Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Originally posted by duper View Post
    A not-really related article from SI from 1954 about why the University of Chicago dropped football in 1939. The Maroons were in the Big 10, and the very first winner of the award that was later renamed the Heisman Trophy was a Maroon. Ultimately, they made the decision that big-time football and big-time education didn't mix. I wonder if it isn't time for some other schools to reach a similar conclusion.
    Probably better, more current, and even hockey-related examples are BU (1997) and Northeastern (2009).

It's clear football is that bad boy on the college sports scene. It's a Title IX nightmare, a scholarship hog (85 schollies, I think), and the biggest impediment to improving graduation rates. The season's over sometime between November and February, and there's little incentive for the non-academically serious football players to even make an attempt at acting like students once the season's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      First, you should read the NLRB decision and see the evidence used to come to that determination. It's pretty clear that what happened to Colter happened to others, and people testified as such under oath. In our Sports Law class, Professor Brandt (Andrew Brandt...former VP for the Packers and ESPN commentator) brought in some of the football players from Villanova. They essentially said this was rampant there, and rampant pretty much everywhere they had seen. But go ahead, turn a blind eye to it...

As for Colter, he was pre-med, and couldn't take the classes that he needed without it conflicting with practice. Had he missed practice (or portions of practice), he would have lost his scholarship. It's not that difficult to see...unless you don't want to see it. Of course, you're extremely biased against Colter (think he's lying when he has no reason to do so...he won't be the one who benefits from this movement), so I'm sure you'll find some other excuse.

Second, who cares about Minnesota? They are a public school and there will be no unionization of players at public schools anytime soon (barring significant legislation that will never happen). It's a completely different situation than Northwestern. As for those players taking difficult majors, I'd be curious to see if they are scholarship players, and, if so, if they graduate with those degrees.
      I still call bulls*t on this not being able to take classes. I worked three jobs in college sophomore year and two all of the other years and still found a way to get my two degrees (chemical engineering and chemistry) in four years (it would have been three if I didn't get bad advice from a "guidance counselor") from a school known for the extremely rigorous chemical engineering program.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        And if they quit football do you think the University would still honor the scholarship?
        No, and they shouldn't. I wish I had the time to take golf classes, sleep in on the weekends, drink myself stupid at least four times a week, and still get my degree. I chose the degree. Life is full of tough choices. Suck it up and wear a cup.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Unionization is like the BTHC, it is the worth possible solution to the problems the NCAA is facing. The BTHC caused the conference realignment that was desperately needed to the detriment of everynes feelings. There were better ways to go about it just like there are other ways for the athletes to get better health care.
          You'll rarely hear me say anything nice about a union, so write down the date.

Most anti-union screeds start out with, "I mean, they had their time and place and there was a reason for them back then, but..." Well, for minor league football players, that time and place is now. They are woefully underpaid and have unfair labor restrictions forced on them while their fat cat monopolistic employers get rich off their labors - a textbook case that is crying out FOR a union.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            Probably better, more current, and even hockey-related examples are BU (1997) and Northeastern (2009).

It's clear football is that bad boy on the college sports scene. It's a Title IX nightmare, a scholarship hog (85 schollies, I think), and the biggest impediment to improving graduation rates. The season's over sometime between November and February, and there's little incentive for the non-academically serious football players to even make an attempt at acting like students once the season's over.
            85 full scholarships at the D1-A programs.
            63 partial scholarships at the D1-AA level, where those guys would get part of the scholarship covered, from like a half to maybe a full ride.
            36 partial scholarships at the D2 level, guys here are lucky to get a quarter to a half of their college covered for the year.
            And then there's D3, where there's no scholarships.

Seems to me that the best course for the NCAA right now is to get their collective heads out of their *** and figure out a way to make sure players are taken care of long term for whatever sort of injuries that the players might develop during their time they're performing for their school. And it probably should even include something for the walk-on's as well. And while they're at it, they better make sure that the system works for all of their other athletes, from the bowling team to the swim team. I'm no expert on that sort of thing, but I would have to think that other sport athletes would have better odds of not being catastrophically injured during their time on college and oh say for the 10 years after college.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Health care coverage for injuries/problems that may have developed during the years a player played at a college seems like it could be a pretty major and undefined financial commitment for decades to come. I'm not saying it's an unreasonable thing to want if you're a player. But for programs that don't spew out cash, this could make football a much less financially attractive sport to have around, especially at the D2 and D3 levels where the revenue is much smaller, but the healthcare commitments would be pretty much the same. An injury at D2 is pretty much like an injury at D1 (yes, D1 is faster/bigger so there could be a little difference?).
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                Health care coverage for injuries/problems that may have developed during the years a player played at a college seems like it could be a pretty major and undefined financial commitment for decades to come. I'm not saying it's an unreasonable thing to want if you're a player. But for programs that don't spew out cash, this could make football a much less financially attractive sport to have around, especially at the D2 and D3 levels where the revenue is much smaller, but the healthcare commitments would be pretty much the same. An injury at D2 is pretty much like an injury at D1 (yes, D1 is faster/bigger so there could be a little difference?).
                D2 and D3 players are not likely to be considered employees, though. The school can ask you to waive your rights to healthcare/workers' comp if you're just a student participating in an extracurricular activity, but employers really can't do the same to their employees.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  D2 and D3 players are not likely to be considered employees, though. The school can ask you to waive your rights to healthcare/workers' comp if you're just a student participating in an extracurricular activity, but employers really can't do the same to their employees.
                  Agreed. But I think if this thing happens, it's really hard to know what ripples it will send out. I wouldn't assume at this point that anyone is going to be exempt. If health problems from college football should be paid for by the colleges, such reasoning would seem to apply at all division levels, even if at this time the D2/D3 players don't seem like they'd fall under the definition of employees. Sounds like the kind of stuff lawyers get rich off of.
                  Originally posted by Priceless
                  Good to see you're so reasonable.
                  Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                  Very well, said.
                  Originally posted by Rover
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Agreed. I think people see that Northwestern might be able to unionize in football, and think that all of college football (and perhaps even other sports) will be able to unionize. That simply isn't how this process works.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Sounds like the kind of stuff lawyers get rich off of.
                      Got that right. It will be so refreshing to see all that money diverted out of the pockets of the ADs and coaches and into the hands of the money grubbing lawyers where it belongs.

Comment

It seems clear to me that the real solution is to actually have minor league football. Actual professional leagues designed to develop young players to prepare them for the NFL, the way most team sports have. Then college football could be treated similarly to college hockey or college baseball, where a few players get a full ride, and some others get a partial, and some guys' families pay for their education. This might even solve some Title IX problems.

Of course, it obviously won't happen...

Comment

• Originally posted by duper View Post
                          It seems clear to me that the real solution is to actually have minor league football. Actual professional leagues designed to develop young players to prepare them for the NFL, the way most team sports have. Then college football could be treated similarly to college hockey or college baseball, where a few players get a full ride, and some others get a partial, and some guys' families pay for their education. This might even solve some Title IX problems.

Yes that could happen, but that would require NFL owners investing money instead lining their pockets.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Yes that could happen, but that would require NFL owners investing money instead lining their pockets.
                            Which, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post

i wonder if not-for-profit entities can have for-profit subsidiaries?

Have all the football players get reclassified as majoring in "professional sports developmental program" or some such thing, then have the football programs become the minor leagues. Minimal disruption of facilities, major tax headache though for the colleges.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                i wonder if not-for-profit entities can have for-profit subsidiaries?

Have all the football players get reclassified as majoring in "professional sports developmental program" or some such thing, then have the football programs become the minor leagues. Minimal disruption of facilities, major tax headache though for the colleges.
                                You're starting to sound like osorojo, and that is not a compliment. He has been known to propose the same kind of stuff for NCAA hockey.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X