Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Arya's reaction to her aunt's death was pretty amusing.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Arya's reaction to her aunt's death was pretty amusing.
      And the Hound-Arya storyline lives on!
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        And the Hound-Arya storyline lives on!
        Although that "fleabite" as The Hound calls it seems a little ominous.

Jorah being sent away from Mareen is a cool development. I wonder if he goes back to Westeros now...his enemies there are dead, maybe he goes back to the north?
        Too bad - I have to quit admiring the characters.
        Something about Jorah Mormont nagged at me though, so I had to go way back in the book (edit: Game of Thrones) to when Ned either left for King's Landing or had recently arrived; Ned bristled when Jorah's name was mentioned - and there it was with the words "awaiting a royal pardon" to return to Westeros, for his petty betrayal for personal monetary gain. The poison wine thing seemed a tad set-up too, in hindsight. It will be incredibly interesting to see who he aligns with on his return - if he makes it back across the Narrow Sea alive. Perhaps he really does love Dany and aims to prove himself in the end.
        Last edited by owslachief; 06-02-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          Too bad - I have to quit admiring the characters.
          Something about Jorah Mormont nagged at me though, so I had to go way back in the book (edit: Game of Thrones) to when Ned either left for King's Landing or had recently arrived; Ned bristled when Jorah's name was mentioned - and there is was with the words "awaiting a royal pardon" to return to Westeros, for his petty betrayal for personal monetary gain. The poison wine thing seemed a tad set-up too, in hindsight. It will be incredibly interesting to see who he aligns with on his return - if he makes it back across the Narrow Sea alive. Perhaps he really does love Dany and aims to prove himself in the end.
          Maybe he challenges the Boltons for the north? Then he would be aligning himself against the Lannisters. But I doubt he'd join forces with the other players (Stannis, The Vale ie:Littlefinger, etc)
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Maybe he challenges the Boltons for the north? Then he would be aligning himself against the Lannisters. But I doubt he'd join forces with the other players (Stannis, The Vale ie:Littlefinger, etc)
            It seems almost like a mortal lock that Little Finger would use Lord Rob as a puppet lord, as an attempt to gain control of the Realm that way. He already has Harrenhall and its lands, add the Vale to that, and if he weds Sansa he has a claim on the North (through likely fealty of lords that were faithful to the Starks for so many hundreds/thousands of years) as nobody really knows that Bran and Rickon are both alive. Now that Casterly Rock has run low on funds, and High Garden switches alliegances like the wind changes direction, he'll see very few great hindrances to taking power of Westeros. Stannis is likely still an afterthought to him, not knowing about Stannis's Iron Bank backing yet.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

St. Clown hits all the right notes, it seems.

One thing I'm curious about: Does Varys have a hand in this "pardon"? Barristan delivers the news that "Robert Baratheon" has pardoned him. But why would this be engineered by Tywin if there is potential that he (Jorah) can do the Lannisters harm? If not, what is Varys' aim? Unless I missed something, it seems that nobody in Dany's inner circle knows current events at the Red Keep. And as far as the small council are concerned, Mormont is no longer useful because they've given him up as "fully devoted" to the Targaryen princess. So ... who really sent the pardon ... and when?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                St. Clown hits all the right notes, it seems.

One thing I'm curious about: Does Varys have a hand in this "pardon"? Barristan delivers the news that "Robert Baratheon" has pardoned him. But why would this be engineered by Tywin if there is potential that he (Jorah) can do the Lannisters harm? If not, what is Varys' aim? Unless I missed something, it seems that nobody in Dany's inner circle knows current events at the Red Keep. And as far as the small council are concerned, Mormont is no longer useful because they've given him up as "fully devoted" to the Targaryen princess. So ... who really sent the pardon ... and when?
                I thought that earlier this season there was a scene where the small council talked about Daenerys and her dragons, and decided that something must be done. I remember Varys saying that he had some strings he could pull, or something like that. My thought was that Varys made up the pardon as a forgery and sent it to Barristan Selmy, as a way to create a rift in Dany's council, and separate her from one of her top advisors.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I thought that earlier this season there was a scene where the small council talked about Daenerys and her dragons, and decided that something must be done. I remember Varys saying that he had some strings he could pull, or something like that. My thought was that Varys made up the pardon as a forgery and sent it to Barristan Selmy, as a way to create a rift in Dany's council, and separate her from one of her top advisors.
                  Makes a lot of sense. I suppose now it comes to it, even the Lannisters would consider Ser Jorah less of a threat than a united Daenerys / Selmy / Mormont front continuing. So Tywin could have pressed the seal. Small council already knows there's a little doubling back going on with Daenerys and this would further disrupt things, as she loses the trusted general.

Comment

I'll have to re-read the chapter in question, as well as perhaps bring this question to the Westeros.org forums, but actually seeing the fight between The Red Viper v. The Mountain made me think of something:

I still really like the symbolism of Oberyn's search for vengeance coming to a head and being suddenly taken away by being careless in his rage. But now having watched it unfold on screen more or less how it was described in the books is making me feel like it really is a stretch that Oberyn would've been that careless around Ser Gregor. It's making me feel like how the fight ended was the result of the kind of stupidity normally reserved for horror movies (and the Starks).

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        I'll have to re-read the chapter in question, as well as perhaps bring this question to the Westeros.org forums, but actually seeing the fight between The Red Viper v. The Mountain made me think of something:

I still really like the symbolism of Oberyn's search for vengeance coming to a head and being suddenly taken away by being careless in his rage. But now having watched it unfold on screen more or less how it was described in the books is making me feel like it really is a stretch that Oberyn would've been that careless around Ser Gregor. It's making me feel like how the fight ended was the result of the kind of stupidity normally reserved for horror movies (and the Starks).
                        The desire for vengeance can often cloud your better judgement. Which is why, if you get them down, you make sure they stay down.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I don't know if Tyrion survives or dies in the next episode or two, but if he dies this show will become much less interesting. At the same time, he really hasn't received all that much screen time this season, though his plot line has fueled much of the action.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I don't know if Tyrion survives or dies in the next episode or two, but if he dies this show will become much less interesting. At the same time, he really hasn't received all that much screen time this season, though his plot line has fueled much of the action.
                            Regardless of what happens to Tyrion in the next few episodes, it's sure to be memorable.

Comment

Finally caught up. Managed to avoid spoilers for the battle between The Mountain and Oberyn. I knew Oberyn was toast right from when he did all the flashy crap at the beginning, and REALLY knew it when he didn't just kill him when he got him down. I figured he would die before the episode started, but that was just because I kind of liked him. How The Hound has made it this long is beyond me.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

A rather amusing "How it should've ended" for last week's cliffhanger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

Comment

Working...
                                X