Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I liked the reveal that (spoilers) Littlefinger and Lysa (?) conspired to kill John Arran
    I must have missed that and thought they just conspired to place the blame.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My favorite part of that reveal is that a lot of people seem to take it to mean that Littlefinger somehow was able to predict everything that would happen after Jon Arryn's death: Ned's term as Hand, the war that followed, the Tyrell's willingness to poison Joffrey, getting Sansa to come with him to the Eyrie. As if he were a wizard. More realistically, I think he realized that he could escalate tensions by claiming the Lannisters did it, use his knowlege of the Twincest to further push the realm into chaos if need be, all the while realizing that at minimum he gained the ability to marry the Petyr-crazy, widowed Lysa and have control of the Vale.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        My favorite part of that reveal is that a lot of people seem to take it to mean that
        Yeah, The Vale is a great place to control because its so hard to take. Wonder what else he has planned.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If the Arya-and-the-Hound buddy comedy were aired back to back with the Brienne-and-Pod detective show, it would be such must-see-TV that I wouldn't even DVR it, I'd watch it live with commercials and all.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Well, there's your Dinklage Emmy nomination after that last scene
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              I was expecting him to make that very request earlier in the episode, but then thought that it might be considered a retread storywise. At the same time, it makes me think that the whole trial was a charade for Tywin to get the deal he wanted all along, knowing his sons as he does.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I was expecting him to make that very request earlier in the episode, but then thought that it might be considered a retread storywise. At the same time, it makes me think that the whole trial was a charade for Tywin to get the deal he wanted all along, knowing his sons as he does.
                Does this set up Ser Jamie vs. The Mountain in the Trial by Combat? Let's see how well the now-former White Sword will fare with the left hand!

So let me see if I can pick out the cinematic end of Theon - he plays the "role of Theon" so convincingly he remembers himself at the end, sacrificing himself to save his sister from certain death at the hand of the Ramsey Snow - B%stard with a capital 'B'.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  Does this set up Ser Jamie vs. The Mountain in the Trial by Combat? Let's see how well the now-former White Sword will fare with the left hand!

So let me see if I can pick out the cinematic end of Theon - he plays the "role of Theon" so convincingly he remembers himself at the end, sacrificing himself to save his sister from certain death at the hand of the Ramsey Snow - B%stard with a capital 'B'.
                  I don't think that the Mountain would make a good combatant for a trial by combat, at least not in this situation. Tywin wants the Martells onboard because he's worried about the Targaeryans, and if the Mountain prevails he loses both Jaime and Tyrion, ensure then end of his line because Jaime's sure to volunteer for Tyrion. Bron might volunteer, but he'd want to see his opponent before taking a risk like that. Other than that, Tyrion appears to be short on supporters in King's Landing these days.

Comment

Interesting observation in the recap/review on io9:

When Tyrion came to King's Landing, he'd just been appointed acting Hand of the King, and he was suddenly eager to prove that he was smarter than the previous Hand, Ned Stark. But last night's episode shows him facing the exact same fate as Ned, because he couldn't stop being too clever for his own good.

Tyrion's masterstroke was that he told three different people three different plans, to see which one got back to his sister Cersei: Littlefinger, Varys and Pycelle. Whoever told Cersei, Tyrion would know he couldn't trust. When Pycelle ratted Tyrion out to Cersei, Tyrion had Pycelle tossed in a black cell. And then Tyrion went ahead with his real plan, sending Cersei's only daughter Myrcella away to Dorne to be protected (or to be a hostage.)

There are a few key flaws in Tyrion's cunning ruse, however. First of all, he should have known already who he could trust: nobody. Second of all, the two people he came away deciding he could trust were Littlefinger (who framed him for murder, although he doesn't know that) and Varys (who just testified against him at his trial.) Third of all, he made an enemy of Pycelle, who is only too eager to make up crazy stories about Tyrion stealing every poison on Earth from Pycelle's stash.

This whole business of figuring out who you can trust is only slightly different than Ned Stark insisting on giving Cersei a fair warning before revealing her secret — in both cases, it betrays a misunderstanding of how the world works.
                    That's something I hadn't thought about before.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

A terrible calamity has befallen the Republic! Pirate Bay is down on Game of Thrones day!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Yep. Fiance said, "wow that was really good" after it, I said "Yeah, that might win him an Emmy". My favorite Tyrion scene yet, and there have been so many good ones.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't think that the Mountain would make a good combatant for a trial by combat, at least not in this situation. Tywin wants the Martells onboard because he's worried about the Targaeryans, and if the Mountain prevails he loses both Jaime and Tyrion, ensure then end of his line because Jaime's sure to volunteer for Tyrion. Bron might volunteer, but he'd want to see his opponent before taking a risk like that. Other than that, Tyrion appears to be short on supporters in King's Landing these days.
                          Right. This puts Tywin in a tough situation, he won't want Jaime to be killed for all of the reasons you say. I wonder if Tywin would even expect Jaime to stand for Tyrion...This is the way for Tyrion to get out of it completely.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Given the discussion from non-book readers in this thread, I think maybe the show hasn't really done a good enough job setting up why Oberyn will eventually stand for Tyrion in the trial by combat. In the books, a rapport was cultivated that supported it better.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Right. This puts Tywin in a tough situation, he won't want Jaime to be killed for all of the reasons you say. I wonder if Tywin would even expect Jaime to stand for Tyrion...This is the way for Tyrion to get out of it completely.
                              You know, if Tywin did call the Mountain in as a champion for the Crown, it might be a setup to give Prince Oberyn the chance to kill him in single combat, acting as Tyrion's champion. Just a thought, but it seems like a long one to me.

Comment

Yeah, that's the vibe I got from it. Tywin was too quick to say yes when Jamie made his offer.

I just knew Tyrion was too proud, and had too much character to beg for mercy for something he hadn't done. That last scene was wonderful.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X