Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    This ruling will never stand anyway. Way too many holes, not to mention a favorite topic around here: Title IX.
    Does Title IX apply to college hiring?
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Title IX has no direct effect on this issue.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
        They certainly could. Meaning it's theoretically possible. Is it likely? I don't think so.
        I think it's inevitable. If your coach is running a program that is netting $50M to the university, he probably really is worth $5M per year. However, if you have to start paying your players, sharing in marketing revenue, etc, so the program's net return to the general fund is only $10M, would you really pay your coach $5M? Or, put differently, if the school does continue to pay the coach $5M, you can bet that they're going to be pressuring him to cut costs in order to preserve as much as possible profit for the university (i.e. increase the $10M return).
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Hmmm. I saw a story linked by someone on Twitter that title IX and players in non-revenue sports would render this ruling moot. Will look back to find it.

Comment

Not so fast my friend. It may not have a direct impact, but like the movement that created it there's going to be a similar reaction when pay for play is argued inequitable.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              I think it's inevitable. If your coach is running a program that is netting $50M to the university, he probably really is worth $5M per year. However, if you have to start paying your players, sharing in marketing revenue, etc, so the program's net return to the general fund is only $10M, would you really pay your coach $5M? Or, put differently, if the school does continue to pay the coach $5M, you can bet that they're going to be pressuring him to cut costs in order to preserve as much as possible profit for the university (i.e. increase the $10M return).
              But a good coach makes a huge revenue difference, so if you reduce the coach's pay, another school will step in and offer more, as if the other school offers $3 million, but the coach adds $10 million in revenue, it's still a bargain. A top football coach brings a lot of value to a college football program, and their pay inevitably will reflect that.
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

This all reminds me of the passage on college football in Kurt Vonnegut's first novel, 1952's "Player Piano." He was WAY ahead of his time. Here's an excerpt from that chapter:

Buck Young, tall, massive, shy, appeared in the doorway and looked around the room. Doctor Roseberry stood and waved, and left Purdy and McCloud to join him at the door.
                "Bucky boy!"
                "Doc." Buck seemed somewhat ashamed to be seen with the coach, and looked hopefully at a vacant booth. He was behaving as though he were keeping an appointment with a dope peddler, and, in a way, Doctor Roseberry reflected cheerfully, he was.
                "Buck, I'm not going to waste any words, because there isn't much time. This offer won't be open many more days. Maybe it'll be off tomorrow. It's all up to the alumni," he lied.
                "Uh-huh," said Buck.
                "I'm prepared to offer you thirty thousand, Buck, six hundred a week, all year round, startin' tomorrow. What do you say?"
                Young's Adam's apple bobbed. He cleared his throat. "Every week?" he asked faintly.
                "That's how much we think of you, boy. Don't sell yourself short."
                "And I could study, too? You'd give me time off for classes and study?"
                Roseberry frowned. "Well - there's some pretty stiff rulings about that. You can't play college football, and go to school. They tried that once, and you know what a silly mess that was."
                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Not so fast my friend. It may not have a direct impact, but like the movement that created it there's going to be a similar reaction when pay for play is argued inequitable.
                  WNBA players do not make as much as NBA because of revenue generated, same thing for women's basketball vs football. They can argue all they want, but until they show money, they won't get as much.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    WNBA players do not make as much as NBA because of revenue generated, same thing for women's basketball vs football. They can argue all they want, but until they show money, they won't get as much.
                    True, but the NBA and WNBA aren't educational institutions receiving federal money.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Once they are deemed employees there can be no threat of federal aid being taken away for pay inequity. Im sure female professors make less than male ones on avg. Yet no actions are being taken.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Once they are deemed employees there can be no threat of federal aid being taken away for pay inequity. Im sure female professors make less than male ones on avg. Yet no actions are being taken.
                        According to this: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/tix_dis.html it does cover teacher pay through the Office of Civil Rights.
                        Last edited by thebrain; 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                          According to this: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/tix_dis.html it does cover teacher pay through the Office of Civil Rights.
                          interesting since teaching isn't an activity that would receive aid.

I wonder how that works if the men have union negotiated wages vs a non union women's team. wouldn't they simply need to negotiate their own pay?
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                            This all reminds me of the passage on college football in Kurt Vonnegut's first novel, 1952's "Player Piano." He was WAY ahead of his time. Here's an excerpt from that chapter:
                            I think I might have to read this novel now.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              You all seem to be overlooking one thing:

It's so that an 18-year-old football player doesn't get paralyzed and then told, "Sorry, insurance only covers $100,000 and then you're on your own!"

This ruling will never stand anyway. Way too many holes, not to mention a favorite topic around here: Title IX.
                              And remember the whole student-athlete terminology came into being because the NCAA did not want to get involved in workers compensation cases. If the employer-employee relationship is upheld, then the athletes would be eligible for WC.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Meanwhile, a UNC football player got an A- for this:

http://deadspin.com/this-unc-athlete...ame-1552798110

Comment

Working...
                                X