Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

I can't believe I'm reading this. This defies belief.

You're right, the kid just won a national title in basketball while eating two slices of bread a day. Give me a break.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I can't believe I'm reading this. This defies belief.

You're right, the kid just won a national title in basketball while eating two slices of bread a day. Give me a break.
      Nobody is saying that.

Again, I'm not sure why you have such animus towards this kid.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Because I have zero time for people who play the martyr when they have no idea what it means to go hungry. Especially when I've seen what these kids have access to.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Because I have zero time for people who play the martyr when they have no idea what it means to go hungry. Especially when I've seen what these kids have access to.
          Yet you haven't.
          North Dakota

Comment

You're probably right. A star athlete on scholarship going to the NBA from a D1 powerhouse in a revenue sport is probably going hungry. That's WAY more plausible than him lying. You're absolutely right.
            Code:

Comment

You're probably right. A star athlete on scholarship going to the NBA from a D1 powerhouse in a revenue sport is probably going hungry. That's WAY more plausible than him lying. You're absolutely right.
              I never said he was telling the truth. I just don't irrationally discount his story without knowing more facts...especially after talking with several D1 players from revenue sports about their situations and how they are so different than what I thought they would be. But go ahead...hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil right?
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I never said he was telling the truth. I just don't irrationally discount his story without knowing more facts...especially after talking with several D1 players from revenue sports about their situations and how they are so different than what I thought they would be. But go ahead...hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil right?
                I'm not irrationally discounting his story. I'm discounting it because his story requires the willing suspension of disbelief.
                Code:

Comment

I'm not irrationally discounting his story. I'm discounting it because his story requires the willing suspension of disbelief.
                  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that I guess. The only rational I see you using is based on your one specific experience at one specific dining hall at one specific university/college. To assume that every other college athlete had the same/similar experience is irrational to me.
                  North Dakota

Comment

This is insane.
                    Code:

Comment

Overall, I would have to say that I agree with DX....

There will be outliers... You're talking 85+ Athletes at 111 FBS schools and 63 athletes at 141 schools that are on scholarship... That's a lot of kids.... Odds are some will come from tough financial situations... But they are given a great opportunity to escape that when they are at school... Going hungry at school is Darwinism at it's finest.... If you are too dumb to find a way to make it to the mess hall at some point in the day between 7am and 9pm, you deserve to starve... It's not that hard to smuggle bagels, fruit, and other snacks of that nature to your room for snacking... Any D-I athlete claiming this needs to be slapped...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        Overall, I would have to say that I agree with DX....

There will be outliers... You're talking 85+ Athletes at 111 FBS schools and 63 athletes at 141 schools that are on scholarship... That's a lot of kids.... Odds are some will come from tough financial situations... But they are given a great opportunity to escape that when they are at school... Going hungry at school is Darwinism at it's finest.... If you are too dumb to find a way to make it to the mess hall at some point in the day between 7am and 9pm, you deserve to starve... It's not that hard to smuggle bagels, fruit, and other snacks of that nature to your room for snacking... Any D-I athlete claiming this needs to be slapped...
                        I think we're forgetting that upperclassmen that do not live on campus do not get to just walk into the mess hall and eat. They don't have a meal card. The Northwestern players got a stipend of $1200-1600 for all of their living expenses. I'm not entirely familiar with the cost of living expenses around Northwestern, so I can't really say whether or not that is realistic to live off of or not.
                        North Dakota

Comment

My guess is that you are not playing a revenue sport (football or basketball)?
                          Correct.
                          BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            I think we're forgetting that upperclassmen that do not live on campus do not get to just walk into the mess hall and eat. They don't have a meal card. The Northwestern players got a stipend of $1200-1600 for all of their living expenses. I'm not entirely familiar with the cost of living expenses around Northwestern, so I can't really say whether or not that is realistic to live off of or not.
                            The u of m is one of the largest campuses in the nation, maybe even the largest, yet there is no one starving on this campus with such little time between dining hall open and close (they are open from like 6 am to midnight). These athletes have the option to live in the dorms and get free food, which they almost certainly get regardless of living on campus or off. These are decisions the athletes are making. They are old enough to make grown up decisions and live with the grown up consequences.

He's the one making the claim yet you demand evidence from us trying to prove a negative. But go ahead, just believe everything you hear with no proof from this basketball player whatsoever.
                            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-18-2014, 10:18 PM.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              The u of m is one of the largest campuses in the nation, maybe even the largest, yet there is no one starving on this campus with such little time between dining hall open and close (they are open from like 6 am to midnight). These athletes have the option to live in the dorms and get free food, which they almost certainly get regardless of living on campus or off. These are decisions the athletes are making. They are old enough to make grown up decisions and live with the grown up consequences.

He's the one making the claim yet you demand evidence from us trying to prove a negative. But go ahead, just believe everything you hear with no proof from this basketball player whatsoever.
                              When did I say that I believed him? You're also greatly exaggerating what the player said...not that I'm surprised

Also, last I checked, this player doesn't play at Michigan, and neither do the players at Northwestern. Not sure how assumed situations there apply to these players.
                              North Dakota

Comment

So they can afford to live off campus, but can't afford to eat. Makes sense to me.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X