Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    i wonder if not-for-profit entities can have for-profit subsidiaries?

Have all the football players get reclassified as majoring in "professional sports developmental program" or some such thing, then have the football programs become the minor leagues. Minimal disruption of facilities, major tax headache though for the colleges.
    I'd just say give up on the patina of academics entirely. Out here in SoCal, and I'm sure lots of other places, there are many corporate leagues (soccer, softball, beach volleyball, etc), where the nerds from Lockheed can really give the business to the dorks from Boeing. You could do the same thing among college employees, just with a slightly higher demand for tickets and TV rights. Just start up a new National Collegiate Corporate Football Association (NCCFA) to administer some basic eligibility rules (keep the 5 year eligibility, must be an employee of the university), and you're good to go. So long as you plow any "profits" back into the operation of the university, I don't see why you'd need to stand up a separate for-profit subsidiary. Universities are allowed to raise revenues in all sorts of ways - selling tickets, merchandise, and TV rights aren't that different from selling parking passes or charging library fines.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Question for those who are looking for Medical Coverage for athletes:

How do we keep boosters from corrupting the crap out of the system... Something like "Oh you got a bruise during the National Title Game we won... Here's $50k/year for the next 10 years"... This just seems like a way to allow more garbage to go on at schools in the B1G, $EC, ect... Good on paper, but probably horrible in practice...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

How do we keep boosters from corrupting the crap out of the system... Something like "Oh you got a bruise during the National Title Game we won... Here's $50k/year for the next 10 years"... This just seems like a way to allow more garbage to go on at schools in the B1G, $EC, ect... Good on paper, but probably horrible in practice...
        There is medical insurance for the SA until he / she graduates / leaves school. Then you're on parents' policy until you're 26.

What I believe the key is who pays for catastrophic injuries / rehab / long term care / loss of income when the SA leaves school? If the athlete is an employee, then the obligation falls to the employer. If he/she is a "student athlete" (a term invented by the NCAA to get out of the employer/employee relationship) then the onus is on the student.

You need to watch the movie "Schooled". It is interesting. Pro student, anti NCAA, but it does open ones eyes (and mind).
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Why would that be any different from what happens presently? Why are boosters any more likely to get involved with health insurance?

Comment

If these students don't have the money to eat, or do laundry, or go home....where do they get the money for all the tatoos they have?
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              If these students don't have the money to eat, or do laundry, or go home....where do they get the money for all the tatoos they have?
              You think those cost money? /wishIwerejoking
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Adrian Peterson has come out in favor of pay-for-play in college.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...should-be-paid
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Students or employees? I'd say they are closer to mercenaries than anything else, at least at all the BCS conferences (or whatever we're going to call them going forward) and even a few schools outside of the most successful conferences.

Comment

Meet the SEC Bag Man

In other words....college student-athletes wanting to get paid is just them being greedy. Big surprise.

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      i wonder if not-for-profit entities can have for-profit subsidiaries?

Have all the football players get reclassified as majoring in "professional sports developmental program" or some such thing, then have the football programs become the minor leagues. Minimal disruption of facilities, major tax headache though for the colleges.
                      Well, I suppose that it could be like the NFL: the league is not-for-profit, but the franchises are for-profit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Meet the SEC Bag Man

In other words....college student-athletes wanting to get paid is just them being greedy. Big surprise.
                        That was a fun read. I guess when the NCAA reads this, Sam Houston State's bowling team is going to get hammered.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          That was a fun read. I guess when the NCAA reads this, Sam Houston State's bowling team is going to get hammered.
                          I'm hoping they aim big and NDSU's football team takes the fall.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            I'm hoping they aim big and NDSU's football team takes the fall.
                            From your lips to God's Ear!

Truthfully, that does make a whole lot of sense to me. There's plenty of alumni and other assorted rich fans who are pretty comfortable and could easily eat losing somewhere between $5,000 to $20,000 a year in their taxes and not have that hurt them too much. And hell, helping out the family with not really that flashy of things would be the way to go with it. It could easily happen at about any decent college football program out there.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I sat near the Union rooting section, and there was one student aged person with a sign "Pay College Athletes". Seemed odd to me that it was a Union College supporter, a fan of the one of the four finalists that purports not to give what some people would refer to as "adequate compensation" now.

Comment

On a related note, the NCAA recently adopted a measure that would allow for unlimited meals and snacks for student-athletes. Three quick thoughts:

1.- The only schools that can afford to do this are the ones that already have boosters paying their athletes
                                2.- "student-athletes" really just means football players
                                3.- No one is going hungry in college athletics. If a student-athlete doesn't have meal plan as part of their scholarship, this measure changes nothing; schools aren't going to magically have the funds all of a sudden.

Just another attempt by the NCAA to make it look like they care about student-athletes.
                                BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X