Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Not college... But this only could happen in Texas...

How the hell do you get this far into a project like this and miss something of this nature
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I'm surprised this news wasn't already here. The NCAA lost a lawsuit about refusing to pay college athletes for use of their likeness, and paying them, in general. The court decision limits compensation to $5,000/year.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/08/sport/...html?hpt=hp_t2
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I'm surprised this news wasn't already here. The NCAA lost a lawsuit about refusing to pay college athletes for use of their likeness, and paying them, in general. The court decision limits compensation to $5,000/year.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/08/sport/...html?hpt=hp_t2
        Haven't read the decision yet, but this strikes me as a mushy decision. If you have the right to sell your likeness, shouldn't you have the right to let the market determine how much that likeness is worth?

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
          Haven't read the decision yet, but this strikes me as a mushy decision. If you have the right to sell your likeness, shouldn't you have the right to let the market determine how much that likeness is worth?
          It reads like the judge came up with the number because she heard it through the grapevine that most schools would be happy with a "a few thousand dollars" compensation. It seemed pretty arbitrary to me, too.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            Exactly. What's the precedent for the $5k cap?

Also, "college athletes" is bulls***. It's just football and men's basketball players. No one involved in this suit cares about hockey players or any other athlete.
            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
              Exactly. What's the precedent for the $5k cap?

Also, "college athletes" is bulls***. It's just football and men's basketball players. No one involved in this suit cares about hockey players or any other athlete.
              Sioux them!!
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Steve Spurrier weighs in.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Buni-RaIMAAOr3i.png

I'm sure the NCAA is just thrilled with him.

Comment

There is no way this stands up. It's a stupid ruling because he knows it's going to fail (for sure under title IX) and he's just trying to make a point. I hate rulings like that.

All in all, dumb.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    There is no way this stands up. It's a stupid ruling because he knows it's going to fail (for sure under title IX) and he's just trying to make a point. I hate rulings like that.

All in all, dumb.
                    Or, Title IX forces the expansion to female athletes.

Or, the CHL starts advertising that you can get paid pkaying for them while in college you watch the hoops players get the bucks while you're freezing your butt off playing in front of the 3rd string cheerleaders.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                    X