Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    You probably have people appearing older in the series than in the books because it would be incredibly distasteful to American audiences to see Margaery seduce a 9-year old boy or a 14-year old Daenerys giving birth.
    Yes, I agree with that wholly. Add to that, the timeline of these books isn't just a couple months in the lives of the Westeros(ians?). From the time Ned lost his head until now has been a couple years in actual time. How long does it take to assemble an army from all the different lords and then march it more than 1,300 miles? The timeline is often times long in between the action we see on screen or read in the books. So you start most of the younger characters a bit older than they were in the books and nature will take care of the rest.

The only people to whom I would say this does not apply are the Stark children, Sansa and younger. Sansa only had her first period while in Kings Landing and we know Arya, Bran and Rickon to be younger than Sansa. We're never explicitly told Jon Snow's, Robb Stark's, Dany's, Joffrey's or Tommen's ages in the show. Beyond them, I don't recall any other child characters with main or recurring roles.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Yes, I agree with that wholly. Add to that, the timeline of these books isn't just a couple months in the lives of the Westeros(ians?). From the time Ned lost his head until now has been a couple years in actual time. How long does it take to assemble an army from all the different lords and then march it more than 1,300 miles? The timeline is often times long in between the action we see on screen or read in the books. So you start most of the younger characters a bit older than they were in the books and nature will take care of the rest.

The only people to whom I would say this does not apply are the Stark children, Sansa and younger. Sansa only had her first period while in Kings Landing and we know Arya, Bran and Rickon to be younger than Sansa. We're never explicitly told Jon Snow's, Robb Stark's, Dany's, Joffrey's or Tommen's ages in the show. Beyond them, I don't recall any other child characters with main or recurring roles.
      Some characters are left ambiguous, for others the age is mentioned at some point. The GoT wiki page has these ages listed at the present (Season 4)
      Joffrey - 19
      Daenerys - 18
      Tommen - 12 (but could be as old as 14)
      Sansa - 15-16
      Arya - 14
      Bran - 13
      Rickon - 9

Daenerys is only 18 on screen, but is portrayed by a 27-year old actress. Much easier for an American audience to envision a woman of 25 having sex and giving birth than a 16-year old girl.

Comment

I'm suddenly glad I don't have HBO.
        http://www.avclub.com/article/game-t...dorable-203981

The show will not be the same!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I suppose I'm starting to feel a bit like the show is not going to do much to show an impact from the rape of Cersei, beyond her starting to flat out hate Jaime, but I suppose it could be worse. I'm still in the camp of thinking that what we see is still fairly consistent with what we know about the characters, especially Jaime.
          From what I've seen online, the show's writers/producers did not intend for that scene to come across as a rape, and if that was not their intention then they did an abnormally poor job of executing it.

For book readers (highlight for spoilers): Is my memory way off, or is the stuff with Bran and Hodor and the Reeds being captured by the mutineers not in the books? I understand that Bran's plot in the books is basically "Hodor carries Bran north for two books" and this probably wouldn't lend well to good TV, but does this mean we'll get a Jon-Bran reunion that's also not in the books? I don't know, I'm not crazy about this.

Also, no Arya and the Hound this week. Boo.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            I'm suddenly glad I don't have HBO.
            http://www.avclub.com/article/game-t...dorable-203981

The show will not be the same!
            O, the infelinity

Comment

Jmh: well just have to see how that thread plays out.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Daenerys is only 18 on screen, but is portrayed by a 27-year old actress. Much easier for an American audience to envision a woman of 25 having sex and giving birth than a 16-year old girl.
                Because the American audience universally rejected the plot of the movie Juno.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Also not testing well was the scene with some guy raping his sister next to his dead "nephew", from most accounts .

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    That was a comedy (slightly different target audience) and Ellen Page was 20. I didn't see Juno; was the sex as graphic as it is on GoT?

Yes, the rape by Jaime was distasteful...but it was rape. It's supposed to be. It also was in keeping with the theme of the show. You are supposed to dislike Jaime now. You weren't supposed to dislike Drogo(?) for having sex with his wife.

Comment

That was a comedy (slightly different target audience) and Ellen Page was 20. I didn't see Juno; was the sex as graphic as it is on GoT?

Yes, the rape by Jaime was distasteful...but it was rape. It's supposed to be. It also was in keeping with the theme of the show. You are supposed to dislike Jaime now. You weren't supposed to dislike Drogo(?) for having sex with his wife.
                      No, it wasn't graphic. But I guess I just disagree with your premise that it wouldn't fly on American TV. It wouldn't fly on primtime network TV, but with the HBO audience, and the people that watch Game of Thrones, I think it would be ok. I mean, she is supposed to be 16 and it wasn't that long ago, in this country, that 16 year olds got married regularly. Go to Utah and it happens now!
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        No, it wasn't graphic. But I guess I just disagree with your premise that it wouldn't fly on American TV. It wouldn't fly on primtime network TV, but with the HBO audience, and the people that watch Game of Thrones, I think it would be ok. I mean, she is supposed to be 16 and it wasn't that long ago, in this country, that 16 year olds got married regularly. Go to Utah and it happens now!
                        Same principle can be applied to the enders game movie, as bad as it was. Ender is supposed to be like 6 in the book. But he was an early teen in the movie, most likely because the producers felt an American audience did not want to see a 6 year old kill.

Comment

For those with Twitter, check out Rich Eisen's TL and join in...we're having a GoT draft. Unfortunately he said Danerys' dragons are still too young

Comment

Spoilers.
                            So when the Hound awoke and saw Arya missing, was he concerned she had run off and he wouldn't get his gold, or was that concern for her? He must have realized that if she was going to run off, she would have killed him first - he heard her prayer the night before. I don't think they are going to the Vale. I think he's going to end up training her in swordplay and "keeping" her as a friend. Just a guess.

It would appear Margaery is going to get her wish even without the nocturnal visits.

Comment

Interesting turn with what Tywin divulged about the vast tonnage of gold being produced out of Lannisport these days. Dany appears to be stuck in Essos for a while longer. In the end, she will not vie for the Iron Throne, I expect. I also expect that when Jon Snow returns to Castle Black that it will be to a place of divided loyalties, based upon what we saw last week with the acting lord commander and what Jon did at Craster's this week.

After Tyrion's trial, I expect the most interesting happenings to be at the Wall this season. It's clear that Dany's going to get bogged down in Essos and simply stay there - either ruling or dieing in the act. Petr Baelish made it clear that he's going to summon his recources for the Iron Throne, but that won't happen for a while. I bet Sansa will flee from her current situation because it's clear that she's not enjoying her new accommodations much. Arya will end up removing the Hound from her prayer list. Bran should succumb to frost bite sooner or later and just become the least scary White Walker ever. Hodor will Hodor.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I liked the reveal that (spoilers) Littlefinger and Lysa (?) conspired to kill John Arran

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X