X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Global War on Terror 5.0: Putin on the Risk

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Still waiting for something to back this up.
    If - indicates a situation that may occur.
    a guy (as opposed to the guy) - a general statement. The guy would indicate a specific person. A guy in a general statement.

So, "if a guy flips sides" is a general statement that applies, in this context, that my opinion is that any soldier who flips sides in no longer a US soldier. If I had written "The guy flipped sides and he is no longer a US soldier" then that would be a declarative sentence and would require proof that somebody authoritatively ascertained that Sgt. Bergdahl changed sides. Right now the waters are muddy on which side of the street Sgt. Bergdahl is walking.

Do I think he's a deserter? Probably. AWOL? Most assuredly. Traitor? That remains to be seen. It's one thing to be captured in combat and then spill your knowledge under interrogation vs. walking away from your post and sharing your knowledge with the enemy. The facts, eventually, will speak for themselves.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      If - indicates a situation that may occur.
      a guy (as opposed to the guy) - a general statement. The guy would indicate a specific person. A guy in a general statement.

So, "if a guy flips sides" is a general statement that applies, in this context, that my opinion is that any soldier who flips sides in no longer a US soldier. If I had written "The guy flipped sides and he is no longer a US soldier" then that would be a declarative sentence and would require proof that somebody authoritatively ascertained that Sgt. Bergdahl changed sides. Right now the waters are muddy on which side of the street Sgt. Bergdahl is walking.

Do I think he's a deserter? Probably. AWOL? Most assuredly. Traitor? That remains to be seen. It's one thing to be captured in combat and then spill your knowledge under interrogation vs. walking away from your post and sharing your knowledge with the enemy. The facts, eventually, will speak for themselves.
      Don't pull that "I'm just asking questions" bullshiat when the question is a clearly loaded one pulled out of thin air. That makes you look as disingenuous as fishy's "Im an independent who just happens to side entirely with the GOP" bit.

What sources have you read that makes the water murky about him possibly being a traitor? Because there's been absolutely nothing I've seen that comes anywhere close to accusing him of aiding and abetting the enemy. Desertion? yes. Traitor? You apparently pulled that out of your ***, since you still haven't provided anything backing that up.

But I guess you'd have no problem with me making the statement, "If joecct beats his wife, he's an ***hole," since I'm not actually saying you beat your wife.
      Last edited by unofan; 06-04-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

More knuckledraggers complain that Obama broke the law by not consulting congress
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

I did not realize that Sen. Feinstein had come over to the dark side. In all seriousness, members on both sides are not happy with the administration.

And now comes news that President Feckless and his crew bypassed the intel community, which was dead set against the swap.

The Obama administration largely bypassed the intelligence community to green-light the risky swap of five Taliban leaders for American Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, officials tell Fox News, as new details emerge about concerns with the deal at the highest levels of President Obama's team.

A military intelligence source also confirmed to Fox News that a second option -- involving the payment of a cash ransom for Bergdahl's freedom -- was pursued as late as December 2013.

SNIP

Further, top officials including Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta were firmly against the proposed transfer in 2012 after it was first floated.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            I did not realize that Sen. Feinstein had come over to the dark side. In all seriousness, members on both sides are not happy with the administration.

And now comes news that President Feckless and his crew bypassed the intel community, which was dead set against the swap.
            Oh the irony of calling him feckless while railing against him for doing his own thing...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Don't pull that "I'm just asking questions" bullshiat when the question is a clearly loaded one pulled out of thin air. That makes you look as disingenuous as fishy's "Im an independent who just happens to side entirely with the GOP" bit.

What sources have you read that makes the water murky about him possibly being a traitor? Because there's been absolutely nothing I've seen that comes anywhere close to accusing him of aiding and abetting the enemy. Desertion? yes. Traitor? You apparently pulled that out of your ***, since you still haven't provided anything backing that up.

But I guess you'd have no problem with me making the statement, "If joecct beats his wife, he's an ***hole," since I'm not actually saying you beat your wife.
              I never said Sgt. Bergdahl was a traitor. I'm awaiting further information from the news wires (not Fox - SURPRISE!) before I cross that line. I DID call him a probable deserter.

As to the last sentence - nope. Logic (from what I remember from college) has if (statement) then (conclusion). If the statement resolves false, then the conclusion is always true. Thus, if the South won the Civil War, then the Maple Leafs are the defending Stanley Cup champions is a true statement.

So I guess I am an *******, no matter what.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Remind me, is "far right" in Europe the equivalent of moderate or Democratic here in the US?
                When a government in Europe goes far right tens of millions wind up dead.

Comment

Sniper rifle for the Average shooter! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...way-with-ease/

Now if they can use this tech on my driver, I think we have something, Farquahr!

And, if you need more firepower, it is going up for auction, here... http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...?SaleCode=LC14
                  Last edited by joecct; 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Now if they can use this tech on my driver, I think we have something, Farquahr!
                    Cmon, Joe. That would take the fun out of golf.

Anyone can play down the middle, but it takes a real man to play out of the trees!
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I think we should be careful about condemning Bergdahl absent an authoritative accounting of his actions. To be sure, things definitely don't look good for him now. But there's plenty of time to settle up as required. As to the release of Taliban "commanders," we're not talking about Rommel here. These dudes will quickly return to playing croquet with donkey turds.

I'm even feeling a twinge (just a twinge, mind you) of sympathy for Obama here. He figured this would change the subject from his VA ineptitude. I doubt this is what he had in mind. He reminds me of the guy who goes out on his front porch on Halloween to stomp on the burning bag of dog poop. Besides, how could anyone doubt Ms. Rice's analysis of Bergdahl's service, given her record for candor?
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 06-05-2014, 02:56 AM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        And if Obama had let the guy die over there the same people who are now criticizing him would have lambasted him for letting a brave soldier rot in captivity.
                        http://wonkette.com/550737/figures-stupidest-man-on-internet-disgusted-that-obama-would-abandon-bergdahl-rescue-bergdahl

I rest my case.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Remind me, is "far right" in Europe the equivalent of moderate or Democratic here in the US?
                          No, it's more like hitler. Actual ****ing hitler
                          http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NFEeS2OXpoI
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Resubscribed
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Jeebus, no one gets a stupid joke in these threads do they? Of course I've heard of the BNP, and I'm sure there are other neo-fascist parties in Europe that are similar, but what percentages are we talking here?

Comment

Quick impression, conservative alter-ego of Nancy Pelosi:

BLAME JIMMY CARTER! http://joeforamerica.com/2014/06/ber...-jimmy-carter/

Comment

Working...
                                X