Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4: Who Is Jon Snow?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I took the last scene with Arya riding her own horse, with them riding into a burning land to mean that they're not going to the Vale anymore, but they are going to the place we know is burning, the North.
    There are a few ways to get to the Vale (book 1 content there). The safest way is (was?) to go through the north, but it's a longer journey. The mountain trail that Catelyn took Tyrion through is much faster, but it's filled with the Mountain Men, as you saw in season 1.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I think it's the Riverlands that are ablaze. There really isn't a safe way for them to get to The North, IMO.

I suspect that they're heading mostly the same direction as they do in the books.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I binged on all 30 episodes this weekend during the marathon. I watched the Red Wedding episode last year to see what the fuss was about. Watching the previous episodes puts it all in context and makes what happens to the Starks even worse. I can see why this show is so popular. I'll have to catch the new season on the internets because I no longer have HBO and I'm not shelling out $17/month.

The highlight for me was seeing that snake Daenerys Targaryan get his golden crown... I'm holding out hope "King" Joffrey suffers a death just as painful.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I think it's the Riverlands that are ablaze. There really isn't a safe way for them to get to The North, IMO.

I suspect that they're heading mostly the same direction as they do in the books.
          I didn't read the books, are we supposed to know that the Riverlands are burning?

I like how this show always seems bring forward new characters to be the favorites/most interesting. Last season we saw the Kingslayer and Brienne focussed on, now it might end up being Arya and The Hound. I am liking the development of Marjorie Tyrell, I think it will be interesting seeing what happens with her. Now the further development of House Martell brings another twist into it.

This is just such a well put together show. I love it.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I didn't read the books, are we supposed to know that the Riverlands are burning?
            Perhaps not burning, per se, but the civil war has been hitting the Riverlands pretty hard since the last third or so of the first season.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

A lot of the fighting has been going on in the Riverlands. The Freys hold the Twins (a couple towers on opposite sides of the river with a bridge between them), the Tullys hold River Run, and Harrenhall isn't far from those keeps. Tywin Lannister was holed up in Harrenhall before going to King's Landing; Edmure Tully was fighting from River Run, which was only briefly mentioned in the show last season.

To give an idea of the geography, from what I understand, the Riverlands are at the center of Westeros and in relation to them: King's Landing to the SSE, Highgarden to the SW, Casterly Rock to the west along that coast, Storm's End (where Stannis sits) is the eastern coast, the Aerie to the ENE, the Iron Islands in the NW, Winterfell to the north, and Dorn to the extreme south, a separate kingdom from Westeros. The Narrow Sea is the eastern border of Westeros, with all of Daenarys Targaryen's story taking place to along the eastern coast of the Narrow Sea.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                A lot of the fighting has been going on in the Riverlands. The Freys hold the Twins (a couple towers on opposite sides of the river with a bridge between them), the Tullys hold River Run, and Harrenhall isn't far from those keeps. Tywin Lannister was holed up in Harrenhall before going to King's Landing; Edmure Tully was fighting from River Run, which was only briefly mentioned in the show last season.

To give an idea of the geography, from what I understand, the Riverlands are at the center of Westeros and in relation to them: King's Landing to the SSE, Highgarden to the SW, Casterly Rock to the west along that coast, Storm's End (where Stannis sits) is the eastern coast, the Aerie to the ENE, the Iron Islands in the NW, Winterfell to the north, and Dorn to the extreme south, a separate kingdom from Westeros. The Narrow Sea is the eastern border of Westeros, with all of Daenarys Targaryen's story taking place to along the eastern coast of the Narrow Sea.
                quartermaester.info has a great interactive map that shows you where people are at a given point in the story based on either episode or book chapter. It has not been updated for the Season 4 premiere yet but its pretty awesome.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  The highlight for me was seeing that snake Daenerys Targaryan get his golden crown... I'm holding out hope "King" Joffrey suffers a death just as painful.
                  Daenerys is the girl with the dragons. Viserys is her brother who got dead.
                  Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  quartermaester.info has a great interactive map that shows you where people are at a given point in the story based on either episode or book chapter. It has not been updated for the Season 4 premiere yet but its pretty awesome.
                  Here's a large static map if you prefer.
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

No spoilers, but the next season might be difficult. The fourth book is fairly weak (aside from a villain making one horrible mistake after another) but I'm assuming they'll splice in the fifth book as well (they kind of did that last season with the Theon storyline).

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      No spoilers, but the next season might be difficult. The fourth book is fairly weak (aside from a villain making one horrible mistake after another) but I'm assuming they'll splice in the fifth book as well (they kind of did that last season with the Theon storyline).
                      They've also moved Ser Dontos's introduction to Sansa from book 2 into the first episode of this fourth season. The books are so dense with material that things we think they've removed may very well show up in future seasons to compensate for that book's weakness.

Comment

They've also moved Ser Dontos's introduction to Sansa from book 2 into the first episode of this fourth season. The books are so dense with material that things we think they've removed may very well show up in future seasons to compensate for that book's weakness.
                        I thought something was missing from Seasons 2 and 3.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

GoT was officially renewed for seasons 5 and 6 today.

HBO has ordered a fifth and sixth season of “Game of Thrones,” HBO Programming president Michael Lombardo announced today.
                          http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/game...s-1201154239/#

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            Daenerys is the girl with the dragons. Viserys is her brother who got dead.Here's a large static map if you prefer.
                            Dollars to doughnuts when this is all over she's sitting on that uncomfortable iron throne.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Dollars to doughnuts when this is all over she's sitting on that uncomfortable iron throne.
                              I'm rooting for Samwell Tarley to take the Iron Throne.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ok, that makes sense. I have a pretty good idea of the geography, I've studied maps and family trees/webs during past seasons trying to keep everything straight.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X