This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Al-Jazeera America is actually pretty good - refreshing lack of tabloid articles.

Comment

On Election Night 2012, by far the best coverage was on BBC America. Fox had Karl Rove trying to undo the election results and Bill O'Reilly speaking for millions of old people who the world has passed by, MSNBC had high fives all around, while on CNN John King was claiming we still lived in a center-right country on a night where the left retained the Presidency and gained seats in the House and Senate.

Meanwhile with no fear of being called biased the BBC called it like it was, tellingly pointing out that if Romney was going to have a good night North Carolina should have been called for him pretty soon after the polls closed. A simple statement but more wisdom in one sentence than the rest of the networks combined (actually PBS wasn't bad, they're just a little too low key, like watching a poetry reading or something...)

But, back to the subject at hand, any TV show putting Dick Cheney on and asking him softball questions about Iraq deserves to be laughed off the air. What's next, getting investment advice from Bernie Madoff in his prison cell?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I'm sure it was but to who and at what price? What else is Iraq good for? Getting to Iran?
        You want to compare oil prices from then to now? Toss in the cost of GWII while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          You want to compare oil prices from then to now? Toss in the cost of GWII while you're at it.
          I'm not comparing anything, Rover wanted to know why anyone would want to go back into Iraq, Oil is the answer.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I'm not comparing anything, Rover wanted to know why anyone would want to go back into Iraq, Oil is the answer.
            Except that it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Except that it's not.
              Why then?
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Why then?
                Exactly.

Comment

The "blood for oil" meme never had any basis in reality. It was a Democrat campaign slogan, but in reality the U.S. companies never even bid on oil rights after Saddam got strung up. In fact China got most of the contracts with the new government, largely uncontested. IMO it was a mistake on our part to lay low at that point, if we had gotten some oil rights at least there would have been some benefit to the work of freeing them up in the first place. We did a great job of trading our blood for China's future economic security.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    The "blood for oil" meme never had any basis in reality. It was a Democrat campaign slogan, but in reality the U.S. companies never even bid on oil rights after Saddam got strung up. In fact China got most of the contracts with the new government, largely uncontested. IMO it was a mistake on our part to lay low at that point, if we had gotten some oil rights at least there would have been some benefit to the work of freeing them up in the first place. We did a great job of trading our blood for China's future economic security.
                    I don't think we got into Iraq over oil. It was more a neo-conservative world view that we could go over there, kick some @ ss, and force Iraq, Syria, and then even Iran to become liberal democracies complete with constitutions drawn up by a US overlord (I think Bremer was called "Viceroy" or some nonsense like that).

However, we were sold the bill of goods constantly that Iraqi oil would pay for our costs over there, which makes me wonder why none of it ended up coming our way. Yet another miscalculation. At this point I doubt Iraqi oil makes up that much of the world supply, and if they're so concerned about the situation perhaps the Saudis can pump more to make up the difference.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Wrong. It was for oil.

http://www.politicsplus.org/blog/201...why-we-did-it/
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        However, we were sold the bill of goods constantly that Iraqi oil would pay for our costs over there, which makes me wonder why none of it ended up coming our way. Yet another miscalculation. At this point I doubt Iraqi oil makes up that much of the world supply, and if they're so concerned about the situation perhaps the Saudis can pump more to make up the difference.
                        That bill of goods never made any sense to those who understand the Middle East and world oil markets. The money we put into Iraq was never coming back to us. The best we might get is a decent stable Iraq, though that was never a likely outcome.

My understanding is that Iraq is now a fairly large oil producer again, and if their supplies disappeared off world oil markets, it would be quite noticeable, though not cataclysmic.
                        Originally posted by Priceless
                        Good to see you're so reasonable.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                        Very well, said.
                        Originally posted by Rover
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

They were never "free", it's been tyranny by Shia majority this entire time. Thus, the rise of this "ISIL" group.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            The money we put into Iraq was never coming back to us.
                            Not us. Them. The war was fought and paid for by the middle and lower classes in both countries, to protect the economic interests of the upper classes. Wars are welfare systems.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              We were told by the Tories that the entire war would last a few weeks and cost 1-3 billion, which would be paid back by the grateful Iraqis from their oil revenues. So yes, it was very much planned to be 'blood for oil.' However, the war lasted a little longer than a few weeks, cost 1-3 TRillion, the Iraqis weren't grateful and sure as hell aren't paying us back from oil revenues as gas approaches $4 a gallon. So no, I guess blood for oil didn't have any basis in reality after all. It was blood for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Not us. Them. The war was fought and paid for by the middle and lower classes in both countries, to protect the economic interests of the upper classes. Wars are welfare systems.
                                I assumed the poster I was responding to was taking issue with all the money the U.S. government (us or at least our tax and borrowed money) put into Iraq. There are obviously other important dimensions to the war, but regarding finances, we poured a lot of money in there and I don't think it was reasonable to expect to see that money come back to us in any form, including as oil exports or revenues.
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X