Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Right. This puts Tywin in a tough situation, he won't want Jaime to be killed for all of the reasons you say. I wonder if Tywin would even expect Jaime to stand for Tyrion...This is the way for Tyrion to get out of it completely.
    Whatever Tywin's motivations or expectations, there's no getting around the Laws of Gods and Men - that Cersei stands as the accuser. She gets to decide who will be her champion - she gets that Jaime is very sympathetic to Tirion (he's ready to rule at Casterly Rock as part of the original deal to save Tirion's life - something he was unwilling to do earlier), and Tirion is the one person in the Seven Kingdoms she despises the most. So she'd rather sacrifice whoever she can, and will take no chances when picking a champion. She only really loves / loved her children. Bron or Jaime for the accused? Possibilities. Also one guy has defeated Ser Gregor to date (Loras Tyrell).
    Last edited by owslachief; 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      You know, if Tywin did call the Mountain in as a champion for the Crown, it might be a setup to give Prince Oberyn the chance to kill him in single combat, acting as Tyrion's champion. Just a thought, but it seems like a long one to me.
      2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
      2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
      2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
      2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
      2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        Also one guy has defeated Ser Gregor to date (Loras Tyrell).
        Well, technically he was defeated by the horse Loras was riding on.

His brother fought him to a stalemate, though.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
          If you're giving an not at all subtle hint that I figured out what will actually happen because you've read the books, please don't do that anymore.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Well, technically he was defeated by the horse Loras was riding on.

His brother fought him to a stalemate, though.
            And yeah the Hound saved Ser Loras' butt back in the good ole jousting days, but he's clearly got enough on his hands with a little Stark.

Comment

If you're giving an not at all subtle hint that I figured out what will actually happen because you've read the books, please don't do that anymore.
              This.

I don't care if anyone has read the books, keep it to yourself. This is a thread about the TV series, not the books, if you want to discuss the books, start a new thread.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                This.

I don't care if anyone has read the books, keep it to yourself. This is a thread about the TV series, not the books, if you want to discuss the books, start a new thread.
                I don't really care either way (I read one book and while I respect the universe and GRRM's point of not letting people live just because they're good, I'm not gonna read a series or watch a tv show where literally everyone you care about gets killed off), but that's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? The answers are out there, but because you guys don't want to read it, you can't talk about it? Isn't that a bit like saying "Don't spoil the end of the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter" when those movies came out, even though the books had been out there for years or, in the LotR example, decades prior? I guess most recently, can we not spoil how the end of the Hunger Games or Hobbit movies will end?

You can speculate on what happens, but people who have read the books can't speculate on how the tv show will mesh with/change/stay true to the books?
                Last edited by unofan; 05-16-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  I don't really care either way (I read one book and while I respect the universe and GRRM's point of not letting people live just because they're good, I'm not gonna read a series or watch a tv show where literally everyone you care about gets killed off), but that's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? The answers are out there, but because you guys don't want to read it, you can't talk about it? Isn't that a bit like saying "Don't spoil the end of the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter" when those movies came out, even though the books had been out there for years or, in the LotR example, decades prior?

You can speculate on what happens, but people who have read the books can't speculate on how the tv show will mesh/change/stay true to the books?
                  Sure you can...in a different thread. There is a reason the AV Club has 2 separate reviews of the show each week.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't really care either way (I read one book and while I respect the universe and GRRM's point of not letting people live just because they're good, I'm not gonna read a series or watch a tv show where literally everyone you care about gets killed off), but that's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? The answers are out there, but because you guys don't want to read it, you can't talk about it? Isn't that a bit like saying "Don't spoil the end of the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter" when those movies came out, even though the books had been out there for years or, in the LotR example, decades prior? I guess most recently, can we not spoil how the end of the Hunger Games or Hobbit movies will end?

You can speculate on what happens, but people who have read the books can't speculate on how the tv show will mesh with/change/stay true to the books?
                    Do you think its fair to those who haven't read the books to say I wonder how they'll kill Ned Stark? If they'll hold to the book and have Sansa watching, etc? Obviously I'm using a very early example...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Do you think its fair to those who haven't read the books to say I wonder how they'll kill Ned Stark? If they'll hold to the book and have Sansa watching, etc? Obviously I'm using a very early example...
                      I think its fair when the source material has been out there for awhile; we're not talking about a leaked script or a contemporaneous novelization, for instance. In this case, it's been three years since Book 5 came out, and a whopping nine years since Book 4 (again, having only read book 1, I have no clue how far along the tv series is, but if a season = a book, then we're talking about stuff that has been readily available to the public for nearly a decade). The original book came out almost 20 years ago.

As amusing as the reaction to the whole Red Wedding scene was on twitter/facebook/etc was, a lot of that amusement came from the fact that people were surprised by something that was written down over 10 years earlier.
                      Last edited by unofan; 05-16-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I think its fair when the source material has been out there for awhile; we're not talking about a leaked script or a contemporaneous novelization, for instance. In this case, it's been three years since Book 5 came out, and a whopping nine years since Book 4 (again, having only read book 1, I have no clue how far along the tv series is, but if a season = a book, then we're talking about stuff that has been readily available to the public for nearly a decade). The original book came out almost 20 years ago.

As amusing as the reaction to the whole Red Wedding scene was on twitter/facebook/etc was, a lot of that amusement came from the fact that people were surprised by something that was written down over 10 years earlier.
                        You really don't get the fact that lots of people haven't read the books. Some of the books may be over a decade old but they weren't popular a decade ago to the general public like Lord of the Rings. I just think its silly to jump in here and drop spoilers to people who haven't read the books and don't plan to make time to read the books. The red wedding happened and you think it would have been fine to come in here and wonder how they'll kill all those people before we even know it's happen?

Comment

The books, as good as they are, are quite laborious to read. It's fair to not have to expect people to know what happens.

And the fact that people can find more information on what happened in the books is all the more reason not to talk about it here. If people want to see what happens without reading or waiting for the show to catch up, there's a wiki with tons of detailed chapter summaries from the books. No need to discuss those points here.

One of the cool things about how fandom of this show has shaped is that many of the book readers have taken it upon themselves to not spoil things for the show-only people, and it's made events like Ned's death, the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding that much more fun to see the reaction to.

So, all that said... don't spoil stuff from the books.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            The books, as good as they are, are quite laborious to read. It's fair to not have to expect people to know what happens.

And the fact that people can find more information on what happened in the books is all the more reason not to talk about it here. If people want to see what happens without reading or waiting for the show to catch up, there's a wiki with tons of detailed chapter summaries from the books. No need to discuss those points here.

One of the cool things about how fandom of this show has shaped is that many of the book readers have taken it upon themselves to not spoil things for the show-only people, and it's made events like ***** that much more fun to see the reaction to.

So, all that said... don't spoil stuff from the books.
                            I view this like I view comic books. Don't spoil every movie because I haven't read them when they came out 30 years ago.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Damm, now you ruined it!!!!
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I won't. I honestly thought you were writing it tongue in cheek, and was laughing along with you.
                                2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
                                2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
                                2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                                2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
                                2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Working...
                                X