X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Wasn't Teddy Kennedy also on the Watch List? The AA watch list would be another matter.
    Yes - and the list on Wiki is lengthy.

On a very serious note:

FBI officials are investigating a beheading at an Oklahoma food distribution center after co-workers said the suspect tried to convert them to Islam after his recent conversion.

The alleged suspect, Alton Nolen, 30, was recently fired from Vaughan Foods in Moore prior to Thursday’s attack. Moore Police Department Sgt. Jeremy Lewis told KFOR that Nolen drove to the front of the business and struck a vehicle before walking inside. He then attacked Colleen Hufford, 54, stabbing her several times before severing her head. He also stabbed another woman, 43-year-old Traci Johnson, at the plant.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      The solution is going to be around education, convincing children that taking an interest and using their time to learn about their government will truly benefit them in the long run, but that gets into something much larger than this.

The problem with the cavalier attitude of 21% of the youngest generation getting their news from those shows isn't something that impacts a snapshot-in-time situation. We would need to know if it's a trend or an anomoly. Will future generations follow this same trend or not? If they do continue, then it's eventually not just 21% of a specific demo, but 21% of the entire population, likely growing higher than that if history's any indication.
      I think it's exactly the opposite. The 21% aren't "cavalier," they're sick of the BS of the "news" media. 80% of TDS and 100% of Colbert (the whole concept) is a parody of the news media and what a cynical joke it has become. It actually shows that they're engaged and pretty sophisticated critics. And IIRC they consistently score highest on tests of actual facts.

And really, what choice do they have? PBS is tedious even to me and I have a very high tolerance for boredom. For 20-somethings it must feel like a crypt. And the rest of the choices are either entertainment (CNN), pablum (the Big Three), or Pravda (FNC, MSNBC).
      Last edited by Kepler; 09-26-2014, 02:13 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
        Yes - and the list on Wiki is lengthy.

On a very serious note:
        I wish stupid people didn't get brainwashed so easily.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I think it's exactly the opposite. The 21% aren't "cavalier," they're sick of the BS of the "news" media. 80% of TDS and 100% of Colbert (the whole concept) is a parody of the news media and what a cynical joke it has become. It actually shows that they're engaged and pretty sophisticated critics. And IIRC they consistently score highest on tests of actual facts.

And really, what choice do they have? PBS is tedious even to me and I have a very high tolerance for boredom. For 20-somethings it must feel like a crypt. And the rest of the choices are either entertainment (CNN), pablum (the Big Three), or Pravda (FNC, MSNBC).
          First, I did a poor job of writing my response. I meant that Gurt's cavalier attitude towards the fact that 21% of people my age were getting their news from comedy shows.

Second, I think you're assigning a much more sophisticated set of reasons as to why these people are using Stewart and SNL as sources for their news. They're using those sources because they're entertaining. That's it. I doubt most of them could see through the biases those shows use on various issues - either mocked biases or not. This 21% originate from the same group of people that are often the least informed about current political issues and they're confusing shows, but that may simply be a function of youth. SNL would never attempt to be truly informative, the "news" they're sharing is mostly mocking celebrity gossip when I've watched it. Stewart is informative to some extent, but it's intentionally slanted, and often to some farcical extreme or another as a necessity of his show's format.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            First, I did a poor job of writing my response. I meant that Gurt's cavalier attitude towards the fact that 21% of people my age were getting their news from comedy shows.

Second, I think you're assigning a much more sophisticated set of reasons as to why these people are using Stewart and SNL as sources for their news. They're using those sources because they're entertaining. That's it. I doubt most of them could see through the biases those shows use on various issues - either mocked biases or not. This 21% originate from the same group of people that are often the least informed about current political issues and they're confusing shows, but that may simply be a function of youth. SNL would never attempt to be truly informative, the "news" they're sharing is mostly mocking celebrity gossip when I've watched it. Stewart is informative to some extent, but it's intentionally slanted, and often to some farcical extreme or another as a necessity of his show's format.
            My guess is the TDS and Colbert audience skews very highly into the grad school / young professional demographic -- the very people who are most likely to be well-informed and able to detect bias. From the type of humor used I wouldn't characterize the primary characteristic of the demo as so much "young" as "smart," or at any rate, "academic." It's basically the same shtick that has been the mother's milk of high end college parody mags for generations, just better done. Go ten years older and it's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me."
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              I wish stupid people didn't get brainwashed so easily.
              You rang?

"Prayer rugs have recently been found on the Texas side of the border in the brush," Dewhurst said during a speech Friday at the Values Voter Summit, echoing a claim reported on Breitbart and thought to actually be an Adidas soccer jersey.
              Cornell University

Comment

My guess is the TDS and Colbert audience skews very highly into the grad school / young professional demographic -- the very people who are most likely to be well-informed and able to detect bias. From the type of humor used I wouldn't characterize the primary characteristic of the demo as so much "young" as "smart," or at any rate, "academic." It's basically the same shtick that has been the mother's milk of high end college parody mags for generations, just better done. Go ten years older and it's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me."
                This. So very much this. As a 20 something who has spent the last 7+ years in college, most of my friend circles (grad school/young professionals) watch TDS and Colbert regardless of their political view points. I would say many use it as their only "TV" news source. However, they ALL understand the parody and most, if not all, read various news sources to supplement, depending on their political leanings.

A likely unrelated story: I was watching the 2012 election with my girlfriend who is, bless her heart, a "blind" liberal. Loves Obama but does not really know why. She was very nervous about the election (for some reason) and I had Fox News on for the election coverage. She was getting increasingly annoyed with it, and asked me several times why I had it on that channel. I dodged the questions several times until Fox called it for Obama. When that happened she was confident with the call. I then explained that is why I had it on because Fox would be the last news network to falsely call an election for Obama. Bias can be an effective tool if you recognize it.
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Yeah, you have to be a rocket scientist to get the Daily show or Colbert They are just so far over the masses heads
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Yeah, you have to be a rocket scientist to get the Daily show or Colbert They are just so far over the masses heads
                    Some TDS fans are not amused.

http://twitchy.com/2014/09/26/besieg...irection-joke/
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

In Dewhurst's defense, he's lost consecutive primary elections to Ted Cruz and a far-right radio host turned far-right state senator. Clearly, he needs to turn the derp up to 11 to remain politically relevant in the state.
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                        Hell has no fury like a teenage girl scorned.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                          A likely unrelated story: I was watching the 2012 election with my girlfriend who is, bless her heart, a "blind" liberal. Loves Obama but does not really know why. She was very nervous about the election (for some reason) and I had Fox News on for the election coverage. She was getting increasingly annoyed with it, and asked me several times why I had it on that channel. I dodged the questions several times until Fox called it for Obama. When that happened she was confident with the call. I then explained that is why I had it on because Fox would be the last news network to falsely call an election for Obama. Bias can be an effective tool if you recognize it.
                          The tricky part.

β€œWhat do you mean, Phib?" asked Miss Squeers, looking in her own little glass, where, like most of us, she saw - not herself, but the reflection of some pleasant image in her own brain.” ― Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            Hell has no fury like a teenage girl scorned.
                            Daily Show writers did not learn rule #1 of boy bands: Never make fun of them in front of their teenage fans.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

They couldn't have been briefed in Washington?
                              http://m.townhall.com/news/politicse...fings-n1897621
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                They couldn't have been briefed in Washington?
                                http://m.townhall.com/news/politicse...fings-n1897621
                                We love LOVE to waste money. Love it.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X