand on other characters there...they would have had to cut some other storyline or add more episodes. I just chalk it up to a necessary evil that happens when you go from a written format to on-screen.
                  More the time restrictions of the 10-episode season than the on-screen medium itself, but it's a fair point. I will still counter that we've spent so little time at the wall (or beyond it) in the past two seasons that it does make one wonder why there wasn't more time devoted to this storyline. The only way to give last night's episode any stakes was to kill off characters, or just coast off of how impressive the battle was, but since the Night's Watch storyline is so sparsely developed we don't have much left up there. For now.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    More the time restrictions of the 10-episode season than the on-screen medium itself, but it's a fair point. I will still counter that we've spent so little time at the wall (or beyond it) in the past two seasons that it does make one wonder why there wasn't more time devoted to this storyline. The only way to give last night's episode any stakes was to kill off characters, or just coast off of how impressive the battle was, but since the Night's Watch storyline is so sparsely developed we don't have much left up there. For now.
                    Speaking of which: no Stannis up there? Will that be next week, in addition to everything else? Or will it just not happen?(end spoilers)
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

I was waiting for that too jmh, I assume next week.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Here's a fun gif from the battle for you: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...8igeq1wdow.gif

@jmh: I've got to figure that tidbit is coming next week.

What I expect to come next week, based on what I've seen so far (book spoilers):

Team Hodor discovers the three-eyed crow.
                        Assorted fallout from Tyrion's trial (status of The Mountain, Tyrion's break-out, Tywin does not poo gold, etc.)
                        Arya and The Hound have one more little encounter, Arya leaves The Hound for dead and leaves on a boat for Braavos
                        Mance offers Jon Snow Winterfell, Stannis spoils the party
                        Dany's dragons cause more problems, and she has to chain them up
                        I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE Lady Stoneheart

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Here's a fun gif from the battle for you: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...8igeq1wdow.gif

@jmh: I've got to figure that tidbit is coming next week.

What I expect to come next week, based on what I've seen so far (book spoilers):

Team Hodor discovers the three-eyed crow.
                          Assorted fallout from Tyrion's trial (status of The Mountain, Tyrion's break-out, Tywin does not poo gold, etc.)
                          Arya and The Hound have one more little encounter, Arya leaves The Hound for dead and leaves on a boat for Braavos
                          Mance offers Jon Snow Winterfell, Stannis spoils the party
                          Dany's dragons cause more problems, and she has to chain them up
                          I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE Lady Stoneheart
                          Haven't read the books, and this is merely speculation, so no real spoilers:
                          Based on the cryptic entry in the episode guide I would almost guess Tyrion chooses his own way out to deny his sister the pleasure of watching him be executed. The guide reads "Tyrion comes to grips with his situation." Of course, if he lives in the books, that would ruin that theory...

Where is Arya? Last we saw of her she was laughing at the fact her aunt died. Wouldn't the Hound ask to speak to whomever was Lord of the Vale, assuming they'd be a relative of Arya and pay him the ransom? Would they really just up and leave after journeying all that way? Are we going to get to hear Arya recite her new prayer - one assumes without the Hound at the end?

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Haven't read the books, and this is merely speculation, so no real spoilers:
                            Based on the cryptic entry in the episode guide I would almost guess Tyrion chooses his own way out to deny his sister the pleasure of watching him be executed. The guide reads "Tyrion comes to grips with his situation." Of course, if he lives in the books, that would ruin that theory...

Where is Arya? Last we saw of her she was laughing at the fact her aunt died. Wouldn't the Hound ask to speak to whomever was Lord of the Vale, assuming they'd be a relative of Arya and pay him the ransom? Would they really just up and leave after journeying all that way? Are we going to get to hear Arya recite her new prayer - one assumes without the Hound at the end?
                            Arya's story is changed enough from the book that can only say where she ends up and I have only a vague idea how she gets there
                            Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Arya having fun yet?

Comment

HBO2 is airing all of season four leading up to tonight's season finale. Marathon starts at 1130am.

Comment

Working...
                                X